Catholic school?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by glovie, Jun 19, 2007.

1. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Hi - I just got hired to teach fifth grade in a Catholic school, but I'm not Catholic. I will be expected to teach religion and my class will conduct (is that the right word?) the Mass once a month. Does anyone have any hints on how I can seem like I know what I'm doing?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2007

Call the principal and get a copy of the syllabus for starters.

Then think about calling the rectory of your local Catholic parish. Make an appointment to talk to a priest; he can fill you in on the symbolism and such. Think about stopping in for a mass or two over the summer to see how things work.

Congrats on the job!

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 19, 2007

As for religion class, be sure to look ahead at the curriculum, and if questions come up, make an appointment with a priest or someone else who could answer your questions. Also, if kids ask questions that you're unsure about, it's perfectly fine to refer them to a priest or someone. You can just tell them, "soandso would be able to give you a better answer than I can, so why don't you discuss that with him."

5. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I went to Catholic school and teach in a Catholic school but if you are not Catholic you do not teach theology. My 3rd grade teacher wasn't Catholic and so we switched rooms for theology. The other 3rd grade teacher taught us theology while my teacher taught the other class science.

I would get a copy of the Catechism and invite the priest into to your class for a question and answer session sometime. As far as planning the mass it is pretty simple. The readings are already chosen all you have to do is pick the music, write petitions and assign people to the jobs. Oh, and practice reading them aloud!

6. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for all your ideas! At this school there is only one fifth grade - 36 strong, and they were testing a 37th when I came for my interview. After doing all my volunteering and student teaching in public schools, I'm looking forward to the change.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2007

All good advice....

Just wanted to send congrats your way!

8. glenn

glenn Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Other people have given you excellent advice. I would pick up a book that gives an overview of the faith . Something as basic as Catholic for Dummies would work. Also some great Catholic recourse on the web such as catholic.com A friend of mine was hired by a Catholic school a couple of years ago. She decided to join the Catholic faith after teaching at a Catholic school for two years.

9. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jun 23, 2007

A friend just told me about Catholic for Dummies, too. She got it when she married a Catholic and, although she never officially converted, she now prefers her husband's church to her own. I'll get a copy. Thanks for all your posts!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

Are you teaching about all the big religions or just about Catholic stuff?

11. glovie

glovie Rookie

Jun 24, 2007

From my conversation with the principal, it seems there are two components. One is Catholic religion, which at the fifth grade level stresses the sacraments, and the other is Family Life, which includes the biology of reproduction. I'm going to go in on Tuesday and get a copy of any texts they may be using.
    I know in public school out here, all the major religions are taught in middle school, especially seventh grade, as part of social studies, so I doubt there is any exposure in fifth grade.