CBEST Writing practice topics

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by wancho, Dec 28, 2019.

1. wancho

wancho New Member

Dec 28, 2019

Hi all,
    I just got my result for CBEST writing section, and I scored 33. My score is better than the first time, so I am trying to be positive.... :( My reading score and math score is 51 and 67, so I just need to get 37 in writing section. (Which seems hard for me)
    I just registered for computer based test on February, which will be the last chance for me to take before applying for credential program next year.
    On the report I just got, it says that my argument essay met the minimum standard, but narrative essay was lacking "usage" and "structure and conventions."
    I just ordered Writing Skill Success in 20 Minutes a Day through Amazon, so hopefully that could help me on structure and convention part.

Anyways, is there any websites that have practice essay topics? I need to practice on my narrative essay, so if you have any helpful website, please share!
    Furthermore, if you have any suggestion on improving Usage/Structure and Conventions, please let me know! It would be helpful for me!

Thanks!

3. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Jan 2, 2020

4. Carlota Silvas

Carlota Silvas New Member

Feb 17, 2020

Good Afternoon,

I took my writing test for the second time and I got a 29 I need a 37, but my problem is word usage. I am planning to get a tutor but they charge 1250 dlls. for 10 hours and there is no guarantee. English is not my first language. I am planing on buying the writing Skill Success. Has someone else have hire a tutor with positive results? please advise.

5. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Feb 18, 2020

Dear Carlota Silvas,
    You can go to an adult school and check if there are tutors to help for Cbest exam. Normally there will be tutors helping around because they offer ESL classes. You do not need to pay for the tutorial class. I hope that can help. How can we keep in touch with each other? Email?

Carlota Silvas likes this.
  6. Carlota Silvas

Carlota Silvas New Member

Feb 19, 2020

Great!! Thanks for the information. I am going to check on them.

7. charlene2020

charlene2020 New Member

Apr 25, 2020

Hi WongHF,
    Have you passed the writing section? Any advice to non-natives?

8. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

May 3, 2020

Charlene 2020,

Hi, we might be able to keep in touch. There are alternatives instead of taking CBEST, SAT, or AP tests that can be used for the basic skills requirement. I might take the SAT or AP tests.
    As non-natives like us, it is important to spend time practicing in the area that needs improvement, writing section. I shared a link about the writing questions. You can check it out.
    Do keep in touch.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 3, 2020

Are you hoping to teach elementary, middle, or high school?