Catholic School Interview - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by veronicany87, Jul 11, 2015.

1. veronicany87

veronicany87 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

Hey everyone,

I went on an interview at a Catholic School last Monday (the 6th). It's my DREAM school to work in, I've been sending my resume in for over 2 years and finally got an interview. The principle was VERY nice (she's a nun), and she made me feel extremely comfortable. The entire interview lasted for 45 minutes, which is the longest interview I've ever been on. Aside from asking me the standard questions, she also spent a lot of time trying to talk up the school to me. Towards the middle of the interview, she informed me that she had 2 positions opened; one for 2nd grade, and one for 3rd. She asked me which grade I would feel more comfortable teaching in, and I told her that truthfully, I feel comfortable in both grades (I've been subbing for almost 2 years now and I do TRULY like both of those grade levels).

She then made me fill out a pre-employment form, which pretty much just contained a question asking for my social security number, and then a number of standard questions, such as "what are your strengths?". I've never filled out any type of pre-employment form in any other job interview, so I'm not sure if that's a good indicator, or just something she makes everyone fill out during an interview. She also asked me if I would be able to get her a copy of my college transcript; when I asked if it has to be official, she told me unofficial would be fine for now. She didn't specify a date in which I should have it to her, though.

She asked me if she could contact my references, which I told her absolutely. The only problem is, I don't have that many references. As a substitute, I've been in mainly 1 school, and I've also been working in a Children's Museum for the past year so I gave my boss as a reference as well. My lack of references is my only concern.

I felt very confident throughout the entire interview, until the very end when she said, "okay, I have a few more people to interview but I will let you know either way". I took that as a negative, but then, I don't know. People have been telling me that principles need to interview a set amount of people before making their decision, but from reading this board and seeing that many people have gotten offered a position the same day as their interview has me discouraged.

The day after the interview I found a copy of my unofficial transcript, and emailed it to her along wither a thank you note. I have not received a response to that yet. It's been almost a week and I haven't heard back from her at all so obviously I'm starting to get discouraged. As far as I know, she hasn't contacted my references yet either (even though I'm not sure if my current boss would even tell me if she was contacted).

Waiting is hard. I wanted this job so badly, but It's hard not to give up hope. Any insight based on what I specified during the interview would be helpful. Thanks!

3. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

If it's been a week since you last emailed then I would send another email asking about their hiring timeline. It sounds like the interview went well!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 11, 2015

The last part about interviewing more people is what my P says, even when it's a great candidate. We just don't know what will happen always. So don't stress about that part. I'd maybe follow up with a phone call.

5. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 11, 2015

I have had the "we will definitely let you know either way" go both ways. First time I thought for sure I nailed it, and never heard anything. Second time, I thought the P just said it as a courtesy, and I ended up getting an offer.

Hard to say but good luck! I know the waiting game is tough.

6. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015

I only have experience interviewing in public schools so I don't know if it's much different. But it was for openings in either 2nd or 3rd like you. It was in a school I worked in last year and I had already worked with and knew all the staff in the interview. Even after it, they gave me the "we'll let you know either way" line at the end. I got the job that night though and will be in 2nd grade. I know that even after I was offered a job, though, they still were interviewing to fill the rest of the openings. Don't let that line get you down. It is definitely not an indicator of your interview. Since you haven't heard back in a week, it may be ok to follow up. After that, though, I'd just wait it out. They just have to continue with the interview process. I have my fingers crossed that it's you. Keep us updated!

7. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Jul 13, 2015

I work in a Catholic school. My principal is slow to respond to candidates. It is summer and she may not work every day. Also in my school the last step before hire is an interview with the priest. She may be trying to set that up?! I would definitely follow-up with a phone call.

That said I interviewed for my job in June. Heard nothing all of July. She finally called in August to offer me the position. She just didn't work much in July and I wasn't a priority?!

Good luck.

8. veronicany87

veronicany87 Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

Thank you all for your replies, and your advice/insight. I still haven't heard back, and today was officially one week since the interview. I know the process can take awhile, but I pretty much gave up on even hoping for it. I know how badly I wanted it, but I'm sure every other person who interviewed for the position wants it just as badly so.. At least I have my job at the museum that I love, so if I don't get a teaching position this year I plan on going back to school to complete my Master's Degree in September, and continue working at the museum. When It's meant to happen for me, it will happen.

Of course I'll keep you guys informed either way once I get the decision, but I'm just not expecting much.

Thanks again!

9. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Jul 14, 2015

Don't give up! It look about a month and a half for one principal to get back to me in a Catholic school, and although it wasn't to offer me the job, it was to come in again to do a demo lesson. So even though I thought they totally didn't want me, they were just really slow, and were still interested. Another principal took about two to three weeks and I got an offer!

The waiting game is REALLY tough. I was definitely on edge. Just know that things happen that have nothing to do with you, and an offer might still be coming. It sounds like you have a good outlook on things either way. Good luck to you!

10. veronicany87

veronicany87 Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this.. I decided to e-mail the principle to follow up; I was very polite about it, just asked her if she was still in the process of deciding, or if they have already chosen an applicant for the position. She responded very promptly and told me that she was still int he process of deciding, which means I still have hope.

I would think if she already had in her head that she definitely WASN'T choosing me, she would of just told me they had picked someone already? I stress things too much, I know.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and words of encouragement! Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll know one way or another.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2015

Still in the process of deciding doesn't sound promising.:unsure::sorry: I wish you the best and suggest you keep sending resumes out...end of summer openings may arise! Good luck!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 22, 2015

You still have a chance but don't stop applying elsewhere. Good luck!