CBEST Writing: I need help

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Jiajia, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jiajia

Jiajia New Member

Oct 1, 2020

Hello everyone,
    I had a terrible experience with the CBEST Writing exam. I passed all other exams, but I failed several times for the CBEST Writing exam. The scores were either 29 or 33. I need 37 to pass it.
    I usually have Usage and Structure and Conventions problems:
    Usage: the extent to which the writing shows care and precision in word choice
    Structure and Conventions: the extent to which the writing is free of errors in syntax, paragraph structure, sentence structure, and mechanics (e.g., spelling, punctuation, and capitalization)
    For grammar problems, I read Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day, Writing: Grammar, Usage, and Style (CliffsNotes), and 501 Grammar and Writing Questions. I know I have some grammar issues, but it is not too many; however, the usage issues bother me a lot. I am not a native language speaker, so what I said and write is different from a native language speaker. Is there any suggestion book?
    Besides of reading and doing grammar books, I also practiced writing an essay or several paragraphs every day, and I submitted my essay to Grammarly and other tutors. It seemed I had different usage issues each time.
    How can I avoid usage issues in a short time and how to pass the CBEST Writing exam?
    Can I submit my essay to this website to ask a professional tutor to edit? Thank you.

3. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess New Member

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:50 PM

Hi JiaJia,
    I am still in the process of re-studying myself to see if I can pass the writing component by next scheduled test date. So far, based on all of the books I've studied from, I like the following book the most:

CBEST Writing Study Guide: with Sample CBEST Essays and CBEST English Grammar Review Workbook
    ISBN-13:978-1949282092
    I won't be as much help about actual advices, since I am currently in the same shoes as you are (i.e. struggling to pass the writing component of the CBEST). I wish you success on your next attempt. I noticed that certain prompts one person can relate to and that he/she is able to elaborate/illustrate/imagery through story-telling/Anecdote and description which increases his/her chances of passing either Personal or Argumentative, but so far not Both at the same test day/setting, so I find that part to be challenging part about re-taking the CBEST.