CBEST Writing Test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by anjumelkani, Aug 3, 2005.

1. anjumelkani

anjumelkani New Member

Aug 3, 2005

Hi, My name is AM and I am new here and appearing in cbest writing test at aug 13th, any tips for me?

3. pkhan

pkhan Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

What I did was got hold of all the cbest books in the library, like cliffs, barrons and kaplans and solved the tests at the end of the books, my weakness was math hence concentrated on it a lot. Give some time on the essay writing too cause I freaked out on it during the exams and somehow managed to clear it. Anyways the cbest is easier compared to cset. i shall be giving the cset for the first time next month. All the best for your exams.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

The scorers care less what you say than how you say it. You'll probably have a persuasive essay and a personal narrative. The persuasive essay prompt poses an issue and usually requires you to choose one side or the other and argue for it in a formal five-paragraph essay. For tips on how to write one, take a look at the SparkChart on THE NEW SAT: WRITING - you can find this at most Barnes & Noble bookstores for about $5. The personal narrative prompt is more open-ended: typically, it invites you to tell a story about a person or situation that affected you positively or negatively. You don't have to tell the truth about your own experience, but you do need to tell a good story that is structured and that makes the point the question asks for while including enough vivid descriptive words to help make the story come alive for your reader.

5. shersa

shersa New Member

Aug 16, 2005

I used the study guides to prepare for the CBEST. I ended up changing one of my essays towards the end of the period and still passed. Good luck!