CBEST Writing Scores posted for 2/10!!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by fidoprincess, Mar 5, 2007.

1. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Good Luck Everyone! I didn't think we would get the scores this early in the day. I am happy that I passed the WHOLE test now.

3. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Hooray!!

Congratulations fidoprincess!

The writing scores are indeed out! I also passed and I'm done with CBEST. Now it's on to CSET and the fun never ends!

Gordon

4. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

I need help of CBEST writing. Does anybody have some suggestions about good CBEST writing tutor, near San Diego?

I have tried many times of CBEST writing, and this time I felt the best, and I did meet the minumum standard of the second essay, but need improvement on the first one. So I got 33 again, I feel very frustrated.

Please help me.
    Thank you.

5. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Juiceitup,

I didn't really use the Kaplan book to help me pass the writing section. The most help I had was from a public speaking class I took last year. Using the basic outlining skills and speech writing formats that they taught for writing different types of speeches, persuasive mostly, I passed with a 53.

Format is similar to what they say about the writing in Kaplan and other books: Write an opening paragraph or couple of sentences to say what you are writing about. Take a paragraph to give about 3 examples. Take three paragraphs, one for each example, to give details to your examples and then summarize what you wrote about refereing back to your opening paragraph.

This sounds a bit simplistics and is really the concept I worked around. You have to spice it up with as much personal knowledge and whatever facts you think you might know to really get your score higher than minimum.

May not be perfect, but it worked for me on the Persuasive essay. On the Personal experience type question, to be perfectly honest, I had a great life experience to share and limited time so I just wrote fast, told the story the way it happened and made sure it covered the topic.

Good luck!

Gordon

6. juiceitup

juiceitup Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Thanks so much Gordon.

But I still feel too hard!

Thanks again

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

Congratulations, fidoprincess and Polarisail! I am so NOT surprised. Be sure you celebrate, though - and remember, when you're slogging through yet another parent letter, that CBEST writing skills come in really handy for that sort of thing.

8. youcandoit

youcandoit New Member

Mar 5, 2007

High fives to those who pass the test!

9. youcandoit

youcandoit New Member

Mar 5, 2007

I finally pass it after failing it so many times!

Maybe the hard works pay off! I spent a month to study it!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

You must be proud, youcandoit!

11. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

Juiceitup,

Here is a nice link to a really easy website that explains the 5 paragraph essay. If you can study the format and get the structure down, you will have a better chance of passing I think.

http://www.gc.maricopa.edu/English/essay/index.html

Maybe this was posted here before but it really shows everything in a simple clear way. Maybe you can write some practice essays and have someone else read them and point out any mistakes you are making. If it is grammar, then you know you need to brush up on that. If it is structure, then the above site should help quite a bit.

Good luck to you, just sign up and do it again and chances are you will pass!

Youcandoit, Congrats to you for passing!

12. daxa

daxa Rookie

May 3, 2007

CBEST help

How did you prepared for CBEST. I need help in Reading and Writing. I want to see my passing result. Please let me know
    Thanks

13. Overacheiver

Overacheiver New Member

May 8, 2007

What is the highest score possible?

Is the highest score possible different with every test? Is 191 a good score. I just have to know.
    Thank you,
    Overachiever

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2007

Each of the three sections of CBEST is scored on a scale from 20 to 80. The maximum scaled score possible is therefore 240. Passing is 123. Now you tell me whether 191 is good...

15. Overacheiver

Overacheiver New Member

May 8, 2007

Could have been better

Thank you for your answer. And HA still wondering about those other 50 points. Just kidding.
    The Cliffs CBEST test prep book was great. I did all the tests but otherwise the book is still in great shape. All you need is a blank sheet of paper to record your scores for the prep tests. I would be happy to send it on to somebody studying for the CBEST. free of course.
    First come first serve.

16. daxa

daxa Rookie

May 8, 2007

can you plese sent to me? My address is
    [edited to delete personal information]
    Thanks
    and give some tip ir order to pass CBEST reading and wiritng

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 8, 2007

Overacheiver and daxa, please check your private messages.

18. Overacheiver

Overacheiver New Member

May 9, 2007

Hello. The free test book has been claimed and as soon as I get the name and address via secret email, I will send it on to Daxa.
    Do people actually score a 240?
    Ok, I'm letting it go.

19. ymoweta

ymoweta Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

May I have the test prep book, please?

May I have the test prpe book, please?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2007

I think it already went on to Daxa, ymoweta. When are you taking CBEST?

21. ymoweta

ymoweta Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

TEST PREP

I'm taking it on the 16th of this month and I just wanted to see how the regular test looks like.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2007

Welllll... how closely the prep books mirror the actual tests is a matter of some debate.

Cliffs, I think, is still the 2002 edition, and the test has changed since then. Barrons might have brought out a new edition. Princeton Review's version is fairly current, as is the one from LearningExpress.

Have you seen the practice test on the CBEST Web site?

23. ymoweta

ymoweta Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

CBEST

I have seen it. I have practised it and would like a chance to practise some more.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2007

Ah.

From your post, I'll guess that you're most concerned about either reading comprehension or essay writing and that you're wondering whether the math could really be that easy.

Did I guess right?

25. ymoweta

ymoweta Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

True

I'm ready for the math and really concerned about the reading and writing. I do read well and just want to know if what I read is what they're looking for.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

Ah. If you read well, the big trick is not to read more into the question than is there. A good rule is to go with your first answer unless there's a very good reason to change it.

As to the writing, the persuasive essay is a standard five-paragraph exercise, and the personal narrative is a story told to make a point.

Am I correct in guessing that you are not a native speaker of English?

27. ymoweta

ymoweta Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

No

I'm from a country whose official language is English. I speak and write the language well.

Thanks for your piece of advice. I'm sure I'll do just fine.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

If I have given offense, my apologies. The spelling practise is consistent with British English, either natively learned or learned as second language from from a speaker of British English, and I assumed - unwarrantedly, it would seem - the latter.

The differences in spelling could gain you the unwanted attention of the scorers, who will indeed be expecting American English. In addition, there's the matter of punctuation: Americans use more commas than Brits do, and I believe more commas than Canadians do, and some of the British/Canadian usages are errors in American.

29. koalababe7777

koalababe7777 Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

June 16

I am taking the test on that day as well, this will be my first time taking it and to be honest..i am nervous. i believe in la jolla. where are you taking it?

30. koalababe7777

koalababe7777 Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

hi i was wondering... does anyone know how many questions are on each exam... i am using the study guide on the cbest website and each exam ... math and reading... are 50 questions. and does anyone know how many points each of these questions are worth?

31. koalababe7777

koalababe7777 Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

questions

hi, i am about to take the CBEST exam for the first time June 16th.

I was wondering for those who have taken the test already... how many questions are on each exam? and how many points are the questions worth (so that way i know how many questions i have to get correct in order to pass)? i have been practicing off of the cbest website... the practice questions that they give you.

Thank you

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2007

The Web site tells us that each of the constructed response sections (Reading Comprehension, Math) contains 50 multiple choice questions.

As to predicting the number of questions required to pass, that's an inexact art, because questions are weighted differently to reflect differences in difficulty. But it's by no means the case that you need not all questions or even most questions right in order to pass.

33. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

if you're doing well on the practice questions on the CBEST website you will be well off for the actual test. Good luck!!!

34. koalababe7777

koalababe7777 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

thank you

Thank you for letting me know. i was nervous reading people's responses and such. Thank you again.

35. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

you're welcome, I know it's very overwhelming, I remember being there, I took mine Dec '06. Keep your nerves in check (which is hard!), review any weak areas you noticed in taking the practice problems and you'll do great!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2007

koalababe, how are you generally as a test taker? How did you fare on SAT?

37. koalababe7777

koalababe7777 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

nerves :)

Thank you. that is what i am def trying to do... 1. keep my nerves in ck and 2. go over anything i am having trouble in. the one major thing is the reading section... sometimes i have no clue how they got the answer that they did. i just pray that the real test will be easier to understand but i kind of doubt it after reading some of the posts.

Thank you
    Melissa