CBEST - April 9

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Navy Wifey, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Navy Wifey

Navy Wifey Rookie

Apr 7, 2005

Hi!

I'm taking the CBEST Exam this Saturday and I am extremely nervous. I've read some great advice on these boards, but I am still a bit weary. Do you know how they get the scaled score? To anyone that took the CBEST... how many times did you have to take it to pass? How long did you prepare for the exam?

Any advice is much appreciated. :) Thanks!

3. new2teach

new2teach New Member

Apr 8, 2005

I'm taking it tomorrow too, and I am very nervous. I got a hotel room right by the test site and am getting off work from my legal secretary job early ( at 3:00) today so I can get to the hotel, check in and proceed to cram! It was my nature or "style of study" throughout college to procrastinate. I think I just might pay for it this time around. I bought the Kaplan prep manual and am fairly confident with all portions but the mathematics! Long post short- I need some advice too...

4. orchid

orchid Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

My 3rd try

I passed the reading and essay the 1st time, but tomorrow will be my 3rd try on the math. I started the credential program this quarter at CSULA, but if I do not pass it this time, I will call it quits for now. Pray for me.

5. Navy Wifey

Navy Wifey Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

Orchid...

((( POSITIVE VIBES )))

Don't worry about the number of times you've taken the Math... just go in there with optimism and like it's you're first time and you'll do fine. You'll be in my prayers tonight as well as other taking the exam tomorrow. :angel:

I have to reiterate that I am so nervous!! :crosseyed

6. sandy

sandy Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

Hello I am taking the CBEST exam tomorrow too.. to pass you will have to get 123 score (each sections 41) but i dont know about for how points each question carries? it would be gr8 if anyone let me know about this...

Best Of Luck !!!

7. Navy Wifey

Navy Wifey Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

I found this link regarding scaled scoring.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=7537

Much luck to you as well. :)

8. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

Apr 9, 2005

honestly, i feel the CBEST is a waste of time. it is like a 3rd grade test. it is not even comparable to the CSET or GRE. if someone cannot pass the CBEST then i really don't think they are in the right profession.

none the less: for everyone nervous, dont be. it is a breeze. tests up to 9th grade level in math & english.

9. lifecomplicated

lifecomplicated Rookie

Apr 9, 2005

dangermouse i am glad that it is just your opinion because personally i struggled through english especially writing during my college years. I am good at math but suck with english. I failed the writing section and was not surprised but i hope i pass it today. your comment to me is offensive and i know people who have struggles with the writing section also. I actually found the subtest one and two on the cset to be a lot easier than the Cbest. I won't know for sure until I get my scores.
    I really don't see what the cset or cbest has to do with me going into special education.

10. Navy Wifey

Navy Wifey Rookie

Apr 9, 2005

I just got home from taking the CBEST. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... but then again, I could change my mind once I get my test scores. :p

11. new2teach

new2teach New Member

Apr 11, 2005

CBEST April 9th began at 9:01 finished at 12:18!

:D Yes!!! I found it to be much less of a taxing exam then I had expected; in fact what I thought would be the most difficult portion (the math) was the easiest! I am fairly confident that I at least passed 2 of the 3 sections. Who knows, maybe all 3! I am very eager for those internet tentative scores to be released on April 25th for reading and math sections! Of course the official scores which will be inclusive of the essay portion of the exam are available online May 2nd, same day they're mailed to examinees! So eager! Glad to hear you found it not such a bad exam. We're going to make it!

12. jello

jello Rookie

Apr 11, 2005

i took the cbest awhile ago - i think two years ago. i studied with cliff notes and got a tutor for math. i was surprised in the end -- i did better in the math part than the english section. i have to take the cset soon - and it looks a whole lot harder - scary

13. Snow

Snow New Member

Jun 2, 2005

I took the cbest two years ago for the first time, and passed the math and read sections. After, I retook the essay writing part more than ten times to pass . i have not passed yet. it is very discouraging. Yes, English is not my first language. Korean is my first language. Is anybody in the same situation like me? Have anyone any suggestions or information of the preparation for me? Does anyone know any course that might help me? I need the minimum score, 37, on it. So far, I have taken college English 1A and made it barely. Recently, I finally had " one to one" tutoring for a few month on and off.
    ~a frustrated testee

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2005

Snow, I'm sorry you're frustrated.

CBEST essays are scored by six rubrics: rhetorical force, organization, structure and conventions, support, usage, and appropriateness. Your score reports should show, in the bottom left corner of the page, what the scorers thought was problematic in each essay. Is there something that keeps getting mentioned? You can answer here or send me a private message.

15. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Sep 13, 2005

Couldn't find your results on how you did.

I was wondering while reading your post, did you end up passing? I am taking the math section Oct 8th and would like to get some insight on how was it easier? What book did you use? I have the Barron's book and I only have to do the math portion. Any suggestions on books?

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2005

WonderW05, if you're comfortable with math on the level expected for the CSET, you should do fine on CBEST math. Barron's CBEST book (unless there's a new one out) assumes an older version of the test that had more algebra and geometry and didn't have the questions on test score interpretation - there's one question among the sample questions in the CBEST registration bulletin. You don't have to calculate stanines and percentiles and all that, but you do need to know what stanines and percentiles and quartiles are and what they have to do with test scores.

17. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Sep 13, 2005

Thanks

I went today and checked the copyright dates on the two books that I had Barron's copyright was 2001 and the other book was 1998. I ended up going to Boarders and bought Cracking the CSET 2002. I think that this one will help as someone previously suggested studying from it.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 13, 2005

Use the Barron's to study for CSET math, then.

19. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Oct 5, 2005

Studied,studied,studied

I finally finished studying the math section of the CBEST. This is the only section I need to pass to finish this thing up. I know that I should rest tomorrow (some people suggest just do something fun). However, I feel like I need to take the first part of my day tomorrow to review. How much reviewing is too long and any last advice before going Saturday or on Saturday?
    For example, I have heard that during the test I should work on the questions that I know and then go back to the ones I am not so sure on after I have answered the ones I really know. I really hope I pass this! Thanks again for everyone's support.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 6, 2005

Inspired by innovationguy over on the Single Subject forum, I had nearly finished a mock-legalese Edict covering permitted activities Friday evening - and then all the lights went out. So you're getting the short version instead: count your blessings, dear.

- Study during the day if you must, but please spend the evening NOT cramming: it's bad for your thought processes. Evening recreation should be with a few people who help you feel calm, confident, and smart; don't drink enough to have a hangover in the morning.

- It makes perfect sense to concentrate on answering the easy questions: the object here is not to answer particular questions, it is to answer enough questions correctly. If you get stuck on a hard question, you may not have time to get to some easy ones.

- If you start feeling panicky, take a bathroom break, whether or not you actually need to go to the bathroom. Don't just leave.

Best of luck!