CBEST Writing: I need help

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Jiajia, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jiajia

Jiajia Rookie

Oct 1, 2020

Hello everyone,
    I had a terrible experience with the CBEST Writing exam. I passed all other exams, but I failed several times for the CBEST Writing exam. The scores were either 29 or 33. I need 37 to pass it.
    I usually have Usage and Structure and Conventions problems:
    Usage: the extent to which the writing shows care and precision in word choice
    Structure and Conventions: the extent to which the writing is free of errors in syntax, paragraph structure, sentence structure, and mechanics (e.g., spelling, punctuation, and capitalization)
    For grammar problems, I read Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day, Writing: Grammar, Usage, and Style (CliffsNotes), and 501 Grammar and Writing Questions. I know I have some grammar issues, but it is not too many; however, the usage issues bother me a lot. I am not a native language speaker, so what I said and write is different from a native language speaker. Is there any suggestion book?
    Besides of reading and doing grammar books, I also practiced writing an essay or several paragraphs every day, and I submitted my essay to Grammarly and other tutors. It seemed I had different usage issues each time.
    How can I avoid usage issues in a short time and how to pass the CBEST Writing exam?
    Can I submit my essay to this website to ask a professional tutor to edit? Thank you.

3. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 16, 2020

Hi JiaJia,
    I am still in the process of re-studying myself to see if I can pass the writing component by next scheduled test date. So far, based on all of the books I've studied from, I like the following book the most:

CBEST Writing Study Guide: with Sample CBEST Essays and CBEST English Grammar Review Workbook
    ISBN-13:978-1949282092
    I won't be as much help about actual advices, since I am currently in the same shoes as you are (i.e. struggling to pass the writing component of the CBEST). I wish you success on your next attempt. I noticed that certain prompts one person can relate to and that he/she is able to elaborate/illustrate/imagery through story-telling/Anecdote and description which increases his/her chances of passing either Personal or Argumentative, but so far not Both at the same test day/setting, so I find that part to be challenging part about re-taking the CBEST.

4. Jiajia

Jiajia Rookie

Oct 31, 2020

Thank you @GoaltoSuccess. I practiced writing and asked tutors to edit my essay, but I always found different usage or grammar problems. Very very frustrated. It seems my writing did not improve at all.

5. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 31, 2020

JiaJia, I feel all of us struggle a lot partially due to how limited time we have left when we finally get to the writing portion of the exam. Usually on a writing assignment for school, we have an assignment before we go ahead to plan out our outline. We make our first draft before revising over and over before we finally have an at least an adequate looking final copy. Everything is spaced out in the semester/quarter of the class itself. I find it challenging to squeeze all of the following within the same day of the CBEST: the outline plan, rough draft and final copy all within the limited time left after completing the multiple choice sections. It is hard for us to condense all of the steps in creating a good looking mistake free essay. I have beat myself up each time after finding out my writing score is decreasing with each new essay attempt. I try to take the practice writing test through the free prompts given by the Teachers Test Prep website, but if I am not lacking organization, I'd be lacking usage and structure and conventions, or vice versa. I am not sure the reason why with each new attempt, my writing score decreases. I feel it is best to be as descriptive in each prompt as you can, try to vividly describe to the reader exactly everything that happened that particular incident/story telling. I felt, as I got started in talking about a story that supports the prompt, it helped me to further put in details, explaining to the reader everything to let the reader experienced everything I touched, saw, felt, and heard, and tasted. Each prompt, no matter if it is expository or narrative/personal, will allow you to think of a memory. If applicable use your memory to your advantage to describe everything in as much details as you can., and then relating that experience back to the prompt, (i.e. how it helps to prove that one side of the argument is the correct side and/or shows how it relates back to the prompt. I feel this will help me in my future attempt too.

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Nov 1, 2020

You can take just the writing section all on its own and take four hours to do it.

GoaltoSuccess likes this.
  7. Jessica Parker

Jessica Parker New Member

Sep 8, 2021

This is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable for me and other students who are looking for a CBEST writer. You can also choose TopAssignmentExperts for your writing services help and College homework help online, it will be great if they complete the assignments before the last submission date. It will be also conceptual and helpful for you to learn how to write CDEST content.

8. dmelnik3289

dmelnik3289 New Member

Sep 8, 2021

This is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable