CBEST General Information Needed

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by MK7, Apr 3, 2007.

1. MK7

MK7 New Member

Apr 3, 2007

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some information. I'm totally new to this. I took the practice tests and got 90% on the Reading and (much to my surprise) 92% on the Math. Essays are not rated on the Practice Test.

What is considered passing for all three parts of the test? How long is the test? And how close to the practice test is the real test?

Thanks.

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Apr 4, 2007

I found that the practice tests were more difficult than the actual tests. What practice test are you taking? Is it from the CBEST handbook or website or from a study guide?

4. MK7

MK7 New Member

Apr 4, 2007

I took the practice tests from the CBEST Website.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2007

You're in fine shape to pass, then, MK7, and you're probably worrying more than you need to.

If there's a teacher test on which a score of 75% correct is too low to pass, I'd be startled. 2/3 or less correct is more like it.

6. MK7

MK7 New Member

Apr 13, 2007

Hello it's me again...

Regarding the Essay Portion...how long do the Essays have to be. That's where I'm worrying the most. I keep thinking my mind will go blank and I won't be able to relate on any topic.

What are the types of subjects the have you write essays about and how much do you have to actually have specific examples...like from books?

Thanks.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2007

Topics can be drawn from school situations, but don't have to be. They tend not to be really, really hot-button issues but are issues on which reasonable people can reasonably agree.

As to "how long, O Lord"?, go hunt up this document from the pdf version of the practice test:

http://www.cbest.nesinc.com/PDFs/CA_OPT_Writing.pdf

It contains two sample prompts and several sample answers. Pay attention to the answers that scored 3 or 4 points: that's what you're shooting for.