Cause and Effect

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Jan 9, 2008.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Jan 9, 2008

I am going to be introducing cause and effect next week to my class. How do you all do this? Thanks! :)

3. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Jan 9, 2008

I start out with basic examples like:

If you forget your homework what is the effect?

I fell and tripped over the book on the floor. What caused me to fall?

If you take a mouse to school is also a great book that lends itself to this skill. (All the If you... books are helpful for this skill)

4. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Jan 20, 2008

I'm currently reading Charlotte's Web with my class and the activity for one of the chapters was on cause and effect. I used some examples that the students could relate to first--like, if it's raining, we have recess inside. If I fall off my bike, I skin my knee. Etc. Then we read the chapter, and we found some cause and effect examples. I don't know that you want to read Charlotte's Web just to teach this lesson, but you could probably start with some cause/effects that apply to your students, and then maybe you could find a piece of literature to share and do the same type of activity.

Good luck!

5. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jan 21, 2008

beCAUSE you didn't put on your coat, you are cold.
    I use beCAUSE a lot.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 21, 2008

especially good for sp. ed, and parents who baby their kids to death! :eek:hmy: they do not believe in cause and effect. they believe in my kid caused it, I must effectively fix it for them.

because you did not pick up the blocks, you trip over them

because you left the playdough out, it's all hard and we have to toss it

because you put the fireman hat down, somebody else picked it up

because you spilled your milk, you must clean it up

because you tore my book, you must get tape and fix it

because you dumped sand on the floor yesterday, the sand table is closed today

we tend to live in a world where a fairy godmother (i.e. parent) comes around and does everything for us

still waiting for her to make copies for me! :huh:

ok, the real lessons

make playdough...what happens when flour, salt and food coloring meet?

the gooey mixing tube. yellow liquid and red liquid congel and make orange liquid. don't know the official name...somebody help me out

sensory table-water/sand/packing peanuts, anything that is safe. empty and fill containers...see the results.

making jello

making popsicles

bring in a cup of snow, and watch it melt

7. map

map Companion

Jan 28, 2008

I use "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" and all the other related books (Mouse/Muffin, Pig/Pancake etc) I read one book each day. I also stapled a book together for the children to make their own cause/ effect books. This has seemed to really help them understand the concept. I did the basal the week before and they did terrible on all the worksheets/end of the week test so I had to do more. Hope this helps.

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

I also recommend If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (or any of the other books). When introducing cause and effect to my second graders (student teaching), I read that book to them and asked questions about the events in the story.

:D

9. blsizemore

blsizemore New Member

Sep 6, 2010

What kind of book? I mean, do you leave the pages blank, or do you write a prompt on them? I teach 3rd grade and think this would be fun/good for my students. Thanks!