CBEST Math scores make sense??????

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Gunnu, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Gunnu

Gunnu New Member

Oct 24, 2005

Here is the situation, can someone please help me understand how the math scores really are scored?

I've taken the CBEST Math test 3 times:

1st time - Score: 28

Estimatin, Measurement, and Statistical Principles +
    Computation and Problem Solving +
    Numerical and Graphic Relationships +++

2nd time - Score: 37

Estimatin, Measurement, and Statistical Principles ++
    Computation and Problem Solving +++
    Numerical and Graphic Relationships +

3rd time - Score: 41

Estimatin, Measurement, and Statistical Principles +++
    Computation and Problem Solving +++
    Numerical and Graphic Relationships +++

How is it possible that I only scored 41 on the 3rd time around?? I received three +'s on each of the categories. The way CBEST defines it is that three +'s means that I answered many of the questions correctly on each of the category. Shouldn't this be a lot higher than 41??

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 24, 2005

The plus-mark scale runs from + to ++++: that, we know. From here I'm speculating... 100% divided by 4 is 25%, so it seems probable that + means a scorer got between 1% and 25% of questions right, ++ means a scorer got between 26% and 50%, +++ means 51% to 75%, and ++++ would be 76% to 100%. If each of your three +++ ratings is closer to 51% than to 75%, an overall scaled score of 41 makes sense. And, frankly, darned few people care whether you ace CBEST or merely squeak by.

Hope this helps.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2005

Fist, congratulations on consistently improving your score and getting a passing score. And, as previously stated, the score doesn't really matter. All this test is intended to do is set a minimum bar that must be exceeded.

Scoring of exams like CBEST and CSET is indeed mystifying, on purpose. Another way to look a your score is as follows:

To pass, you must answer many of the questions correctly, in other words get +++. Makes sense doesn't it? Wouldn't make sense if you could pass answering only some, or few or none, of the questions correctly, in other words get ++ or +, would it? There are only two diagnostics you can get with a passing score, +++ and ++++. You got +++ and a scaled score of 41. The passing scaled score is set at 41. In other words, you were at the bottom of the +++ range, and just squeaked by. My guess is you likely did a little worse than required in one or more domain and made up for it enough in the others, but not enough to push you up to ++++ in any of them.

I know from reading about a court case that a 41 scaled score is equivalent to all 3's on the writing portion of CBEST. Don't know how that translates to the math portion. It seems like the raw score corresponding to a scaled score of 41 is right around 50. But my guess is that the raw score required varies depending on the test form. It is very difficult to generate different forms of a test that have exactly the same difficult. And it is common for testing organizations to scale different forms differently so that a given scaled score represents the same level of performance regardless of which form the examinee is given.

5. somo

somo New Member

Dec 22, 2015

Hi everyone, I hope I'll find so.eone who can answer my question. I just received my cbest results..unfortunately I didn't pass the math section and the score made me so confused.. i got +++ on 2 parts and + on the measuring part.. my general score in math is 31.. i think it's so unfair. .is there a penalty for not doing one section good? I'm thinking of asking for a reevaluation.. does it help in this case? Thank you

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2015

Hugs, somo. There's no penalty for not doing so well on one section, no. One passes (or doesn't pass) the section as a whole, so it seems that your +++ results simply weren't quite good enough to compensate for the + result in measurement and statistics.

7. somo

somo New Member

Dec 22, 2015

Thank you for your reply :) I am just concerned about next time cz i thought I did good in math.. except the measuring part.. i called to ask for a reevaluation but they said they dont do it for the multiple choice questions. But i still think its confusing .. i will retake it in February. . I hope I'll pass it next time..

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2015

Well, the diagnostics run from + to ++++, so there's room for improvement in all the domains, and clearly +++ must represent not a single score but a span of scores.

What in measurement is giving you difficulty?