CBEST Practice vs Real Test

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by GG7788, Dec 14, 2017.

1. GG7788

GG7788 New Member

Dec 14, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the CBEST this Saturday. I've taken practice tests from the book "Cracking the CBEST" and the one provided on the CTC Exams website but I'm worried the questions on the actual test will be a lot harder than these. So does anyone know if the practice exam from CTC is in fact the same difficulty level as the actual CBEST? Any help would be so greatly appreciated by my anxiety! HA!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 15, 2017

I think you’re overthinking this. You can pass the CBEST just by using common sense and having surface-level knowledge. For example, when I took it (in 2014) there was a question about converting teaspoons to tablespoons. I was like, “Are you joking me?!”

The only “difficult” part for some people might be the essay section. Speaking about this, the evaluators are only looking for a standard 3-5 paragraph essay. Don’t try to be fancy with diction and whatnot. Write an attention-grabbing opener, state your thesis statement, and include a few examples in your thesis so each example can serve as a paragraph. In your conclusion, just paraphrase your thesis and add some final thoughts.

Good luck and calm down. You’ll do fine!