CBEST - I don't get "scaled scores"

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by SoDone, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SoDone

SoDone New Member

Apr 11, 2019

Hi. Can you please help me understand my scores?

I took the CBEST (computer based) today and here's the print out they gave me:
    Scaled scores:
    Reading 71
    Math 60
    What does scaled mean? I googled and still don't understand.
    I sadly only left 29 minutes for both essays. I finished (2) 5 paragraph essays but they weren't high quality so I know I will have to take that part again. I'm just trying to figure out if I stil.meed to be studying math over the next 45 days

Thank you in advance!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2019

The raw score on a test is the number of points one earned. The maximum raw score for CBEST math or CBEST reading comprehension is 50 - one point per answer - minus the ten questions that don't get counted because they're being field-tested for inclusion in future tests. The maximum raw score for CBEST essay is 16 (two essays scored on a scale from 1 to 4 by two scorers each).

CBEST exists in multiple versions. Since it's inevitable that the questions and essay topics will vary among themselves in difficulty, the result is that a raw score of 25 on one version of CBEST's math section may reflect a different level of performance than a raw score of 25 on a different version. Scaling the scores serves in part to correct for that variation, so your 71 scaled score in reading reflects the same level of performance as anyone else's 71 scaled in reading, even though you may have answered fewer questions correct because your questions were more challenging.

CBEST scaled scores run from 20 to 80 per section. You have reported scaled scores of 71 in reading and 60 in math, giving you a total of 131 scaled points so far. There is no reason whatsoever for you even to consider retaking either math or reading comprehension: you have already fulfilled one of the conditions for passing CBEST, which is that the aggregate scaled score (for all three sections together) must be 123 or greater. The other condition for passing CBEST is that in no section may the test taker's maximum scaled score be below 37. In other words, while a full passing score for CBEST's essay section is 41, you, SoDone, can score as little as 37 and pass.

Let me add that CBEST scorers aren't looking for high-quality writing: they're looking for adequate writing. If a five-paragraph essay satisfied the narrative prompt, and if you delivered two five-paragraph essays that were adequate in rhetorical force, support, organization, mechanics, and usage, you may very well find that you are, in fact, done.

Keep us informed, please.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. SoDone

SoDone New Member

Apr 11, 2019

TeacherGroupie thank you so much for your quick response and explanation. I swear this whole CBEST thing has had me so worried. I was a lurker in the forum for weeks before my test lol! You have provided some AMAZING information for us nervous test takers. It is greatly appreciated!

I will keep you posted on my essays. The content was poor in my opinion but maybe just maybe I was able to cover everything. I agonized over the reading and math and before I knew it that darn 30 minute warning popped up.

Thanks again!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2019

You're most welcomr, SoDone.

6. SoDone

SoDone New Member

Apr 20, 2019

I somehow managed to pass the essay. I only left myself 29 mins to write both because I agonized over the math. I scored a 41 on the essay. I guess those 5 part essay YouTube videos worked.

I have been intimidated by this test for years. Yes, I know it's a basic skills test but I am really bad at math and I convinced myself I just couldn't pass that part. The only reason I finally did it is because I need to advance in my career and this was a requirement. I got a 71 reading, 60 math and 41 writing. I am saying this all this to hopefully help someone else who is struggling. Get out of your head, use the study guides on the CTC website (there are YouTube videos that will walk you through every question), read all the tips on this website and you'll pass!
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2019

Thanks for the words of encouragement for those who struggle, SoDone. And I trust you've celebrated, or will celebrate, your achievement with people who are important to you and who understand how big a thing this is for you.

8. SoDone

SoDone New Member

Apr 22, 2019

TeacherGroupie yes!!!! Burgers at Red Robbin with the hubby and kiddos. Lol!

Thanks again!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2019

Excellent! This is also an achievement at whose glow to warm your hands on one of those wintry nights of the soul in which one fears one Just Can't. You could, and did, no?