CBEST Results

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by glassgirl, Aug 26, 2016.

1. glassgirl

glassgirl Rookie

Aug 26, 2016

I recently passed the CBEST, and I got my results via e-mail. I'm planning to apply to become a substitute teacher soon, and I'm not sure if I can just print out the PDF they sent me to include with the application, or will they send me physical results too?

I'm sorry if this is normally obvious. I tend to over think things when I'm nervous. Any help would be very appreciated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 26, 2016

What you have is what you get. Printing a copy is a fine idea. Saving the pdf where you can find it on your hard drive is an even better idea: then you'll have it to print or forward as needed.

Oh, and congratulations!

4. Grizzlybrunson

Grizzlybrunson New Member

Sep 13, 2016

glassgirl ,
    I take the CBEST on Oct 15th do you have any tips for me I have the Cliff Note CBEST study guide and have downloaded all the prep materials online but, since you recently took the exam I was hoping to get some tips from someone that has recently passed as I'm anxious but really don't know what to expect besides whats online.

5. glassgirl

glassgirl Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Sure! I don't know if anything I have to say will be helpful, but I'll gladly offer what I can. I think each person's impression of the test is going to depend on their personal strengths and weaknesses. I used the forth addition CBEST study guide, and focused on studying math as that is my weakest area, and I felt like that was really helpful. I have always had strong reading comprehension skills, and I got an 80 on that part of the test without studying. Taking practice tests is a great way to see where you should be spending most of your time studying.

Its great if you can pass all three sections of the test in one go, but if you're nervous, remind yourself that you can take it again if you run out of time or don't pass anything. A lot of people take it more than once, so don't stress!

When you write your essays, use the standard format you would in high school. Five paragraphs, thesis statement, supporting sentences. All that.

You can also Google examples of essay prompts for the CBEST. I think that's a good way to get the idea of what they'll be asking you for.

Use the bathroom when you get to the testing center before starting your time. You can technically take a break during your four hours, but personally, I used every minute of time trying to write my essays at the end.

If you want to know about anything specific or want me to elaborate on anything, feel free to ask.

Grizzlybrunson likes this.
  6. Grizzlybrunson

Sep 13, 2016

I'm just wondering on the math part what in particular should I focus as that's my weak point as well I feel confident in my reading and the essays I believe I can get atleast a passing but , the math is tough because I haven't taken a mathematics course in years last time was when I was in community college over 10 years ago.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

Grizzlybrunson, how far did you get in math in school, and how far did you get comfortably?

8. Grizzlybrunson

Sep 13, 2016

I got to Statistics I felt comfortable up to algebra 2

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

Then you've got more than enough math for this test: the skills themselves almost without exception top out at sixth- to eighth-grade level. The exception is with test score interpretation, for which (in addition to mean, median, mode, and range) you need to know the meaning and implications for ranking of "in the fourth quartile", "in the 80th percentile", and "in the eighth stanine", and you need to know what "a grade-equivalent score of 6.7" represents. You do NOT need to be able to calculate a stanine (and you won't have a calculator in any case).