Catholic Schools...Oy vey!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by otiscampbell7, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2006

I knew I liked you!!
    I went to nationals in Extemp as a kid, and coached forensics for 18 years!

2. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 8, 2006

No problem. :p

~

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 8, 2006

I teach at a Catholic school, and we have a number of staff who are not Catholic. They can teach everything but religion. They are expected to live and exhibit the values of the Catholic Church and anyone can (and have been ) fired if they are found to be living in a way contrary to the teachings. This has only happened once to my knowledge and she was pregnant from a live-in boyfriend with kids from a previous marrige. Anyway, you will likely not be asked about your personal life, your contract may include a statememt saying you agree to live in accordance to the Churches moral teachings, and will probably be required or at least strongly encouraged to attended Mass and take part in all the prayers etc. (though not take communion).

4. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 9, 2006

apply anyway

I applied to three Catholic dioceses this spring. In one of the application forms, there was a clause stating that preference is given to practicing Catholics, but you would not be denied a job if you weren't. However that works. They also asked for a letter from my pastor, and all three required that I sign a clause about values and stuff.
    In my experience, it's almost a majority of teachers in Catholic schools who aren't Catholic. In fact, where I will be teaching this fall, I will be one of two CHRISTIAN middle school teachers at a Catholic school - the others are all Jewish and Buddhist. Have no fear - if they need you and you are a good teacher, you will get hired!

5. otiscampbell7

otiscampbell7 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Wow, everyone...Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I got a chance to speak with the school principal, and she was extremely warm and inviting. Later this week, we're going to set up an interview!

The more I've thought about it, the more excited I am. I think it may turn out to be a unique and interesting experience. Hooooray!

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Hey Daisy, what is Jews for Jesus? I'm curious, as I've never heard of it before.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

There really is a group of Jewish people who believe that Jesus was the Messiah. How they can still be Jewish, I don't know.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Maybe they come from the Jewish line of blood, or were once Jewish, and converted to Christianity? Interesting. I guess if they are proud of their Jewish bloodline they may want to still be considered Jewish in some way perhaps.

On a side note, I come from Jewish blood...can I be considered part of that group then?;) :D Thanks for the bit of info. Didn't know about that!:)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2006

Keep in mind Jesus was a Jew as were the first Christians. In fact, Christianity was viewed as a break off group of the Jewish religion.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Correct, but people also have to keep in mind that there is a difference between the Jewish religion and the Jewish heritage/lineage (whatever you want to call it). Jesus was a Jew, but more in the heritage sense. This is what separates the old testament from the new...which I am sure everyone understands.:D

I don't have anything to add to this thread. I enjoyed reading it though.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

Jesus wasn't a Jew in the religious sense? Then what was he, a Chiristian?

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

That's not what I meant. The Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah right? What then, is Jesus not going to believe that himself is not the son of God? This is my point. I should have stated "present day Judaism", sorry for the confusion.

13. otiscampbell7

otiscampbell7 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Well, from a Jewish perspective...

Christianity and Judaism do share a lot, but there are some fundamental differences. None of the four main streams of Judaism accept the idea that the messiah has come.

Jews for Jesus is a mixed group of Jews and Gentiles, some congregations almost entirely Gentile, who practice Judaism to some degree. Neither Christians nor Jews generally claim J4Js, so they're sort of off on their own.

The main beef that Jews have with J4Js is that they sometimes use deceptive practices to convert Jews. For example, they target cultural Jews (bagels and lox-High Holiday folks) and convince them to "return" to their ties. Under the auspices of Judaism, they draw unsuspecting Jews into churches disguised as synagogues.

This is meant to inform, not to upset or offend. As a rule, Jews don't try to convert anyone because we believe that there are many paths to G-d. There is an understanding that human beings have the right to draw themselves closer to G-d however they see fit, and their choices should be respected.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Not offended at all!:) I had never heard of J4J so I was curious. Thanks for the information!

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

Actually, not all Jews are awaiting a messiah, at least in the form of a person. Ask a Reform Jew about it. And among those that are awaiting a messiah, there are considerable differences in belief as to just what that messiah is like.

As far as Jesus goes, from a Christian perspective, if we define being a Jew in the religious sense as following the Law and the Propehts, his actions and claims as documented in the New Testament paint him to be an observant Jew, in fact, the only wholely observant Jew.

But enough of that, I really don't want to get into a religious discourse here...

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

That's ok Malcolm. I enjoy learning:D. I guess I was just looking at it differently than how you were.

17. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 9, 2006

Well you have a Progressive Reformed Jew right here - so you can ask away.

And as for Jews for Jesus - They are as much Jewish as Branch Davidians were Christian. They are considered a wacko fringe cult.

~J

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

That's kind of freaky, and scary about the above.

So, does a reform Jew believe about Jesus dying for our sins then? Or not? Just curious. Not here to debate, just want to learn.:)

19. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Jews differ from one another in what they believe as much as Christians, maybe more so. One could argue that there are as many different types of Judaism as there are Jews. And this would only be natural because Jews have thousands of years of tradition of continually picking part, analyzing and arguing scripture in order to come closer to the true meaning of it. This is very different from many forms of Christianity where adherents have for centuries been told by the powers that be what to belive and risk going to hell if they don't.

Thankfully, the Jews for Jesus don't seem to be quite as wacko as the Branch Davidians. Of course, we don't have Janet Reno around any longer if we actually wanted to find out for sure.

20. otiscampbell7

otiscampbell7 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Hehe...This reminds me of a cute story...

An airplane flying over a deserted island finds a man who had been trapped for years. When the pilot is rescuing the man, he goes looking around the island. The man shows him the synagogue that he built while he was trapped. The pilot looks over to a different area of the island and asks, "Well what's that building?" The deserted man replies, "Oh, that's the other synagogue...Nobody ever goes there!" :D

It's just a cute little point to illustrate that where there are two Jews, there are three opinions on any given matter. This is especially true among Reform Jews.