Cbest, low passing scores

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by wannabe_teacher, Dec 21, 2010.

1. wannabe_teacher

wannabe_teacher Rookie

Dec 21, 2010

Hello,
    I am newly registered but have been lurking here for a couple of months and have learned much.

Anyway, my question is: I received low Cbest scores and am wondering if I should retake the tests in order to ensure future employment.

When I look at Edjoin postings, one of the requirements of literally every positon is to submit Cbest test results, even for substitute positions. Although passing, my scores are embarrassingly low (51, 54, & 41), and since teaching positions are far and few between (with LOTS of competition), I am worried that these low scores will negatively impact my job search. Should I retake the tests to improve my score and thus improve my chances of getting hired? Thanks in advance for your input ...

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2010

Hmmm, I never heard of this question before. Does your CBEST form actually show these numbers? I never noticed. I was just happy to have passed it. I really don't think it would be an issue, though.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2010

The certificate of passing shows the date one passed; one's test-taker ID number; at one point, it showed one's birthdate... but, no, not those numbers.

What matters is to have passed. Period.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

If you've passed, you are fine. Don't forget that the people who are looking to hire you may not have done well on them either. ;)

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Dec 21, 2010

My certificate of passing shows my name, test date, ID#, SSN, and DOB; it does not have my score. I think that's all they need a copy of. I don't think it's necessary to retake the test. I actually did better on the CSET than the CBEST because I took the CBEST with zero preparation. This isn't something I would recommend, however.

7. wannabe_teacher

wannabe_teacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2010

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! What a relief!

I haven't received my official scores yet and so just assumed that the results would appear on the "test results" cert that is being asked for. Glad to hear they're not, WHEW! Don't want them to know what a dummy I am! Surprisingly, I am an honors student and have a pretty high IQ. Not sure why I did so poorly on the test! I studied too!

Why do they even show us the scores if they're not needed or printed. On my Real Estate test, it was just pass or fail - no scores.

Oh well, now I've got to concentrate on to the CSETs! UGH! Thanks again for your answers!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 26, 2010

From last to first, wannabe_teacher:

Let me blithely assume that the CSET you're facing next is CSET-Multiple Subjects. If you look for it, you should find lots of overlap between CBEST math and Subtest II and areas of overlap between CBEST reading or writing and Subtest I. (I can make a case for overlap with Subtest III as well: analyzing an artwork isn't that different from analyzing a passage.)

Scores are given in part for those who need to retake, so they have some idea how close to passing they are. Your printed score report will also contain diagnostics. Scores on California's teacher tests are not intended to be used in hiring decisions, however, and CSET score reports show passing scores only as "PASSED".

Many very bright people do worse on CBEST than they expect: some blow it off, others overthink it and work themselves into a lather. Very skilled writers sometimes come up short on the essay section because they mistake the nature of the exercise: it isn't about artistic or creative writing, it's about utilitarian writing, otherwise known as The Five-Paragraph Essay, Plus Or Minus One. I will respectfully submit that the ability to bang out quick utilitarian organized prose is a very useful tool for a teacher.

If you've got questions about your CSET, come pose them in either the Multiple Subject Tests or Single Subject Tests subforums as appropriate, okay?