cause and effect

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by 1gdteach, Mar 5, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 5, 2008

Does anyone have any fun ideas for teaching cause and effect????

Tiff:thanks:

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 5, 2008

This isn't really fun - but I did something where every morning, in my morning message I would ask a question - the cause. Then the kids would think of the answer, sometimes I'd have them write it on the message. Then we'd discuss how cause and effect is everywhere. I think this made it easier for them to spot it in their reading...

Some examples of what I wrote:
    - Why did you wear a coat to school today? (It's cold out, etc.)
    - Why did you check in for lunch today? (To make sure you have a hot lunch, etc.)
    - Why did you get on the bus this morning? (To get to school)
    - Why did I turn the lights on in the classroom this morning? (So we can see, etc.)

You get the idea. The kids loved these.

4. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

You could have the students act things out too. I used this a lot when I taught K, and had to teach appropriate actions to things, how we feel, etc. We would act out someone not sharing, yelling in another's face, cutting in line, and lots more.

Also use acting in 8th gr. SS, for example: Tea Act - Boston Tea Party, etc.

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

I had my 5th graders draw a picture and write the cause and effect that they illustrated. Their favorite was "I forgot to let the dog out, so he peed on the rug."

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Mar 8, 2008

We defined cause as "something that makes something else happen" and effect as "that something else that happens as a result." Then I acted out several silly cause and effects with students--I had a little girl who always follows the rules pretend to stomp on my foot and I yelled "Ow!" really loudly, I had another student toss their boot in the middle of the floor and did a prat fall, and other stuff like that. After each example, I had the students identify the cause and the effect. Then I had pairs of students come up with their own cause and effect to act out, and the class had to identify the cause and effect afterwards. They loved it!

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 8, 2008

Oh I forgot how I introduced the whole concept, which got a big "WOW" from the kids... I set up a string of dominoes on my desk, and asked what would happen if I pushed over the first one... of course they all knew, and then I did it. Simple, but 2nd graders are wowed quite easily. :D