CBEST writing test for non native speaker

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by aledgamero, May 22, 2015.

1. aledgamero

aledgamero New Member

May 22, 2015

CBEST writing test for non-native speaker

Hello,
    My name is Alexandra, and I am planning to become a Spanish teacher. I took the CBEST test on May. I passed the math (42), reading (50), but I did not passed the writing (26). I am planning to take it again, but I would like to have some advice.
    My first language is Spanish; I learned English at 24 years old. I took three years of college in The USA including English 101. My questions are: How can I improve the usage of the language? Did somebody else have the same experience? How many times did they take the test in order to pass? What mistakes did they correct? How should I sign for the writing computer base test again? Do they give you four hours for the two essays? Can anybody suggest a good tutor for CBEST writing in the San Fernando Valley?
    Thank you,

Alexandra

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2015

Welcome to A to Z!

To pass the writing section of CBEST and thus the whole thing, you need 37 scaled points. (You amassed enough points in the other two sections that you don't actually need a full pass.) And, yes, you will get all four hours for just the one section next time.

You mentioned that your diagnostic indicators showed a need to improve in usage. Was there anything else in which you needed to improve?

4. aledgamero

aledgamero New Member

May 22, 2015

Thank you for answering my questions.

It says:
    Performance in topic 1(need for improvement in Usage)
    Performance in topic 2 (need for improvement in usage, structure and conventions)
    Scale score 26

Thank you,

Ale

5. veracholakian

veracholakian New Member

May 22, 2015

Hi Alexandra
    I wonder how you pass the reading section. Could you please give me an advice such as what to study. I am done with my classes and i need to pass the cbest. please.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2015

Ah: I thought there might be a bit more than just usage. If it's any consolation, though, your areas that need improvement are the areas where native speakers of English most often need to improve, too. This is the more impressive given your age when you started learning English!

"Usage" has to do with deploying enough college-level words correctly enough to convince the scorers that you have a secure grasp of educated English vocabulary. People generally get U either because they haven't sprinkled some grownup collegiate language into their writing or because they have misused some of the words they've used.

"Structure and conventions" refers to errors in what English 101 should have called "mechanics": spelling errors, punctuation errors, errors in sentence structure (such as failures of number agreement, errors in sequence of tenses, or errors in parallel structure).

Do I guess correctly that you know more than one other language in addition to Spanish and English?

7. aledgamero

aledgamero New Member

May 23, 2015

Hello Vero,
    I suggest just to practice the tests sample from CBEST. Then, you can get books for CBEST preparation. Most of the books such as CliffsNotes have harder questions than the actual test. Look for the ones that have similar questions to the sample test. The tutorials in the books are helpful too.

Ale

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2015

Let me recommend Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, published by LearningExpress.

9. aledgamero

aledgamero New Member

May 24, 2015

Teachergroupie, do yo know if Learning Express has something
    similar for writing?
    Ale

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2015

Yes: Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day.

11. chely

chely Rookie

Jan 13, 2017

did you pass the test alexandra?