CBEST Feb 10 results are out!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Polarisail, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Feb 26, 2007

First time to post to this site but thought I should say something as I have been kind of lurking in the various pages.

The "unofficial" CBEST scores from the Feb 10 test are out and I did as I expected on the reading and math sections, 74 on each. Not as sure on the writing as I kind of ran short on time but hope to pass it also. I've been in the Transportation industry for over 23 years and finally finished my BA degree this fall! (Started in 1976 and ran out of money and time back then). Always wanted to teach and married a Teacher I met when we were students way back then.

Let me know how others did!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2007

If you got 74 on each multiple choice section, Polarisail, you need only have scored 37 on the essays to pass. The maximum score per CBEST section is 80, so that's a pretty remarkable performance. Well done!

4. BruceLily

BruceLily New Member

Feb 26, 2007

Sadly, I did not do so well. I am not from California and I graduated from college 3.5 years ago, so I'm a little out of practice. If I got a 39 and a 58 on reading and math, respectively, does that mean there is no way to pass? Does this mean I won't be getting accepted into the grad schools I applied?
    I'm so deflated.:(

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2007

Here are The Rules:

(1) You have to score at least 123 aggregate.

(2) You may not score fewer than 37 points in a section.

Now your scores so far are both 37 or better, so you're fine there. The sum of them is 97, which means you'd need just 26 points on the essay section to have 123 points aggregate, but of course you've got to reach 37 in each section.

Bottom line: If you wrote essays that are reasonably well organized and not too full of errors, you're done.

6. fidoprincess

fidoprincess Rookie

Feb 26, 2007

TeacherGroupie, After all of your help, I feel obligated to report back to you-lol! Just slinking back with my head hanging in shame though. After all that hard work studying the math, I got a 66-boo hoo! I can not believe it!! When I took that test, I thought it was so so easy. I thought the math was so simple that they must have been really "trick" questions-grrr. I guess the trick was on me! Now I am dying to see what I missed.

So how many wrong is that after all? I know it is passing and I should be happy but honestly, I expected maybe 2 wrong at the most and just can't get over the low score.

At least I did get 80 in the reading but it just doesn't soften the blow in the math section. Hopefully I will pass the writing and be over it all soon. If I do not pass the writing, I will really be ashamed of myself.

Brucelily, Don't despair yet, you can still pass with as low of 37 on the writing if I understand this message that came with my email scores:
    "Note that each section score is reported on a scale ranging from 20 to 80. For the Reading and Mathematics sections, your score is based on the total number of questions you answered correctly. The passing score for each section of the CBEST is a scaled score of 41. A total CBEST score of 123 is required for passing status. It is possible, however, to pass the CBEST with a scaled score of as low as 37 on one or two sections, provided that the total score is 123 or higher. It is not possible to pass the CBEST if any section score is below 37, regardless of how high the total score may be."

So your 39 plus your 58 =97 and then you need to have at least 123 total whch is only 26 more points so you could get as low of 37 on the writing and still pass the test! However, I am not very confident in my math so hopefully teachergroupie will step in and reassure you!

Congrats to you Polarisail! I don't think I ever heard of anyone getting the exact same great scores on both sections! Good Job!

7. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Feb 26, 2007

Thanks everyone!

Thanks to everyone! I worked pretty hard to get these scores but am a bit worried on the writing score. Like a lot of others I have read about here, I spent a bit over 2 1/2 hours on the first two sections, maybe that's why I did so well, when it came to the two essays I was a bit pressed for time and spent an hour on the persuasion leaving me only 30 minutes on the final essay. I hope I was very inspired for 30 minutes! :eek:

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2007

fidoprincess, I'm not going to tell you you're being silly about your 66, because you are by no means not alone and it is rather an affront to one's dignity. Chances are you got bored and your brain decided to take a break before the rest of you could.

Polarisail, I'll concede that it's theoretically possible that you may have come to grief with the essays, and good writers have that experience with some regularity. (CBEST Essay is not about writing well. It's about writing structured prose, fast. There's a difference.) But I think the likelihood is rather low.

9. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 26, 2007

YEAHHH I passed!

I just wanted to report back that I passed the only section I took which was math so now I have passed the entire exam! Finally a BIG thorn out of my side. I am im the process of getting all my CA documentation for the Pupil Personnel Credential-- transcripts take forever. It is all a waiting game at this point.

Thank you for all of your support. I read more that I post but am here frequently.

Liz;)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 26, 2007

Liz, well done! If you haven't celebrated, please make sure you do so.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Feb 27, 2007

Congratulations to all!!

I mostly lurk around the board for wonderful information, but I had to delurk to ring in on the "whew!" and huge sigh of relief with everyone on this topic.

One thing to keep in mind is the obvious of all obviouses (if that's a word :) ) with this CBEST test....

You won't be hired because you got a high or low score on it. Nobody hiring you cares whether or not it took you 2, 3, 10 times to pass sections of the CBEST. And most of all...passing is passing.

That being said....

I'm rather tickled and totally excited that I passed with a 42 in the reading, and 55 in the math portions.

Yes, I "squeaked" by in the reading according to the allowed passing score of 41, and from the sounds of it, I didn't do too shabby in the math either.

The next week of waiting for the writing portion to be grade is going to be hairy, but either way, I'm okay if I have to try again or barely passed.

After all, sitting in a room for 4 hours to take a test on 3 different sections with an amazing amount of stress and other factors (Personally, I'm currently taking a full course load and writing 2 case studies), if you passed the test that's wonderful. If you didn't, well, think of it as practice and try again. What does Dory say? "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming..." :)

Congratulations to all who have survived just sitting in the room to take the CBEST test! :D

12. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

Applecore, You didn't just pass your CBEST Reading and Math sections, you finished them! This is the main point for me as finishing one part so that I can move on to the next is my goal. You have done that and no matter how we do on the writing section, we are still moving forward to finish our goal of becoming Teachers!

Congratulations and let me know how your last CBEST section goes.

Gordon :D

13. tests n more

tests n more Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

positive words

oh my gosh thank you for making me feel better... I just got my math test result and am so dissapointed in myself! I didn't pass..

14. tests n more

tests n more Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

advice

I noticed you are very informed about the tests.. can you give me some advice on whether I should take a section again even though I received a 38 on it especially since this is minimal passing right? Or should I leave it alone? I have taken the cbest 2 times to try and pass the math section and got a 35 on it UGH! I am using the Learning Express Book is this a good book? Thanks

15. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

I would leave well enough alone and study The Princeton Review 2002 and Kaplans 2004 book. The exam resembles The Princeton Review so close that it is my recommendation. I took the CBEST 3 times but never once did I study for the math, with the exception of this last time and I finally passed. One week of full on studying is what I found to be recommended by others with the books I mentioned above. I am tellin' ya if I can pass this thing anyone can!

Good luck to you!

Liz;)

16. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

Thank you Teacher groupie. I plan to celebrate over the weekend with a quiet romantic dinner with my hubby and send the kids to my parents for a few hours;).

17. applecore

applecore Devotee

Feb 27, 2007

Amen, Gordon!
    It ain't all about just passing the test...it's enduring the process!

Most definately...I'll be the one either shouting Yahoo's that I passed the writing test or Yahoo's to look out because I get to take it again! Hey, there's always a positive side to it, right?? :D

Cheers!

18. applecore

applecore Devotee

Feb 27, 2007

Well, super hugs to you!

Keep in mind and heart that this test was a great test trial. Now that you know how it works you'll be ready next time around!

Toss out the disappointment, Sweetheart...it was a tough test, and (I know I sound like a broken record but...) it was a long day to survive just sitting there for 4 hours!

May the sun shine on you!

Cheers!

19. applecore

applecore Devotee

Feb 27, 2007

The CBEST website has a great example of the test to practice with. It's a pdf-file you can down load and print off your computer. I found it very helpful and at least dust off some math cobwebs hanging around my mind. And the best part of it all...it's free! Okay, so minus the paper and ink :D

Best wishes on your decision to either take it or leave it, but depending on your over all grade, I'd say take it.

20. Polarisail

Polarisail Rookie

Feb 27, 2007

Test n more,
    Try finding LEARNING EXPRESS THE COMPLETE PREPARATION GUIDE CBEST. It comes with a cd to help you test with. The cd is a little quirky but once you figure out how to use it you can buzz through the math section and it will tell you what you did wrong and how to get the right answer. It was a big help to me. After working this for the reading and math for a couple of weeks then I moved to Kaplan for fine tuning on the math area.

Don't sweat the details, put about 4-5 hours a week in for a month and you will do better.

Gordon

21. tests n more

tests n more Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Thanks I will try the Kaplan book it seems that is a very up to date book to use... thank you !!

22. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Feb 28, 2007

Good luck to you!;)