CBEST Scoring

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by cameron eastman, Mar 13, 2020.

1. cameron eastman

cameron eastman New Member

Mar 13, 2020

I am having some trouble understanding the CBEST scoring, I am hoping someone can shed some light. I took the CBEST and received the following scores:
    Writing: 41
    Reading: 37
    Math: 39

I'm not sure how high of a score you can achieve in each section but..
    Am I able to retake the math section and receive a score of 45 or higher?

3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 13, 2020

From the CBEST page:

"The scaled scores used for reporting CBEST results range from 20 to 80 for each of the three sections (Reading, Mathematics, and Writing) of the test. The passing score on each CBEST section is a scaled score of 41. A total score (the sum of Reading, Mathematics, and Writing scaled scores) of 123 is required for passing status. It is possible to pass the CBEST with a scaled score on one or two sections as low as 37, provided that the total score is 123 or higher. It is not possible, however, to pass the CBEST if any section score is below 37, regardless of how high the total score may be."

So looks like the answer is "yes".

4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Companion

Mar 13, 2020

And you get 4 hours to take it. You always get four hours no matter how many of the three tests you take.

"If you register for the computer-based CBEST, you must choose which section or sections you wish to take during the 4-hour test session. You may choose any combination of sections, but only the section(s) you select during registration will be available at the test center."

5. Jammy

Jammy Rookie

Mar 18, 2020

From the CTC website:
    The scaled scores used for reporting CBEST results range from 20 to 80 for each of the three sections (Reading, Mathematics, and Writing) of the test. The passing score on each CBEST section is a scaled score of 41. A total score (the sum of Reading, Mathematics, and Writing scaled scores) of 123 is required for passing status. It is possible to pass the CBEST with a scaled score on one or two sections as low as 37, provided that the total score is 123 or higher. It is not possible, however, to pass the CBEST if any section score is below 37, regardless of how high the total score may be.

You may take 1, 2, or all 3 sections in a single test session; you do not have to pass all 3 sections at a single administration. So, yes if you want to retake the math section you can but, you could improve a little in the Reading and Math section or just improve your math score and get your total score to 123 since you were 6 points away from passing the test as a whole.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2020

To pass CBEST requires satisfying two conditions:

1. No section score may be below 37.
    2. The total score must be 123 or more.

You've satisfied condition 1. You're a bit short on condition 2.

Your highest score ever in any section is your score of record for that section, no matter what you do next. Whatever you retake, your score of record can only hold steady or improve. So, yes, you could retake whichever section you please in hopes of achieving a higher score.

For many test takers, it makes sense to retake a section in which one has already had a degree of success. But the maximum possible scaled score per section is 80, and you've scored no more than 41 (the lowest full-pass score) in any of the three sections. Depending on what you did to prepare for your previous attempt, I'd recommend that you retake the reading section, after working diligently through a good resource for improving reading comprehension. LearningExpress's Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day is reliable, relatively inexpensive, and easy to find.