Cats & UTI's...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Crzy_ArtTeacher, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

My poor baby Jakob (well kitty but he's my baby), had to go in for an emergency at the vet yesterday due to a UTI. He had to get 'unplugged' and this morning the vet told me he was full of crystals the poor thing. Fingers crossed he's coming home today, our home is lonely without our cat

I know of at least 5 other cat owners that have had this happen within the last month or two! One of my friends lost his cat after the whole ordeal and over a grand later in bills! I had no idea they were as common as they apparently are.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so do you do any sort of preventative measures for your cat now, i.e. diet...

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

Art Teacher, I don't have a cat and I don't know a thing about what you're talking about...but I've got to know...what is this about Jakob getting "UNPLUGGED"??? And how did he get full of crystals??? All I can imagine are those salt crystals that we used to make when we were kids. :blush:
    what happened?? Poor Jakob!

4. KDS

KDS Companion

Mar 18, 2009

feed him the urinary track food. we had to take my baby Captain to the vet last valentine's day to get unplugged and get rid of the crystals. cost a pretty penny.
    i had another cat a long time ago with the same problem. and switching to the other food works.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2009

Um, we've had several cats, growing up and then after getting married, and I've never heard of any of them getting UTI.

6. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Mar 18, 2009

My cat had the same (also a male, wonder if there is a connection?) He has been on a special low sodium diet for 7 years now but never back to the dr. My kitty nearly died, cost me several thousand, nearly had kidney failure & bladder nearly burst coz of the amount of crystals.

Keep your cats in good shape and don't let them get overweight coz that will contribute. Once they're on their special diet, don't give them anything else to eat, ever, and only water to drink.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

How did you all know about the UTIs? I'm always paranoid that my bunny will get sick and I won't know. He has yet to talk to me.

8. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

Well I know my Jakob very well and his behavior was SO strange. He was trying to pee on the floor and when I scolded him and picked him up there was no urine. He was trying to find other places to urine because of the pain associated with the litter box.

(the crystals are what forms in the cats bladder when urine backs up and sits there from what I understand.)

There have been many of my friends lately that have had cats acting the same way so I knew immediately that this must be the case.

Apparently he ate breakfast and is doing very well,... luckily 'only' 370 dollars or so later.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

Crzy_Art - I've read online that the "cheap" dry food - like Meow-Mix or Purina - can cause crystals. I do know there's almost no nutritional value in them (they're like potato chips for kitties.) I read horrible accounts of UTIs and crystals in cats after eating the Meow-Mix Indoor Formula (I had just been looking it up to see if it really was better for her - I promptly switched to Iams).

It is healthy for them to eat wet food at least once a day (more water, more pee, etc.) Male cats are also more likely to get UTIs.

They also have cranberry treats for cats to help prevent UTIs. BabyCat won't eat them, so I crushed them up in her food.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

how sad for these kitties!

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

Jem; we have a bunny too!!
    I'm still bothered by the "smell" in the air...my son cleans the cage DAILY!
    I recently purchased a cheaper bag of bunny food, and have noticed a smellier BM (sorry folks); I'm going back to PetSmart and get the bunny food there. What do you think?
    She's a miniature housebunny.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

:( oh how sad.

13. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 18, 2009

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2009

I have had lots of experience with this. Our old black cat has had many minor problems and last year had the full surgery, for about the price you had to pay. Here's what works. First of all, do NOT force him to eat that nasty special food they sell for the condition. They HATE it and your other cat should not be forced to eat it. My black cat was starving himself when I tried to feed it to him. It's nasty.
    Here's what works. They sell a pill that you give them daily and they can eat any food they want to, BUT give them mostly wet food, even chicken table scraps. Be sure to offer fresh water at all times. The name of the pill is METHIO (that's the abbreviation.) He is so used to me popping it in his mouth and actually looks forward to it because he gets a treat afterward. It's 6.00 for a month supply.

15. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

My cat had this, but luckily the medicine worked for her. The vet told me that the crystals were caused by the amount of magnesium in the food. He said Iams was a good food to use, although expensive, not as expensive as the specialty foods. I was using Purina Indoor Cat Food and now I only use Iams.

16. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

My grandmother's cat is fed that cat food that grammy mentioned, but he actually likes it... though, he's a pig who would eat anything if allowed. :p According to my grandmother-- and this could be wrong-- but I guess male cats, after they're neutered, are more susceptible to crystals in their urine.

Anyway, good luck with the kitty-- I hope he's feeling better soon!!

17. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

Wonderful, thanks everyone for the input and ideas. Jakob is now home, and is curled up in a ball under one of our chairs. The vet sent us home with a bag of "Hill's Prescription Diet s/d" ...

I will be taking the advice of all and I really appreciate what everyone has had to share! Baby Jake will be fed a different diet and I'm going to try doing those pills as suggested by Grammy.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

Yea! Give him a scratch from me!

19. KDS

KDS Companion

Mar 19, 2009

hugs to the baby kitty! be really sweet to him...you know how mad he must be (at least Captain was last year...many years ago my other cat {Moon} wouldnt talk to me for three days)

hugs to you to...i know how scary that is!

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 19, 2009

Be careful about the pills. My vet said not to give him the pills AND the prescription diet. They can't have both.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2009

One of our previous cats had feline urinary disease...it's a problem with cats, not necessarily other animals but the symptoms are listed on the following website. I now feed my cats Purina One Urinary Health formula.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/fusfaqs.html

22. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2009

Oh thanks for letting me know I'll definitely talk to my vet about it.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

One important thing is to make sure they drink lots of water, which is a problem, because most animals instinctively don't want to drink standing water in a bowl. I bought mine a water fountain. My sister and mom made fun of it, but he drinks a LOT more water now.

24. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

No you're right though, Jake will sit by the faucet fascinated by it and then drinks it.

P.S. Jake is up and at em' today! He heard me get up and was waiting for me by my computer for food. (Yesterday I had to search for him and found him sleeping in his litter box, :()

Thanks for all the well wishing, I think that's what helped Jake to such a speedy recovery. :hugs:

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

Poor little Jake sleeping in his litter box. After my cat (Eddie) had his surgery, he got an infection. Cats are SO smart. He knew it before me and he did not want to go in his litter box because he had so much bloody urine, so I put puppy pads all around his box. This went on for a few days and talked to the vet and got him some antibiotics, which cleared it all up. It's normal that they have some blood in their urine; but this went on too long. He was a pretty sick kitty, but he is 15 years old so that might have a factor in his healing. I just thought it was interesting that he was smart enough to know that he didn't want that mess in his litter box, which he shares with our other cat.

26. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

It is truly fascinating the understanding some animals have. They are really a blessing to have in our lives.

27. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I agree!