Caught'ya grammar

Discussion in 'High School' started by dovian, Aug 26, 2007.

1. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

I just bought the HS Caught'ya book after reading some reccomendations on the forum, and I am interested to know how people implement it. Do you use it every day or a couple days a week? Do you use her grading system for them, or do you check them some other way? I am thinking about replacing my journal with grammar warmups from this book, but my kids really liked journal this past year so I am unsure.

3. lmjcatz

lmjcatz Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I am going to use the Caught ya's for some of my classes this year-I plan to alternate between the caught ya's and quick writes (5 minutes based on the prompt I've given them), in hopes that the students won't get tired of doing either too quickly!! I will use both as bell work. I plan to grade the caught ya's like she does, but may modify as necessary. For my lower levels, I will probably rewrite them so that there are only a couple of errors each time. I may also modify them to incorporate the types of recurring errors I find in the students' writing.

4. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks, that helps. I did do some math today and I figured out that if there were 120 sentences that leaves me more than a month of school to do something else, so I feel ok about alternating with journals. I will probably not make them worth as much as she suggests. I am thinking of using the same story for my 9th and 10th graders just to make my life easier. Have you used it before? Do the kids like it? Last year I was using Warriner's English Grammar and Composition but it never went over well, and by the time we got to adjectives they had forgotten what a noun was!