Catholic School Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nyjets88, Jul 20, 2015.

1. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 20, 2015

Any advice for specifically a catholic school interview? It's middle school level, I'm certified social studies but I would be teaching that, and religion and science as well. Not really sure what to expect, I was raised catholic, but never went to or have any experience in a catholic school

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

In between my first teaching job and my current one, both public, I taught at a Catholic girls' high school for six years. I am not a particularly religious person, nor am I Catholic but the principal didn't care as long as faculty were competent, good with the kids, and willing to be supportive of the school's mission. It was a pleasant experience with reasonably nice kids and colleagues, and a tight-knit atmosphere. However, the commute was long and the pay was lousy so I moved on.

I'm not sure what to tell you to expect since every school is different whether private, public, or religious. You can definitely expect lots of interruptions of instructional time for various religious activities.

As for the interview, expect some questions to be more personal than what is typical for public school interviews. I was asked a lot about my family, values, and personal life.

4. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 21, 2015

I taught Catholic schools for a while. Just make sure that you don't do anything that contradicts with the Catholic values and you'll be fine....they may ask you if you go to Mass on Sundays, so be prepared

5. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Thank you.

Interview is tomorrow, so we'll see.

6. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

Definitely a different type of interview than my previous interviews. More casual and relaxed, one on one conversation. Whereas my last interview was a 5 person panel, and the first thing they said was "this is a 30 minute interview, we have 17 questions to ask, we'll let you know when there's 5 minutes left."

Some religion questions, asked about my background in the catholic church, asked if I had a favorite verse or favorite saint, which I basically said I didn't. Asked if I was comfortable teaching religion.

He flat out said it's an extremely demanding position, that doesn't pay well, so you'd be using this as a stepping stone to something else.

7. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 22, 2015

I wanna say that if you are teaching religion and you could not come up with a favorite verse or saint, you probably aren't getting the job.

8. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015

I don't know, he wants to set up another interview with the assistant principal. Though he said the religion class might not end up being part of the position because I would already be teaching so many other classes, so it may not be as important.

9. nyjets88

nyjets88 Rookie

Aug 12, 2015

So I decided I wasn't interested in the job and hadn't really thought about it since my interview 3 weeks ago...

Tonight I get a voicemail from the Principal I interviewed with, and he acts like he's never spoken to me before. He introduces himself, tells me what school he's from and where it is, tells me they have a position available and the details (the same position I already interviewed for), mentions he received my information off of apptrack, and to call him back if I am interested.

LOL, how awkward. It doesn't matter since I'm not interested, but if I was what would I even say when I called him back?

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 12, 2015

How funny. I have no idea what I would say.

I once got a rejection email with another persons name, a male and I'm female. I never even interviewed but I had applied for the position. Definitely awkward. I never replied.

11. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 12, 2015

Something like that happened to me for an interview at a Christian school (except about the saints of course).