CBEST - June 17th

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by lucianamelo, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jun 17, 2006

Did anyone other than me take this test which was held early today – June 17th?
    I took it in Los Angeles, California. It was my first attempt and I am hoping the only one.
    Reading comprehension was harder than math. Did anyone else have that experience?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2006

People vary as to which part of the test gives them grief, lucianamelo, but your reaction to the Reading Comprehension section is certainly not unheard of.

It's also fairly common for people to leave a test like this certain that they failed ignominiously, and then find they passed.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 19, 2006

I took the test in orange county and felt the exact same thing woa the math was easy compared to reading comprehension I think I neglected the fact I felt reading and writing was my strong point that I spent a majority of my time over studying for math.......now its wait and see

5. maths teach

maths teach Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

Well, i am in oakland area, and it was my second time to appear in the cbest , for me , this time the reading was pretty much easier than mathematics. last time math section was very very easy as compared to this time and reading was harder to understand last time .
    well, i think they set one section to be tough ,either maths or reading ,every time.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

There are certainly multiple versions of each section, but as a whole each version of the Reading Comprehension section (for example) is equivalent in difficulty to every other version of that section.

maths teach, it sounds like you're taking all three sections at once and having a little difficulty. Have you considered taking just one or two sections at a time?

7. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

I think I can pass the Math and the Reading section of the test, but I am not sure about the Writing part. Since English is not my first language, sometimes it is hard to come out with creative essays. I have taken English at West LA College and passed all the courses with As, but I still don’t feel confident enough!!!! Well, I guess I will just have to wait for the results before worrying too much. :eek:

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2006

maths teach,

Remember that raw scores are converted to scaled scores specifically to deal with differing difficulty levels between forms of a subtest. It is quite possible for you to have to answer 60% of the questions correctly to get a scaled score of 41 one time, and 70% the next time.

lucianamelo,

The good thing about the writing section is that there is a formula you can follow to produce the kind of response the scorers are looking for. It is called a five paragraph essay, If you haven't already learned how to write one, you might want to do a search on the internet. There are many good pages on how to write one there.

9. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

Malcolm,

Thank you for your advice. I have learned that formula in my English 101 class. However, I am worried about structure and pronunciation. I think I need a more varied vocabulary as well. If I don’t pass this time (a thought I am not considering) I will surely need to search online for how to write good essays or take a CBEST prep course.
    The problem with not passing is that I will have to wait until next year to start my teaching program at Cal State Dominguez Hills since the CBEST passing score is one of the requirements to get in. At this time, I am really crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes hoping that I did just fine. :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

A good quick source that gives you an excuse to go out for a nice latte is at Barnes & Noble: the SparkChart on "The New SAT: Writing" has a really good rundown on the five-paragraph essay and its relatives.

11. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

Maths teach, did you pass any part of the test last time?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

luciana, your post #8 must have arrived just before my post #9.

Nice line, there, about "crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes" - if you meant that as a joke, your English skills are fine.

As to vocabulary, one way to start is to use the resources available for SAT vocabulary. You might want to have a look at my favorite SAT prep book, the irrepressible UP YOUR SCORE - the vocabulary section in it is tremendous fun, and the test-taking attitude is extremely useful too.

13. maths teach

maths teach Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

oh yes, i did pass the maths and the writing section with pretty good marks, and reappeared only for the reading section this time.
    hope i do pass it out this time because i am pretty sure that 50% of my answers this time are correct .... lets see!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

If you earned better than 41 on either or both of math and essay, you may be able to pass with less than 41 on reading.

The rule is this: Your total score has to be 123 or more, and you can't have fewer than 37 points on any one section. If your math and essay scores together total 86 points or more, all you need is 37, and you're done.

15. lucianamelo

lucianamelo Rookie

Jun 19, 2006

TeacherGroupie,
    Thank you for your advice. I have just ordered UP YOUR SCORE at Amazon.com. It is a very affordable book, $0.01, just what I was looking for. :angel: I am sure it will be helpful, even if I pass the test. I have ordered so many vocabulary books before, but sometimes it is hard for me to start reading them, some are very boring. This seems interesting….

You guys are very supportive. I am finding this forum very beneficial.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 19, 2006

One cent? Must be an older edition (it gets updated every year, not that that matters for your purposes).

I just did a search for "thesaurus boredom" on Google and found quite a number of links to thesauri and things like them. (A thesaurus is a compilation of synonyms and antonyms that suggests how the the synonyms differ from each other.) Fairly promising possibilities include http://thesaurus.reference.com and The Free Dictionary, http://www.thefreedictionary.com, which is very good on etymologies and also includes a Word of the Day feature.

(Those whose first language is Spanish should pay particular attention to the Free Dictionary: a good deal of the academic vocabulary of English comes to us courtesy of Latin, the original Romance (=Roman) language of which Spanish is a descendant, and the etymologies make those connections clearer.)

17. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006

Cbest

Well, I feel comfortable with the Math part of the CBEST. I took it again on 6/17 and I feel good. Hopefuly, I passed this time. As far as the Reading, let's see how things worked out.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

How many sections did you take this time, o_f316?

19. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I took the Math and Reading. I took my time (2 hrs and 45 for Math; 1 hr and 15 for reading), but I mostly concentrated on Math, since I studied Math the past six weeks. I went back and doucle checked everything like three times in the Math. As far as the Reading, I didn't spend too much time and guessed on a few of them. I'm confident on the Math, though.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

Sounds like you're in pretty good mental shape, then.

21. o_f316

o_f316 Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Thanks! Also, thanks to this board and you of course, I've been positive about this test. Thanks, again!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

Now that makes my day. Be sure to pay it forward, to your future students.

23. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 26, 2006

I took the test in Glendale on the 17th. I did the reading comp, did the math, skipped the math problems that I couldn't do right off the bat, did my first essay,looked at the 2nd essay, went back to the math, and with about 40 minutes left, did the 2nd essay. I don't think I did as well on the
    2nd essay, but I think I did good enough. I was hoping there wasn't too much of one particular type of math problem on the test, since I was having trouble remembering how to do it. And wouldn't you know it, there were quite a few of those problems on the test. I don't know if I'm allowed to say what kind of math problems they were. I left the room with 2 minutes to spare. This was also my first time taking the test. I don't want to jinx myself by saying I think I passed. I can't wait to check the results.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2006

That sounds pretty promising, jd123.

As far as what you can discuss: I think if it's a term that appears on the CBEST Web site as something a person should know, you can echo that: it's fair game, for example, to point out that a CBEST taker should be reasonably able to handle metric measure and conversions involving metric prefixes (kilo, hecto, deka, deci, centi, milli).

25. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 26, 2006

Oh, so if I were to say percentage increases and decreases, that would be ok? I just couldn't get those problems.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2006

Oh, sure, there shouldn't be any difficulty over that.

Hm.

Suppose I have just bought a six-pack of - wait, let me make that Henry Weinhard's draft root beer. Suppose further that some dastard makes off with two bottles. What is the percent change in my stock of root beer?

There are many ways to set this up. One popular way is to use a proportion, where a proportion is two fractions yoked together by an equals sign and (since percent is what we're aiming for) one of the fractions is a fraction for percent. Now the denominator of the percent fraction is ALWAYS 100 - that's what makes the numerator a perCENTage, you see, and it represents, if you will, the whole enchilada. And the percentage-change proportion has as its denominator the quantity you start with, which is similarly the whole enchilada.

Where this gets tricky is in dealing with the numerator. What we want to know is what the change has been. I've now got just four bottles, though <snif> I started with six. So we subtract: bottles now minus bottles to begin with, or in this case 4-6. That gives a negative -2, reflecting the fact that my root beer stock has, alas been depleted. So:

_p = 4-6
    100 . 6

(Ignore the periods; they're just spaceholders.)

Finish the math:

_p = -2
    100 . 6

If you already know that -1/3 is -33.3%, you're golden. If you don't, cross-multiply: 6p = -200, and solve for p. I suffered a 33.3% decrease in my root beer.

Now suppose some kind soul brings me two bottles to replace the ones that were callously removed. By how much has that kind soul now increased my stock of root beer? Well, I started with four (this is post-theft, of course) but end up with six. So...

_p = 6-4
    100 . 4

This time the result is positive, reflecting that there's been a gain, and the answer is a 50% INcrease in my root beer, O happy day!

Does that help?

27. hmaharana

hmaharana Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

I'm just curious to know that all of you who appeared for CBEST exam, have some teaching credentials or are enrolled for teaching program.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Most if not all credential programs require passage of CBEST before the application will even be considered; the majority of the (few) people who have credentials and are taking CBEST now are probably from out of state.

29. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

There was a time, though, when CBEST first came out, that most of the people sitting for it were credentialled teachers. You should have heard all the whining! And it was amazing how many seemd to be having trouble passing.

BTW if you wait long enough, you may not have to take CBEST. SB 248 was introduced last year to eliminate it and made it as far as the Assembly education committee. The CTC didn't seem to be fighting it. However, for some reason it was made a two year bill. I guess the author is having trouble finding enough support in the Assembly. So, this bill may not make it into law, but there is a movement to eliminate CBEST.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

How on earth are they going to test the candidates for administrative credentials, then? (Or is that what this is about...?)

31. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

I am not a teacher. (I do teach Sunday school - this site has been so helpful!) I don't have teaching credentials. I have my MA in linguistics, and I'm thinking about teaching ESL. I need to be certified for that. Looking at CSUN's required courses for certification, I need 3 more classes. In the meantime, I'll do some subbing now that all my kids are in school full time.
    So, no more CBEST in the future? Hope that's not the same type of thing as not requiring the exit exam for high schoolers.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

The idea of allowing people to teach writing when they can't compose two essays that can pass CBEST makes me distinctly queasy.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

That wasn't SB 248, Malcolm: SB 248 deals with acupuncture and osteopathy, among other things.

34. hipteacher06

hipteacher06 New Member

Jun 28, 2006

New Here

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I took the CBEST on June 17th as well. It didn't strike me as being very difficult (hope I am not speaking too soon). I have both an undegraduate and a graduate degree in Communicaitons with concentrations in Journalism and Public Relations.

After years of working in the corporate world I decided I wanted to make a transition into teaching. I have also registered to take the English portion of the CSET on July 22nd. I am excited but also nervous.

Does anyone know when the results from the June 17th CBEST exam will be posted on the Internet site?

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Okay, I found it: it's SB 1209. It calls for incorporating basic reading, writing, and math testing into CSET single subject exams - either this will water down the single subject exams, or it's simply going to fold CBEST into CSET (so perhaps there'd be CSET I parallel to Praxis I?)

Good grief.

jd123, with an MA in linguistics, you should be able to pass CBEST in your sleep, and I suspect you wouldn't have much work to do to do nicely on CSET English as well.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Hello, hipteacher06, and welcome aboard.

CBEST multiple subject results typically get posted about 2 weeks after the exam date; CBEST essay results follow usually another two weeks after that. It's not uncommon for good writers to run afoul of the essay tasks, till they remember to write as though they were in high school composition class.

37. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

jd123, with an MA in linguistics, you should be able to pass CBEST in your sleep, and I suspect you wouldn't have much work to do to do nicely on CSET English as well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I tried the English portion of the cset on-line. There's a linguistics part and a literature part, right? Am I thinking of the cset or something else? Anyway, I didn't do well on the lit. part!

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Malcolm, I looked at that site, and I read through the chaptered text dated 10/7/05, on which day this bill was signed into law by Schwarzenegger, and it doesn't mention CBEST. Perhaps CBEST was part of SB 248 in an earlier incarnation, but it isn't there now.

SB 1209, however, is: http://democrats.sen.ca.gov/templat...5466&z=179&cp=NewsArticle&pg=article&fpg=news

jd123, you know how to learn. Rummage among the threads on single subject English exams - don't be afraid of the archive - and you'll find resources that can help you.

Where in the state are you located?

39. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

If I read this correctly, child-care providers would have to prove proficiency in basic reading, writing, and math by either passing an exam or having an associate's degree. And among the requirements for out of state teachers seeking single subject credentials (section 44274.2.a.3) is that they HAVE to have majored in the subject area they're going to teach; that would seem to close the door on prospective math teachers who majored in business, science, or engineering... hmm.

41. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

Amazing what we get when legislators think they know how to run education, isn't it?

I don't think CBEST proves a thing beyond having learned what you were supposed to learn in elementary school. But I think it is necessary to screen out the 20% of candidates who never pass all three parts. Credential programs in California have had a history of letting these people slide right through. And I really don't want anyone who cannot pass CBEST teaching our kids.

Be aware that one possibility is that the writing requirements of CBEST could eventually be folded into the CR questions on CSET. Right now, grammar, punctuation, etc. is not graded (well, with the possible exception of the English and foreign language tests), just command of the subject matter. If they starting grading for that, watch for the passing rates to fall sharply.