CBEST scores are out!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by serawyn, Apr 27, 2005.

1. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Apr 27, 2005

Hi,
    I was wondering what I need to get on the CBEST to pass? I got 55 in Reading and 67 in math. Now I'm waiting for the writing score, but what do I need on the writing in order to pass the entire test? I'm getting nervous because I don't think I did very well on the writing portion.

Good luck to those who took the CBEST in April!

3. sandy

sandy Rookie

Apr 27, 2005

Hey,

Congratulation on passing 2 sections in CBEST.

To pass eassy section you should have minimum 37 in that sections. The minimum total of 3 sections should be 121. I belive that you are much more ahead of that. thats really good.... My result also came out I passed 2 sections.. but I didnt appear for my eassay section in April.. I am preparing for it and planning to appear for coming June 05. I would appreciate it if you let me know about your eassay preparation/guide/tips/suggestion....

thanks,

Good luck :)

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2005

For CBEST, passing is 123 points total, no fewer than 37 points in any section. Full pass in a section is 41. Serawyn's already got 122 points, but still needs at least 37 in essay. Usually people who score in the 50s or higher in reading comprehension do fine on the essays.

What's wanted on the essay sections is a couple of standard five-paragraph high school essays. One is usually a persuasive essay (you're given an issue to write on and you take a side), the other is usually a personal narrative (tell a story about...) Essays are scored by two scorers on a scale from 1 (bad news) to 4 (excellent). The scorers don't actually care which side you take or what story you tell so long as it is relevant to the prompt, you stick to your thesis, your paragraphs are properly structured, you support the points you're making with evidence, and your grammar isn't awful. Take a look at the sample essays in the CBEST bulletin, with special attention to the ones that scored 3 - THAT'S what you're shooting for.

5. SUE#3

SUE#3 Rookie

Jun 1, 2005

does any one remember the topics for cbest essay from April or previous dates. I need samples to prepare myself for the test

6. pammylove

pammylove Rookie

Jun 15, 2005

I am taking the CBEST this coming Saturday for my very first time. The test is 4-hour long, right? Do I just take all 3 parts (reading, math, writing) altogether? Would I be able to pace myself? meaning that, if the first 2 sections (reading & math) appear to be harder than I thought they would, could I allocate more time on them? Of course, it also implies that my writing portion is probably going to be sacrificed......

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2005

Testing time is four hours, yes. You'll be given all three sections; how many you do and in what order is up to you (it makes sense to glance at the essay prompts first, then do multiple choice). Many people finish the whole thing in four hours or less. Many people do well to divide the test among different testing days (every two months around the calendar), which allows more time per section. Your highest score on a section is your score of record, so you don't have to retake a section you've already passed.