Catholic school interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Shananigens, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Shananigens

Shananigens Rookie

Jun 4, 2015

I have a catholic school interview tomorrow for a preschool position. Some insight on questions they ask regarding the catholic faith would be great. I went to catholic school from k-12 but I am non practicing and don't belong to a parish. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2015

I was raised Catholic-lite (cafeteria Catholic?) and went to a Catholic college, pretty much by accident. I interviewed at a Catholic school and got the job -- I was asked something like how my spirituality would affect my teaching and I said something about how my desire to teach was rooted in my desire to work for social justice. It sounds corny now, but as an earnest early 20-something, it was heartfelt.

It was a VERY liberal school, and not all teachers were even Catholic, so your experiences may vary!

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2015

Oh and if you get the job and do have to take your kids to Mass, I recommend going to that parish a few times to get the hang of when to stand and kneel, the MO for the sharing of the peace (if they even do that anymore?), etc.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 5, 2015

I was asked if I was okay signing a document that had a lot of things on it that went against the catholic faith. It basically said if I did any of them or talked about agreeing with any of them, I could be terminated. I also asked how I would teach based on the principles of the faith and incorporate it into my lessons.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 5, 2015

I'm a non-catholic teaching in a Catholic school. I love it there, but be advised -- they take the morality clause very seriously. No living with a boyfriend/girlfriend (if it gets out, you would be fired,) no supporting abortion rights or same-sex marriages on Facebook, etc. etc. You have to live up to the requirements of the church. Modest attire is important to us, too.

For me, it wasn't hard -- but for some it is very hard. Many things that are commonplace (like living with a boy/girlfriend outside of marriage) are not seen as setting a good example.

If you are Catholic, but not practicing, they will expect you to become a part of the parish and go to church regularly.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2015

This really depends on the school. I was living with my boyfriend at the time and while I didn't go out of my way to talk about it, my P knew and didn't care. I was a non-practicing Catholic and was never pressured to attend Mass or join the parish outside of school Masses, etc.

We had a teacher (who became the VP) who was openly in a same-sex partnership -- again, she didn't go out of her way to rub it in her kids' faces, but we all knew and in fact, the P advocated for her to be able to put her partner on the Diocese benefits.

Now, this was in San Francisco, but it was a very old parish (the actual Mission Dolores church, in fact!) and it was a conservative community (mostly Latino and African-American). So I believe it can differ greatly depending on the school and the community.

8. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jun 8, 2015

Last year at my catholic school the priest asked the candidates about transfiguration.

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2015

I mean, if you're going to be teaching Religion, I could see the importance of knowing your theology...Which reminds me, at the school I worked at, only teachers who were at least confirmed Catholics were able to teach Religion. I taught Religion to my 8th grade homeroom and occasionally felt unprepared my first year (but no less so than in my other subjects!!). We did a lot of prayer intentions :)

10. renard

renard Companion

Jun 8, 2015

We are asked to give priest referral letters. That being said, the districts here are quite progressive compared to how Catholic schools operate in other areas. Transgender-friendly policies are now in place in even elementary, however the whole same-sex marriage issue is still one man, one woman. We're in a contradictory phase atm.