Cbest scoring system

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Emma1, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Jul 22, 2006

Hi ,
    I am planning to take CBest in the near future. I would like to know some details regarding the scoring procedure. I am aware of the fact that there are 3 sections and there will be 50 questions in each section. My question is do I earn 1 point for every answer? Or is it a graded system?
    I know the passing score is 41 for each section.
    Thanks,
    Emma1:)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2006

The passing score for each section is a scaled score: your raw score (one point per correct answer in multiple choice) is cranked through an algorithm that compensates for the fact that it's next to impossible to write two questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, let alone 50 questions. So there isn't a one-to-one correspondence between raw and scaled scores.

On CBEST, you must achieve 123 scaled points across the three subtests. The standard way to do this is to earn 41 scaled points per subtests, but as long as your total is 123, you can have as few as 37 points in one or two subtests.

Essays are scored on a scale from 1 to 4 by two scorers: your raw score is the sum of the four scores, and again your raw score is processed through an algorithm before it emerges as a scaled score on the same 20-to-80 scale.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2006

There is a thread floating around here that explains what the raw scores were for each section that equated to a scaled score of 41. The only part I remember now is that 41 on the writing section was equivalent to 3s across the board at one time.

5. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

thanks

Hi ,
    Thank you very much TeacherGroupie and Malcolm. I appreciate your help.
    Emma1

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

I'm not absolutely convinced about the 3's across the board, frankly.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2006

That was the information in the court documents I based the earlier thread on. Of course that only represents a point in time. Could be lower or higher now.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

That court case was brought for a test given before 1999, wasn't it? There have been two announced changes to CBEST that I know of since then - stands to reason that the scoring could've changed too.

9. crf

crf Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

with a scaled score of 37 how many questions would have to be correct?

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

That's a little difficult to say, partly because the algorithm for converting raw scores (questions correct) to scores on the 20-to-80 scale has to take into account variations in the difficulty of the questions.

But let me try to shed some light.

There are fifty questions in each of the two multiple choice sections of CBEST. In each section, 10 questions are "non-scoring" - that is, they don't count because they're being tested for future versions of CBEST. So the scaled score is based on those 40 questions.

(Don't yell at me: I didn't make this up!)

Now let's do like mathematicians and make a Simplifying Assumption: let's pretend that each question has the same weight. Then if you aced the 40 questions that count, you'd get 80 points, from which it seems to follow that each question is worth approximately 2 points. (The fact that the scale starts at 20 suggests that each question is actually worth a little less than 2 points, but never mind.) So if the minimal pass scaled score is 37, one presumably needs 37/2 = 18.5 actual questions correct to pass.

Your mileage may vary.

11. crf

crf Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

thanks

Thanks, Im trying to figure out what my score could be and I came up with possibly 24 questions correct. I hope that all I need is 18.5 questions correct to pass. Math is not my subject.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2006

The fact that 10 questions are nonscoring muddies the water more than slightly, I'm afraid. But I don't think you're automatically dead in the water, either.