CBEST tips

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by ahodge79, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Dec 28, 2013

I took the CBEST computer based test today and I thought I'd share a few things I would of liked to know before going in.

First, check your library for books about it for a review instead of buying. I used Barron's (many typos though) and then Kaplan (which was much more difficult than the actual test) and then Cliff Note version, which I thought was really good.

The practice test on the testing site (where you register) is very similar to the actual difficulty of the test so be sure to do it. However, the navigation is a bit different (better on the real thing). The reading portion has the passage on one side and a question on the other. It doesn't tell you how many questions go with the passage making it a little more tricky to pre-read the questions.

Also, it is a count down of time. I suggest briefly jotting down your time frame using how many minutes are left. Such as when there are 30 mins- start review; 90 minutes- start writing; 160 start math; 230 start reading; 245-230 preview writing questions. My general plan was 1. go to writing questions first and do a 5-7 brainstorm of each one (allows you to not be taken by surprise later and to mull it over during the other parts), 2. complete reading in order, 3. do math section, marking something for each one without spending too much time but flag hard ones to come back later. (the flagging feature is excellent). A surprise even to me was that I was actually able to keep this time frame and had enough time to review all my flags.

At my testing site in Anaheim it will be useful to know that they give you a pad of spiral bound dry erase papers for notes.

I passed the math with 57 and reading with 62 (nice to get a print out right away!). I had tried to find what an "average" score might be without much luck so I guess they are good enough and hopefully writing will be okay.

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 28, 2013

So Pearson's handing out multiple-choice scores in real time? That's new.

Passing CBEST requires that one amass a total of more than 123 points AND that one score no fewer than 37 points on any one section (reading, math, or essay). You're on track to pass; at worst, you might have to retake the essay section.

4. katsmeoow

katsmeoow Rookie

Feb 22, 2014

Question: how long do you have to wait to retake the CBest?

How long do you have to wait to take the Cbest if you don't pass the 1st time? please help Thanks

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2014

If you took it on computer, you wait 45 days till you can next take it on computer - but if a paper-based test date comes up before the 45 days is up, you can take advantage of it. See http://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/policies.asp.

6. katsmeoow

katsmeoow Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

fafda

7. katsmeoow

katsmeoow Rookie

Mar 25, 2014

and what is the highest score you can get on the cbest?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2014

Each CBEST section, whether paper-based or computer-based, is scored on a scale from 20 to 80. 41 is a full pass on any section. If you got a 41 on the essay section and a total score of 120, you scored 79 on the other two sections and, if both of your other scores were 37 or more, you just need to retake one section and score three more points.

If your friend scored 220, your friend was probably taking CSET-Writing Skills, which is pretty much the CBEST essay section sprung out as a part of CSET Multiple Subjects. CSET-Writing, like all CSET subtests, is scored on a scale from 100 to 300.