CBEST - June 17th

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by lucianamelo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

This sounds less like a legislator spontaneously deciding something needs to be changed and more like a legislator who's gotten an earful from people who (a) can't pass CBEST or (b) assume that CBEST is unfair because there are others who can't pass it.

Frankly, if people who have been through the school system in California can't pass CBEST on the second or third try, that's an indictment not only of the test taker but potentially of the system. But it's scary how many people hold advanced degrees and still can't think their way through a basic math problem or write prose that's straightforward and decently argued.

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

What is scary to me is that this bill made it out of the senate to committee in the assembly. I guess it is understandable. The senate is dominated by democrats, and the groups with the highest historical failure rates are most likely to vote democrat.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

These days, I really and truly wouldn't bet on it being a matter of Democrats, nossir.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

Well, it wouldn't have gotten out of the senate otherwise. There are 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans, and the author is a Democrat. But frankly, I don't think there is a lot of difference between Republicans and Democrats these days. And apparently a lot of California voters feel the same way. If all the other competing parties could work together, we could have a viable third party to shake things up a bit.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

It's a lead-pipe cinch that neither big party has a monopoly on stupidity, that's for sure.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

That's why I register "declines to state" and pick which primary ballot I will vote at election time.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

I had friends who tooled around with this bumper sticker: DON'T VOTE. IT ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM. Wrong solution, but you gotta sympathize with the attitude.

8. dbrhstout

dbrhstout New Member

Jun 29, 2006

praxis /hiring questions

I'm really in a quandary. I have been recommended by a principal for hire but I have just moved from Alabama where they did not require the praxis tests. So now I'm trying to get these tests done. Problem: When I mentioned to the principal I was working on my Praxis scores she just said we' d let the superintendent handle that. So I'm frantic because I don't want to come out and ask . So I don't know if I can start teaching with only
    part of my Praxis done or not . I passed the Reading , still waiting on the writing and missed the math by 1 pt. Retaking in July. The Plt and Content Knowledge is not offered until Aug5 (the day after school begins) and mid-Sept.. Meantime , a private
    school wants to hire me and wants an answer by July5. AHHH!
    I don't know what to do. I really need this job but do I take the private school position for less money or take a chance that the public school will let me teach . I have to tell the private school something soon.
    Would appreciate any advice......

9. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2006

Hmmm...

This is way off topic and should be in a separate thread.

IIWY I would get ahold of the superintendent's office and explain the situation, including the fact that you have a competing job offer that needs an answer by July 5. Maybe they can clarify things. Failing that, all you can do is make a decision based on how bad you really need a sure job and how much you want the public school job. We often have to make decisions based on incomplete information. Life is a gamble. Just keep in mind that taking the private school job doesn't mean you are doomed to it for life. There is always next year.

FWIW most states seem to have some kind of provisions that allow teachers with out of state credentials to teach while they get the new requirements out of the way.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

Good advice, Malcolm.

dbrhstout, let me suggest that you check the Louisiana department of education Web site (which, sorry, I don't have handy) to see what it says about teachers coming in from other states. Many states allow something like one to three years' grace before all the local requirements must be satisfied.

11. dbrhstout

dbrhstout New Member

Jul 1, 2006

PRaxis/hiring

Great news!! I got the job and you are right. I've got 3 years on my out of state license to get the Praxis scores. Of course, I'll try to get that behind me as soon as possible. So I'll be teaching 6th grade Reading/Language Arts this year. They are trying a 4 day week schedule this year. That will be different for everyone. Thanks for the ihfo!

New teacher
    Debbie

12. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2006

Congratulations!

13. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading Section Scaled Score: 26

Math Section Scaled Score: 36

I'm really dissapointed. By one point, I was able to maintain a 37 in Math, then go on to take the Writing and boost that score. :(

14. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

Don't get discouraged. Your 37 in math is good enough if you pass the other two sections with a few points to spare. So you have one section out of the way. Just resolve to buckle down and do whatever it takes to raise your other scores. FWIW IIWY I would spend all my time on reading and writing while preparing and during the next exam.

15. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

But I have a 36 in Math, not a 37.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

Guess I need to have the prescription for my reading glasses checked...

Ok, you will have to prepare for math as well. Because you are so close to passing on math, and so far from passing on the other section, I would spend some time on math, but most of the time on the other. Whatever you do, just don't get discouraged. You can ultimately pass the test.

We might be able to help a bit if you will tell us just how you are going about preparing for the test.

17. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jul 4, 2006

Well, I've study most of the CBEST prep books and I've taken the CBEST prep courses at my university (Bobrow prep courses). I'm thinking of retaking the course again to see what's really going on.

What do you suggest?

18. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

Here is my take on prep courses and books. At best, they can give you an idea of what may be on the test, and the areas you need to make an improvement in. Then you need to find the class, tutor, book or internet resource that works for you to make the necessary improvement in each area.

Lets take a hypothetical example. Say you have found that fractions can be on the math section (they can) and have found that you are not up to speed in multiplying mixed fractions. You could go to an internet site like Purple Math (if it works for you) and review the concepts. Then it would be a matter of working lots and lots of problems until you have the concept down pat. You would probably have to find a math textbook with appropriate problems to work, and hopefully with the answers to at least the odd numbered questions.

A similar approach should work for reading.

Writing is a essentially matter of knowing how to write the two kinds of 5 paragraph essays they will ask for: expressive and expository. You have to know the formula. Then you have to practice writing the two kinds of essays. A willing, knowledgeable friend, colleague, teacher or such to read and critique your work is valuable here.

Whatever preparation you do should be focused. If you haven't already done so, you should read the CBEST Test Specifications. They list what can be on each section of the test. If it isn't listed, or at least implied by something that is listed, it won't be on the test.

As far as the math section goes, the questions don't go beyond elementary school math with the exception of scores on standardized tests, so, no geometry, etc. But as you have probably noticed, there are questions on the standardized test score reporting like stanine, percentile, grade equivalent, etc. I had three of these when I took CBEST, that is 6% of the possible points in the section.

19. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Well, I passed (unofficially?) the math and reading sections! I'm not 100% clear on how they scale the scores. Are some questions worth more points than others? Is there somewhere, a previous post perhaps, that explains how this works? All I can find is that there are raw scores and scaled scores, but nothing more specific.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

Congratulations!

As to scoring, look here.

21. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Thanks, Malcolm.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

Think of standardized test score scaling as the last of the great occult arts a la Harry Potter. So far, jd123, it sounds like you've got enough eye of newt and tail of bat to get you through, so you can probably stop worrying about the details. Remember, teacher tests aren't out to figure out how much you know: they're out to figure out whether you know (or can fake) enough, and that's a very different proposition.

23. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

I guess I just want to know how many questions I got right or wrong. Is it out of 80? 70, if they thow out 10 questions? Ah, well, I passed, so I'll be happy with that. As for the essay portion (or whatever I need to complete the above recipe!), I'm anxious to see how I did. I don't need that many more points to total 123, but I'm still anxious.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

People whose scaled score on reading is 60 or greater generally pass the essay section, jd123. I think you're making a bigger deal of this than you need to. Go have a nice margarita, okay?

25. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Oh, ok.:rolleyes:

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

Or chocolate, if that works better.