CBEST

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by cutie425, Feb 26, 2008.

1. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 21, 2008

RE: A website with sample test for CBEST and other test

Hi,

I also found this website:

Test Prep Review (I can't post links yet :( )

I don't know about the accuracy of the problems for the CBEST or other test, but it gives good practice so I thought I would pass it along. Over on the left the test are located and when you click on the test you get options of which areas you want to practice. At the bottom of the practice you can click the page with the magnifying glass and get the correct answers. The test shows how many you get wrong and what you get right along with the correct answers for the ones scored wrong. Unfortunately, it doesn't give examples of how to get the correct answer. However, it gives another option for studying and finding weak areas. :2up:

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2008

Turn Sue's and Mary's and Tom's rates each into fractions: Sue's rate is 1 room/2 days, Mary's is 1 room/4 days, and Tom's is 1 room/7 days. Add the fractions together to get a combined rate, then use the rate formula d=rt where the "distance" is one room.

3. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 22, 2008

The actual problem and solution

If Sally can paint a house in 4 hours, and John can paint the same house in 6 hour, how long will it take for both of them to paint the house together?

I forgot that this was done in hours. However, it should still be solved in the same way.

So I would add 1/4 + 1/6, which is 5/12 then use the formula d=rt. With the distance being the 1 house. This would give me 2 and 2/5? The answer given is 2 hours and 24 minutes. So I guess I need to figure the 2/5 of an hour?

Thanks for your help with this.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2008

Pretty much. As you work any problem, keep an eye on the answers, and eliminate the stupid ones as their stupidity becomes apparent. And if you don't see the answer you got in the form that you got it (in this case, 2 2/5 hr), then look for an answer that might be a restatement of it (2 hr 24 min). This is the same logic by which, having come up with 12/5 hr, you converted it to 2 2/5 hr. The correct answer could also have been 144 min, or 2.4 hr, or even (though this would be weird) 240% of an hour - among the things the test tests is whether you can correctly convert among fractions, decimals, and percentages.

5. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 23, 2008

Thanks!

Thanks. :)

I've been focusing on the conversions. I'm studying Cliffnotes study guide right now.

So I could change the .4 into a ratio equation: 60:1 = x:.4 giving me 24 minutes.

The cliffnotes is pretty good. It gives test after test then gives the answers and then gives a longer explanation of each answer, which is sort of nice.

I'm trying to practice as much as I can before the test. I have a workshop a week before the class so hopefully I will be fully prepared. I've noticed in the time I have been studying much more of the math has come back to me. I wish that I could have taken a little refresher course before the test, but I couldn't find any such thing other than the study guides and the one day workshop. When I go to the workshop I want to know where my weaknesses might be so I can focus on that the last week before the test.

Thanks for your help. :up: God, it's a lot of work to get my brain to remember this stuff, but I finally started to remember it. I finished my math first so I took it a long time ago. I was talking to my boss, who almost majored in math, but then decided not to and she said that she had forgotten most of it. It's amazing how quickly you forget, if you don't keep using it.

Anyway, I am glad that I happened upon this website! It gives me another way to communicate with other teachers or those aspiring to teach. :clap:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2008

I'm glad that Cliffs is working for you. What's the copyright date on your copy?

7. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 24, 2008

Cliff Notes 6th edition 2000

Hi,

My Cliff Notes edition is the 2000 6th edition. I probably should have just gone ahead and purchased the more updated version. I think that there is a 2004, but this was one was half the price. I purchased the updated Learning Express that was recommended by another poster. I have another problem and here it is:

At the beginning of a class period, half of the students in a class go to the library. Later in the period, half of the remaining students go to the computer lab. If there are 8 students remaining in the class, how many students were originally in the class?

The answer is 32, but I thought it was 24. If the answer is 32 then I know that 8 was multiplied by 4.

1/2 library
    1/2 computer lab
    +8 remaining
    = x

I just can't figure out what the equation would look like. Is it :

1/2 (1/2) = 8 + x

If so why? Any help is much appreciated. Makes me wish I could take a review class of math. I used to know all this stuff and I got to the point that it was fun to figure out the answer. Almost like doing a puzzle.

:thanks:

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2008

Math IS fun, tc10, and it'll come back to you.

The trick to the question you've posted is to remember that each 1/2 is 1/2 of SOMETHING. You've chosen to call your something "x", and that works. So then half of something go to the library: that's 1/2x. And then half of the remaining students go to the lab: that's 1/2(1/2x), or 1/4x. And eight students are left over. You can legitimately set this up as

1/2x + 1/4x = x - 8

or as

1/2x + 1/4x + 8 = x

as you prefer.

This is also a very important point as regards percentages: they have to be OF something.

I asked about your edition of Cliffs because CBEST math got changed in 2002: there are questions now on the test that aren't covered by Cliffs, notably in test-score interpretation, and questions covered by Cliffs that aren't now on the test.

9. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 25, 2008

Thanks for the heads up on the change in CBEST

Thanks for the heads up on the change of CBEST in 2002. I did wonder about changes and reviewing older editions. So I should get the newest edition.

Math is like figuring out a puzzle so it drives me crazy when I can't figure out the solution. What a tricky problem! Even figuring the problem was strange because you have to remember that only the x's can be added but you have to deal with all the fractions. Eventually, you get 3x + 32 = 4x so then subtract the 3x from each side and
    x = 32!

I think that I definitely better head down to the bookstore and get the newest edition of CliffNotes. I liked the way the study guide was set up. I'll just keep practicing. Hopefully what I am weak in, I can pick up at the workshop. I'm getting better but some stuff still throws me.

Thanks for you help. :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2008

The LearningExpress book should suffice for that material, actually; check it out before spending money on another Cliffs.

11. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 26, 2008

RE: Learning Express

Hi,

I looked for an updated Cliff Notes but 2000 is the most up-to-date so I told the store that the test had changed in 2002 and they should look into whether that guide book is of use anymore. They said that they would check. I purchased a Barrons 2008 edition. It should have the most up to date stuff. I will work on the Learning Express and Barrons. What do you think of Barrons?

The Kaplans, I went through and I think it was 2003 or 2004. However, when I went through Kaplans, I just started to get my feet wet. I also picked up a book on Geometry since I have never taken geometry. I work at a library and I will check with them too on the most up-to-date information because I think that the library still has some old editions of CBEST. It can't hurt to review the information, but it is a bit annoying that someone might not be getting the information that they really need. :soapbox: I would hate for someone to study the guide and go to the test thinking that they know what to expect and then get something different. :eek:

It's odd that the study guides seem so different. I sure hope that when I attend the workshop it all comes together in some way!:unsure:

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 26, 2008

Wait, wait, wait. One should ALWAYS be prepared for the test to have unexpected things on it. Among the biggest causes of difficulty on CBEST is people expecting the questions to be just like the ones in the test prep book and then getting totally rattled when something's asked a little differently.

Having said which... you probably don't need the geometry book; that's high-school geometry, which does not rear its ugly head on CBEST. If you can do perimeter, circumference, and very simple area (and Cliffs is bound to cover you on that), you're good to go.

As to prep books, the 2004 LearningExpress should be fine; there have been tweaks to CBEST in the last couple of years, but nothing major.

13. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 27, 2008

RE: Test differences

Hi,

Well, I guess that is why it is good that all the study guides seem to vary. It gives me lots of practice on different problems and solving them. The Barrons is rather hard only because we can't use a calculator :( and some of the problems are rather lengthy. I'm trying to make myself get used to not using a calculator. Even in Math 254 pre-Algebra we used calculators for simple math so we could go through the problems quicker. It seems rather archaic to not let us use a calculator, but I guess that they have their reasons.

Do you mean the test could be like the older version study guides? :dunno:

14. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 27, 2008

Oops that is use not used

Oops error, "use" not "used".

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2008

The test is generally closer to the online practice test than it is to, say, Cliffs. And the math's generally simple enough that you really shouldn't need a calculator - the idea is to ensure that people do actually know how to do the math if they haven't got one.

The study guides vary because they're written by different people with different orientations influenced by different other study guides. It's best to look at them all and choose the one that works for you.

16. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 28, 2008

OK thanks

Ok. I am feeling much more comfortable with the math. I took a break because I was starting to feel like I was over doing it. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks just practicing. I liked the Cliff because it had lots of practice test with good examples of how to solve. I've been working on the Barron's and the Learning Express. I've still got the workshop on the 6th so I should be good. Thanks for all your help.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2008

Sounds promising.

Have you been rewarding yourself for what you're getting better at? If not, do, please.

18. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 29, 2008

Reward

Actually, I guess I did reward myself with some new little Mexican straw bags I got off ebay. :clap:Also, I've been trying to give myself breaks by reading a book that I want to read, if I practice the math first. :party: I've been reading A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz. Thus far I really like the book. You keep wanting to find out what happens to poor little Maud. The book was the 2008 Newbery Medal Winner. Most of the time I spend on studying math. I just have to practice it over and over.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 29, 2008

(chuckling)

Hm... make yourself up some math problems based on the book? Or the straw bags?

20. tc10

tc10 Rookie

May 30, 2008

Can't wait for the bags

I can't wait for the straw bags. I'm a sucker for those little vintage mexican straw bags with all the doo-dads on them. They are nice for shopping and the flea market. I'm going to start on the Learning Express. I completed the Barron's. My last practice test was the best so far, but I keep getting tripped up on that same problem because it gets switched around. So I better keep practicing it so I have it down. I'm hoping the workshop will give us some good tips. I feel prepared for the workshop and I think that I am ready to prepare my questions. :woot:

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2008

You can always ask here, too, tc10.

22. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

Thanks.

Thanks. I might take you up on that if I get stuck again. I took a break today and didn't look at math.

23. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 2, 2008

Okay, this one just doesn't make sense to me

I happened upon this problem in Learning Express. The problem states:

Thirty percent of the high school is involved in athletics. If 15% of the athletes play football, what percentage of the whole school plays football?

In the answer, they multiply 30% with 15% to get 4.5%. Wouldn't the school be 100%? The wording doesn't make sense to me. Any help is much appreciated. Why would I multiply with the 30%?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2008

The whole school would be 100%, yes. So if 30% of the school is in athletics, that's 30% of 100%, right? But not every athletes plays football - some will be gymnasts, for example, or tennis players. So if 15% of the people who are athletes are football players, then that would be 15% of that 30% that we already found, right? And "of" means "multiply", so that's 15% x 30%.

One way to work a question like this is to choose a number that represents 100% that's easy to work with mentally - let 100% = 100 students. Then 30 of those students are athletes, because 30% of 100 is 30, and then 15% of those 30 athletes are football players, and that's 4.5, which is impossible in the real world but corresponds to 4.5% of the original 100 students.

25. ssac1687

ssac1687 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

I have my CBEST next Saturday...does anyone have any websites that would be useful to help me prepare for the math portion.
    I have my book, but have done all the problems on there, as well as the ones located on the CBEST website.

Thanks for the support!!
    :hugs:

26. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Thanks! I forget that tip about plugging in numbers.

Thanks. That makes sense. It's a good idea to plug in numbers to the problem so that it can seem real. I'm sort of disgruntled with the Learning Express. :mad: I went through the math review, but the questions are much tougher than anything in the review, including going over problems that are not reviewed such as putting a circle and triangle together to find the area. :mad: I wish the review was a little more extensive and the answers were more detailed in how they got the results. I felt confident with the Barron's and have lost some of my confidence while working the Learning Express. :unsure: I hope that the CBEST math workshop gives me a good idea of what to expect and more tips on remembering ways to solved problems. I go to the workshop this Friday morning. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help. The Learning Express is making me think I should have got a tutor afterall! :unsure:I don't understand the angles at all. I never studied geometry. I think that I could solve basic geometry such as finding a perimeter or area, but if it gets tricky, I'll have trouble. :eek:

27. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Hi,

There are quite a few study guides and I found that they are all different. You could pick up another study guide. There is a website called "Ask Dr. Math" which gives lots of different math problems. And there is something called "Test Prep Review" which I might go back to for practice. Where are you taking your test? I'm taking mine at Aptos High School. Are you going to San Jose State? They have a workshop on the CBEST math this Friday on campus. You can go to San Jose State University website and check LARC to see if you can still attend the workshop. I hope this helps. Good luck! :)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2008

If Barron's works for you, tc10, I'll admit to being a bit surprised, but go for it.

The geometry on CBEST shouldn't get beyond areas and perimeters, really, and maybe very simple stuff with angles (a straight angle is a straight line of 180 degrees, as in "doing a 180" meaning turning around; a right angle is a 90-degree angle, like a corner; the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees, always, so if you're told you've got a right triangle, you know the other two angles have to add up to 90 degrees).

There are two tricks with the circle-plus-triangle question. One is figuring out that the weird-looking shape does in fact consist of simpler shapes for which we have formulas. You seem to have gotten that part. (The technical term for this is dissection: we're dissecting the complex shape into simpler components... just as we do in other areas of math, where for example we dissect the total cost of a dress into the dress-before-tax component and the sales-tax component.) The other trick is realizing that part of the area of the whole figure may be shared by the simpler figures. On CBEST the amount shared will usually be something straightforward - that is, your triangle-plus-circle is probably actually a triangle plus a HALF circle, so you use the triangle formula and the circle formula, but you take HALF the circle.

Tutoring and/or a good prep class can often be a great idea. Schools of education and county offices of education are excellent sources for referrals.

29. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 5, 2008

You didn't like Barron's?

The Barron's is the 2008 edition. It seems to be pretty thorough. You didn't like it Teacher Groupie? I was good at math when I consistently did it. Too bad they don't have a short class to refresh your memory on math. Many of us once we finish General ed., don't take further math classes. I think at the community college, where I work, there is a math class specifically for those who want to be teachers. Unfortunately, I didn't figure out that I wanted to teach until recently and the semester had begun already. Had I thought of it sooner, I probably would have taken the class to refresh my memory. Perhaps I am worrying for nothing. I hope so. I tend to like to be over prepared for test. I've always preferred writing papers or doing research papers to taking test. I'll be glad when the test is behind me. :tired:

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2008

Oho! Barrons 2008? I'll have to take a look.

The math-for-teachers class is probably a prerequisite for the credential program you're eyeing. It might or might not help with CBEST: it's mostly about math concepts and how one will teach them. (My first brush with the lattice method for multiplication came in the course of tutoring a student. The class also did bases - which drove everyone crazy - and explored a variety of visual and manipulative models for fractions, among other things.)

There do exist refresher classes for CBEST/CSET-MS math; one just needs to know where to look for them.

31. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

Barron's and CBEST

THe Barron's is pretty close to the test given on the website but it switches some problems around and makes some more difficult.

Yes, the CBEST is for the credential program at San Jose State University. I have to pass the test so I can be accepted into the teaching program. It is just one of the requirements before we are accepted into the program. I have to pass an interview in December. Right now I am concentrating on the CBEST because it is the biggest obstacle. I can't hand in any of my applications without the scores showing I passed.

I'm really excited to start the teaching program!:woot:

32. Sam Aye M

Sam Aye M Mr. Know-It-All

Jun 14, 2008

I just came home from taking the CBEST in so Cal. I think I did good, and am confident I passed all three sections. I just wish they could grade the dang things while I sat and waited. :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2008

(chuckling)

There, there. You'll have the results for multiple choice soon, Sam Aye M.

34. tc10

tc10 Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

I just finished CBEST in northern CA

I finished. I don't know how well I did. :unsure: I could have made mistakes and a couple of the math, I felt unsure on. I just hope I passed. The writing part was probably the easiest for me. Then the reading comprehension. Although there were some tricky ones on the reading comprehension. But the math, I struggled with a couple of problems and it was mainly the ones that deal with geometry. :down: I knew this was my weak point. :mad: Now I have to sweat it out until June 30th! :unsure:

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2008

Awwww, tc10. Here's a hug.

36. Sam Aye M

Jun 15, 2008

I happen to teach Algebra and Algebra 2, so the math was a breeze for me. I would be surprised if I got any of them wrong. I don't remember any geometry being on the CBEST though.

The writing was easy for me, I just had a difficult time containing myself to the two pages provided. I ten to write very long and be descriptive, so it was a small struggle, but I know I can write, and I would be surprised if I didn't pass the writing section. I've never not passed a writing test in my life.

The reading comprehension was the hardest for me, which is odd, because I am a pretty good reader too. I'm used to breezing through these things, and I actually had to stop and think about some of the answers. I am sure I got a few wrong. I am just glad that I bothered to take the practice exam at the CBEST website, cause it sure prepared me to know what to expect on the reading comprehension part. I think I surely would have failed it had I went in blind.

Fourteen more days before scores are posted. Phew!

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2008

People who write well are often disappointed in their CBEST essay scores: it isn't that they don't pass, it's that they don't excel by as much as they expected to.

38. Sam Aye M

Jun 16, 2008

All I care about is getting a passing score so I never have to take that test again!

:)

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2008

That's the right attitude!

40. SSA

SSA Companion

Jun 16, 2008

The same here. I did far better on the math than any of the other sections and I hadn't taken a math course in several years.

I think part of it is that the essay section of the CBEST and a lot of other standardized tests that have an essay portion tend to look for real cookie cutter essays.