CBEST writing how to pass it (urgent)

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by mmafan007, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Ling Zau

Ling Zau New Member

Aug 3, 2019

Thank you so much for your explanationation. I am planning to take the test in September again, less than 2 months. Is there a book you recommend that I could use to improve on these areas? Or do you recommend get a tutor from certain organization?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2019

For structure and conventions, try Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day, published by LearningExpress; Barnes & Noble should carry it, probably in the study-aids section. If possible, spend some time with the book before you buy it, and have a look at the other options in the bookstore (or library) as well. This book is part of LearningExpress's Skill Builders series, which does also include a book for vocabulary building.

It's more important to use words and sentence structures that you can handle comfortably and correctly than to try to deploy more advanced vocabulary and structure and fail.

The writing lab or writing program at the local community college or university might have some leads on people who can help you with your writing. Make sure you explain that you're taking CBEST; take the sample test (with the sample answers!) to show what's expected.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 4, 2019

For structure and conventions, try Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day, published by LearningExpress; Barnes & Noble should carry it, probably in the study-aids section. If possible, spend some time with the book before you buy it, and have a look at the other options in the bookstore (or library) as well. This book is part of LearningExpress's Skill Builders series, which does also include a book for vocabulary building.

It's more important to use words and sentence structures that you can handle comfortably and correctly than to try to deploy more advanced vocabulary and structure and fail.

The writing lab or writing program at the local community college or university might have some leads on people who can help you with your writing. Make sure you explain that you're taking CBEST; take the sample test (with the sample answers!) to show what's expected.

4. Ling Zau

Ling Zau New Member

Aug 8, 2019

Thanks a lot for the explanations and suggestions.

5. TeacherGal1

TeacherGal1 New Member

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:40 AM

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I took all three sections of the CBEST this evening. My unofficial results indicated that I passed both the Reading and Math sections. However, I have a few apprehensions about my performance on the Writing portion. Though I was pressed for time and kept both essays around 350 words as a result, my biggest concern is about a misspelled word in essay #2. I'm kicking myself now, but I know that in my haste I spelled "breathe" as "breath" approximately three times. My essay's thesis centered on the phrase "just breathe."

While I am confident that both essays were well-written in terms of logic, organization, and sentence complexity. This spelling mistake has me on edge. Can you offer me any consolation regarding how hard the scorers might be on misspellings?

Thanks so much.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:51 AM

If the sum of your reading and math scores is greater than 85, it may not matter: you'd need just 37 points on the essays to pass, and it sounds like your prospects of making that score are fairly good.

And if those approximately three misspellings of the same word constitute your sole errors in structure and conventions, scorers are fairly likely to be lenient. They're more concerned when patterns of error occur.

7. TeacherGal1

TeacherGal1 New Member

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:33 PM

Thanks so much for your quick response, TeacherGroupie. My combined score for reading and math was well over 100, so fingers crossed that my writing score is at least a 37.

The wait is maddening, but I really appreciate your help in offering me some peace of mind.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:10 PM

Let us know how it goes, please.