CBEST Math HELP

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by anewstart101, May 20, 2006.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 20, 2006

I am scheduled to take the math in June. I have college degree. My strenghts are writing and reading. Any practice test I take I am fine on those. I have studying math but it is just not registering. Any good math prep for this. Should I take the test knowing I most likely barring fantastic luck will not pass the math or should I take it pass what I can and retake math. I skipped math in college pretty much. I'm only getting about 30% right on math questions. I have written by hand all the formulas I need practice practice I do not know what to do in the next few weeks that would help

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 20, 2006

IIWY I would go ahead and take CBEST in June and pass what you can. If you have to take math again, so be it. At least you will get the sections that you are good at out of the way.

FWIW nothing on CBEST is college level math. For that matter, there is very little high school math.

If you have been studying on your own and it is not working, I think you need to find a tutor. This could just be someone you know who is good at math, you get along with, and is willing to help you understand the concepts. Otherwise, the key to learning math is work lots or lots of problems to get the procedures down.

What resources have you been using?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2006

It's not at all uncommon that people have to retake a section of CBEST, and it's not at all uncommon that people PLAN to take just one or two sections the first time around.

I'll echo Malcolm's advice to get a tutor. And, like him, I wonder what you're using for preparation. Is it one or more of the standard CBEST prep books? If so, which?

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 21, 2006

CBEST Math

I am using Kaplans and Research & Education Association CBEST prep guide.

Thank you much for your replies!

Stephanie

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2006

Hm. How have you done with the practice test on the CBEST Web site at http://www.cbest.nesinc.com? It's not uncommon for CBEST prep books to overstate the difficulty of the math.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 21, 2006

My take on test guides is that even the well written ones at best can do no more than give you an a quick review of the material that could show up on the test. If you haven't already gotten the concepts down in the past, you need to go back to a text book, get some tutoring, or do something else.

To amplify my earlier comment about the level of difficulty of the math on CBEST, there wasn't even any geometry on it when I took it. IIRC there wasn't even any high school math on it, in fact, almost nothing that an average 6th grader shouldn't be able to answer. The only tricky thing was that they asked questions about standardized testing, questions about stanine, percentiles, etc. There were 3 questions like this when I took CBEST. But it is a well know fact that there are questions like this. And a few minutes on the internet should get you all you need to know about it.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2006

One problem is that several of the most-used prep books don't seem to have been updated since at least the last revision of CBEST, which is the revision that replaced the geometry that Malcolm misses with the test score interpretation questions he mentioned. The wise test taker checks the copyright date and contents of the CBEST book... and asks questions on forums like this.

9. ambenico

ambenico Rookie

May 22, 2006

I too have never been good with Math so I can tell you exactly what I did to pass cbest math on my first try. I got a friend who is good with math and he explained basic math concepts and formulas to me. Then I practiced tons and tons of math questions from at least 4 different books. I started out getting only 20% of the questions correct but one week to the actual exam, I was at 80-90%. Keep working and practicing. If you get a question wrong, read over the answer THOROUGHLY or get someone who knows math to explain it to you. When I realised that math would be tough for me, I put reading and writing aside and focused all my effort on math until I knew what I was doing. Don't let it frustrate you. Math is actually easier than reading on the Cbest, if you ask me. I did better in math than reading, believe me, and I have very strong language power.

I recommend the "Cracking the CBEST" by Princeton Review. That's the book I worked from and learned all the formulas and then I did practice questions from other sources. NEVER GIVE UP and keep working and practicing. So in summary:

1) Find a tutor (math friend)
    2) Practice tons and tons of math questions.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 22, 2006

Thank you all so much. I think you are all right and I am seeking out a friend and I am keeping on. I am improving I'm up to about 65% right which sure makes me feel like I am heading in the right direction. Much better than 20%. I am learning this just not as fast as I want. the question is since I still have the CSET Multisubject infront of me. I was thinking of enrolling in a math class on my community college campus that may help me brush up at least I can get tutoring through a center also this summer. Is there a good general math course. I noticed there is a math class for elementary school teacher or should I enroll in an algerbra or geometry class. I am looking to teach prek or kindergarten special ed.

Thanks
    Stephanie

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 22, 2006

For CBEST, you won't need anything beyond a pre-algebra course. For CSET MS, you will need some ability with basic algebra and geometry. IMHO your local community college is an excellent resource.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2006

If you're not already in a credential program, ask your local one whether the math for teachers course is a prerequisite and whether the one at the community college is accepted to fulfill it. Be aware, though, that math for teachers is less about brushing up on your basic skills and more about understanding WHY the math works - a very good thing to do, but it won't necessarily fill your perceived deficits.

13. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 22, 2006

Thank you Teachergroupie:

My deficits are just that perceived. I am progressing I am going to take CBEST see what happens I think I have a fear of math as I would rather avoid it then do it. Now I have to face it and I perceive I have a problem but do I really!!!!

I am so glad I found this website time for me to take a deep breath!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2006

Try looking for the math you actually DO do in everyday life. For example... you either buy the cheapest gas you can find in your area, or you don't buy the very cheapest gas either because it doesn't work as well in your car or because you have to go too far out of your way to find it. Those decisions are based on math. Using a microwave, balancing a checkbook, estimating what size latte the $3 in your pocket will let you buy once tax is included... those are all math.

See if you can find Johnny Ball's GO FIGURE, published by Dorling Kindersley - it'll be in the kids' section of your bookstore or on the Dorling Kindersley Web site at http://www.dk.com. There's a great deal of "WOW!" there - and that can help you help yourself get moving on math.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2006

Oh, and if you've got questions about math, you can perfectly well ask them here on A to Z - someone's bound to pop up with an answer.