Caught off guard

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Beazly, May 6, 2012.

1. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 6, 2012

I recently had a phone interview for a teaching position in a neighboring state. It was a rather awkward interview to begin with as I couldn't see the panel and they couldn't see me, however, one of the questions completely threw me for a loop. It was:

Alabama has recently passed a law cracking down on illegal immigration. As a result, many Hispanic families are afraid to send their children to school. Do you think the children of illegal immigrants have a right to a public education in the U.S.?

Talk about a political firestorm. How does one answer such a question and how can a district ask such a thing? There are very strong opinions on both sides of this and it's a fifty-fifty chance of which side this district is on and how they would view your answer.

Any thoughts?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 6, 2012

I would have answered truthfully, and then said that given that the district where I teach has a policy against teachers stating political opinions while at school I felt uncomfortable discussing it.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 6, 2012

I would have said something like "without getting too much into the politics, I have a responsibility to educate whoever is on my roster."

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

This is how I would have answered as well.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 6, 2012

I like Mathemagician's response, too. The question would have been a big red flag to me, though, to reconsider working for that district.

7. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 6, 2012

I agree, great answer!

This is a hot topic right now and you never know which way a certain district is leaning. I can't imagine having to report my own students to immigration, couldn't do it. What an awful position to be in as a teacher.

8. courtney

courtney Rookie

May 6, 2012

Agreed..this came up during my pedagogy class; I ticked a few fellow classmates off by stating "I don't work at the INS: I'm a teacher; you are, too. Don't let your political leanings hamper your ability to do your job."

9. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 6, 2012

Excellent response. Too bad I didn't think of it. I was honestly so flustered that they would ask me a political question that my answer was barely coherent.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2012

So what did you say?

11. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 6, 2012

Interestingly enough, I just attended a conference where this was addressed, so I can answer this! It isn't by state but federal:

Plyler vs. Doe 1982 - limited to K-12 schooling - you cannot deny such students enrollment since they were brought here under circumstances beyond their control (mostly, their parents made the choice to come illegally, not the children).

Basically, all they need to prove is that they live in the district and the parent/caretaker's relationship with the child.

Miss Beazly, I'm also curious to know how you answered?

12. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

May 6, 2012

Heartdrama - Agreed. May be difficult for some, but all political/legal issues should be put aside in the classroom. In the meantime, sounds to me like this law in AL could likely be overthrown by Supreme Court.

Miss Beazly, I personally am not surprised a school in Alabama brought this issue up and asked your opinion, although I agree with the answer that politics should not be discussed. They may have just been asking to see if you knew about the current educational issues they were facing, as it is national news.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 6, 2012

Great answer. On another note, what a bizarre question for them to ask you.

14. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

May 7, 2012

For those of you that asked what my answer was, as I recall, it was something like, uh, uh, that's a good question, and something about state's rights and all children being educated. :eek:

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 7, 2012

I think that if you said "all children being educated", your answer was probably fine. I would be flustered with that question too.