CBEST related concerns

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by GoaltoSuccess, Oct 16, 2020.

1. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 16, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I took the CBEST and ended up with only passing the Reading portion of the Exam. Math I earned 39, so I feel I need to retake it. For the personal and argumentative essays, I received the following in the feedback:
    Writing Section Scaled Score: 26
    Performance on Topic 1: Your topic 1 essay showed a need for improvement in the following area(s). - Usage - Structure and Conventions
    Your topic 2 essay showed a need for improvement in the following area(s). - Usage -Structure and Conventions

What can I do on my end so that I can increase my writing score to a higher scaled score by the time I retake math and writing components of the CBEST in November 2020? Any comments or advice from those who've gone before me, and have been in my shoes before would mostly be appreciated and welcomed, as I am unsure about where else I can reach out to regarding help on improving the writing scaled score. I must have lost some of my writing skills due to years of not having to practice grammar, or sentence structure or word choice, etc., but please give me any kind of feedback. Thank you in advanced.

3. Natasha Wilkinson

Natasha Wilkinson Rookie

Oct 24, 2020

I bought the book Cbest Princeton review and I really liked the tips! They were very helpful when taking my exam. My advice is to study personal essays more. The argumentative was very easy, especially with the book I had. But the personal essay was a bit harder, in my opinion.

Are you only retaking the writing again? If you score high enough you won’t need to take the math again

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    GoaltoSuccess likes this.
  4. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 24, 2020

Thank you for sharing with me the study guide you used in preparation for the CBEST! I plan to take re-take both Math and Writing.

5. Natasha Wilkinson

Natasha Wilkinson Rookie

Oct 24, 2020

I studied almost every day, but sadly the test was still hard. I failed the three sections overall by one point. But don't let this scare you, if you received a high score in reading then you should be okay! My only issue was I had a 37 in reading, and 39 in writing. Thankfully, I passed the math portion. And you have more time to do the test since you are only taking two sections :) Do you have any suggestions on how to pass the reading portion?

My suggestion for math: For the word problems, before trying to solve it, try to indicate what the problem is to have a clearer understanding of it and actually write it on scratch paper. For example, for a Distance problem, Person "A" goes 50 mph, and it takes them 30 minutes. Now you need to find the rate. This helped me a lot by scoping out the small hints of what the problem would be.

For writing: Practice brainstorming on other practice essays:) You will do great!

6. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 24, 2020

Since reading was the stronger subject one of the times I took the CBEST exam, I felt what helped me study the best was the Teacher's Test Prep CBEST reading class through zoom. The teacher in that zoom class provided to us various types of questions and allowed us to click on choice A, B, C, D, or E. Then she would post up a poll to show the most popular answers. Next, the teacher explains why one answer is the best answer out of all options.
    I felt during each CBEST retake attempt, I either had more time on a subject and did not have enough time to answer any other questions from other subjects. One of the factors may be I invest a lot of time on questions I feel I should understand, despite how the wording affects my understanding of the meaning of what is being asked of me. I know that's one of my stubborn quality that I need to work on. There could be a lot of other questions easier than the current question on the next pages that I could have gotten correct and I might have a chance of earning a higher score on that subject of the exam if I could remember one thing: if I'm taking too long trying to understand the question on one particular question, I should know to flag it or come back to it. Instead, I spend too much time on it which results to one thing: time running out. If only I could learn from the mistake that I already caught from prior attempts of retaking the CBEST I would have a higher chance of not feeling rushed or not getting to all sections of the CBEST that I signed up for: Math and Writing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Natasha Wilkinson

Natasha Wilkinson Rookie

Oct 24, 2020

I can certainly relate to taking too much time on one problem. The perfectionist trait can be a wonderful but also terrible thing, lol. I wish you good luck! I'm sure you will do great.

Also, thank you for the advice! I will look into that :)

8. GoaltoSuccess

GoaltoSuccess Rookie

Oct 25, 2020

Natasha,
    Have you taken a practice Reading test before? The link where I took the practice CBEST reading exam is on the Teachers Test Prep website under Practice Tests — CBEST; after you take it, the computer automatically grades the practice exam you took and sends you an email with the score you earned from the practice exam! I hope that will also help you to improve the reading score.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Natasha Wilkinson likes this.