Cattle Call Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Jul 11, 2011.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 11, 2011

I was emailed and asked if I wanted to be part of a cattle-call interview for a secondary SS teaching position. Does anyone have experience for this? What should I expect? How does one stand out amongst the cattle?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

I've never been on one, or conducted one. So I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but here goes.

- Dress as an absolute professional. That means a suit, whether or not they're common in your area. If you're female, go with stockings, pumps, the works. Do NOT stand out as the most casually dressed. No one will think less of you for being TOO professional.

- Make up a brochure. Have lots of them to distribute to the interview team.

- Make lots of small talk before the actual interview. Stand out as "that friendly" applicant.

- Be the one to take the initiative. "Hi, I'm teacher304" accompanied by a firm handshake and a smile. Even before the interview starts, I think you can assume people are watching. That includes the secretary who signs you in and everyone else. Assume that every single person you meet is part of the interview team.

- Know about the school and the position. Research the state requirements. Do the kids take some sort of SS test? (In NY it's called a Regents exam and is normally given in 11th grade.) What's covered in each grade?

- Have some concrete ideas. Know how you would teach the Renaissance or WWII or reconstruction or the Civil Rights movement.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

Be as calm and confident as you can be. Interviews like these can be intimidating as you actually see other applicants. Know that you have earned this job more than any other applicant.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

I went to one because I thought it would be good practice. In this situation, you signed in and there were a group of interviewers who would take people in the order they had arrived (like a grocery deli). The interviewers were administrators from the district. It was mostly principals, but I met with the Supt. We talked for quite a while and I must have made a good impression because I received 4 calls the next day from the elementary principals at 4/5 schools all saying that I had been highly recommended for a position by the Supt.

So it could be well-worth your time.

Good luck.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 11, 2011

Did they actually call it a "cattle call"?

7. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 11, 2011

Thanks Alice!

Yes, they actually called it a cattle call.