cbest writing

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by pqr123, Sep 25, 2019.

1. pqr123

pqr123 New Member

Sep 25, 2019

Hi, I have a similar concern like others regarding CBEST writing part. I scored a 33. Topic 1 (expository) essay needed 1) Usage and 2) Structure and convention improvement

Please guide me on the following :

1. Do I have to restate the topic in the introduction. I followed a template - some people say ........, others say........, but after a careful thought I believe that ......

Is that something which I should have avoided ?

2. 3 body paragraphs had 3 reasons why I'm opposing the issue -

3. Conclusion - Based on the reasons above, I oppose the issue though some proponents opine differently.

Please suggest any changes/tips. I'm desperate to get this writing test out of my way.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2019

"Structure and conventions" doesn't refer to how your argument is structured: that's covered by "organization" and, to some extent, by "support and development".

Instead, the "structure" in "structure and conventions" is focusing on sentence structure - that is, formal English grammar: whether the writer can use simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences correctly, whether sequence of tense is correct throughout, whether pronoun reference is always clear, whether the writer avoids dangling participles, and the like. "Conventions" has to do primarily with spelling and punctuation.

"Usage" focuses on vocabulary: whether the writer can select words that are both accurate and precise ("strolling" and "striding" are both types of walking, and neither should be confused with "shuffling" or "limping"), and whether the writer can deploy words idiomatically (your "after a careful thought" above is unidiomatic - "thought" in the phrase "after __" is a mass noun, not a count noun, and so can't take an indefinite article; "after a little thought" works because, here, "a little" is functionally a quantitative adjective like "some").

Your score of 33 is pretty close to the minimal pass score of 37. Your best bet is to find or hire someone to work with you on writing who will pay attention to CBEST standards - AND to the sample essays.

4. Sunny Ho

Sunny Ho New Member

Oct 21, 2019

My highest CBSET writing score is 33. I got 29 last time, and it was the fifth time I took only the writing part. I feel so frustrating. I hope to find a tutor that can teach me.

5. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 21, 2019

I am new to California. I was a teacher until last year. I came from Malaysia to California. I wanted to continue my teaching career. But I find it is tough to meet the requirements. I have been holding back and have not applied to sit for CBEST because of the writing section. I would like to get some opinions from people who experienced or have gone through the path of becoming a teacher.
    If I have about 10 years of teaching experience (teaching mathematics and science in grades 4 and 5) in a country outside the United States, with a bachelor's degree in non-education and a Cambridge diploma in teaching and learning certificate.
    Can I apply for the preliminary teaching credential after I pass the CBEST exam?
    Or I have to take the CSET for Maths exam first?

By the way, May I have your email address in order to discuss about CBEST test?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 21, 2019

Welcome to A to Z, WongHF.

If you haven't already done so, go to https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/req-teaching, and click on the "General Education Teaching Credentials" bar to drop down a menu of options for multiple subjects vs. single subject credentials. (Multiple subjects is for elementary school, roughly grades kindergarten through 6, in which one teacher typically teaches all the subjects to one group of students. If you want to teach math or science, what you'll need is a single subject credential.) Click on one of the links in that menu for "Outside the United States Prepared". That will bring up a document that lays out what is required for someone in your position to obtain a preliminary credential. Read it carefully. If you still have questions, you may need to speak with a credential analyst. You should be able to find one at the nearest county office of education, or COE.

7. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 21, 2019

Thank you very much, TeacherGroupie.