Catholic/Christian School Pay

Discussion in 'General Education' started by amedinaoh, Apr 10, 2011.

1. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 10, 2011

deleted

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

I'm on Long Island, in the suburbs of NYC.

Admittedly, I've been teaching for 25 years.

But I'm in a Catholic high school and make over twice that.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2011

It really depends on the school and how much money they have. I'm from OH- my mom has worked at a christian school for 15 years and she makes less than 30k. My first year teaching salary is higher than hers. My friend interviewed at a catholic school where the starting salary was 25k. I'm not sure what it would be for someone with more experience, but I assume it would still be quite low.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Apr 10, 2011

I worked through the Diocese of Cleveland for 5 years before I made it into a public school. At one school I ended at around $26,000. At another I was part time (4 days a week) and at $25,000. There are usually tons of posting through the diocese website. Good luck!:D

6. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2011

After 22 years in Christian schools, I made $29K. Our starting public school teachers here make $33K.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 11, 2011

The private school where my friend teaches pays first-year teachers $22,000. Public school teachers in that city start at $33,000.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2011

I LOVED my time in Catholic schools...but with a new home and college looming for my kids, I made the switch to public years ago. My salary increased by 2 1/2 times.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2011

My friend works in a Christian school in Ohio and makes less than 30K.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 11, 2011

I can't get over the pay for private school teachers! I believe I made $45,000 my first year teaching (public school, of course).

11. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 11, 2011

Yes but

#1. As you said, you teach in New York
    #2. You have been teaching for 25 years
    #3. Haven't you posted that you are a department head?

It does not compare.

12. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 11, 2011

This is more like it for a private school. The pay is lower and much lower where I live, they have no unions.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2011

I was a department chair before I quit in 2000 to be a SAHM. When I came back 5 years later, the job was taken. So, no, I'm no longer department chair.

My apologies if my experiences don't count in this discussion. Just curious though-- out of all the other replies in this thread, why just MINE? There are posts from NC, NJ, and CA, and your own from FL, along with a teacher who compared his public school salary. Other posters mentioned 15 and 22 years of experience. Why is my experience any less valid than theirs-- aside from the fact that it doesn't fit the mold of the poor, starving, Catholic school teacher?

And, for what it's worth: since we receive no state funds, we're not looking at any layoffs. We're bursting at the seams and will be hiring (or in some cases already have) to replace some of the staff we've lost this year. And while my school has no union, many of the neighboring Catholic schools do.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2011

...and likewise, I teach in NJ, have been teaching 13 years, have a Masters degree and am in a high paying, high SES district public school...that doesn't make my discussion of public school or private school pay any less relevant either. Schools, both public and private, vary from district to district, state to state. There are professional educators who barely scrape by with public school pay, there are teachers who have a comfortable life on private school pay. You shared what private school is like in your area, tim, but it's not the experience of everyone.

15. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Apr 12, 2011

Here private school teachers make less than public. Back when I was first job hunting in 2003, public school teachers started at 36K and private at about 28K. Neither public nor private have unions here.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 12, 2011

Third year, private Catholic school (not run by any parish/diocese) and I make a little over $40k.

17. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 12, 2011

Wow, it is looking like this would probably not work for me. I struggle with making 34,000 let alone 25,000. Ohio would be a little more affordable compared to Raleigh (everyone thinks it is cheaper living in the south..not always!) but not by 10,000 a year! YIKES!

18. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Apr 12, 2011

The grass is always greener on the other side Amedinaoh. ;)

Maybe you'd like to read this article?

http://privateschool.about.com/od/salaries/qt/salaries.htm

That article also links to this:

http://privateschool.about.com/od/financial/a/form990.htm

Which could be interesting if you want to check out some of the private schools you're thinking about applying to.

Also, click that ISACS link as it has Midwest pay from a few years ago.

19. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 12, 2011

I quoted you because you are the exception and not the norm. In general, the salaries in the northeast (NY, NJ, CT) in both public and private schools are higher than they are here in the south. Also the range of teachers teaching anywhere 20 years or more is significantly higher than first through tenth year teachers.

I am giving the OP a comparison as well as a gauge to go by. I am not trying to pick on anyone but I have seen your particular posts in the past exuding at how well you are compensated. I am thrilled for you and any teacher able to make good money but that is (as represented by most posts in this thread) the exception and not the norm and I want to make sure that that is communicated as such.

I am all about giving teachers and want to be teachers the reality of the entire situation and not paint the pictures of puffy clouds and jelly beans. I admit it may make me sound negative and jaded (which believe it or not I am not) but I believe the truth shall set anyone free.

20. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 12, 2011

Again, you hit the nail on the head. You teach in NJ. Like I said the salaries in the northeast far exceed those here in FL. That is of course at no fault to you but the crappy state government we have here. Teachers with Masters degrees here in some districts do not even break 40K.

21. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 12, 2011

I am happy for you but sometimes feel as if this is rubbing it in my face (I only speak for myself). I may just be too sensitive at this time of uncertainty and layoffs in Florida.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

Alice and I also have a higher COL than MANY in the rest of the United States....it's not all puffy clouds and jelly beans. You may be sensitive due to your uncertainty in your state, but that is NO reason to downplay what others who are not in your situation have to say. Listening to ALL sides actually ..'gives the reality of the entire situation' and THAT my friend is the truth that will set you free...free from a lot of negativity. :2cents:

23. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Apr 13, 2011

This is the problem with a lot of our colleges of education nowadays. There are many that are not painting a realistic portrait of the state of our profession in this country. As a result, there are a lot of fresh, enthusiastic teachers that have an unreal set of expectations for finding a job.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 14, 2011

Just noting too that I live in NJ. My portion of the rent (I live with my fiance and my sister too) is $450 (plus utilities). We make ends meet but we do without a lot of items (I'm still really happy though).

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

But for Alice and others, their experiences are realistic. They're realistic given a certain set of parameters, like geographic location, type of school, years of experience, level of education. I think it's absolutely appropriate for them to share their situations here in this type of thread. It's up to new teachers to to deduce that 25 years experience plus a high level of education plus an area with a higher COL plus any number of other things will translate to a higher salary. New teachers are smart. They'll figure it out.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I've never, ever gotten this impression from Alice, and I'm sorry that you've read her posts this way. I think she is extremely fortunate to work in what sounds like a great school with a supportive admin and some real job security. I appreciate that she shares her stories about those things because it gives me hope that not everything in the world of education is a mess. It's clear from what she tells us that it is absolutely possible for schools, teachers, and students to be successful, and that's a message we all need to hear these days. Rather than feeling resentment or jealousy or whatever other negative feelings you might be having, just try to look at it in a positive way and know that if her school can do it, the rest of our schools can do it too.

27. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2011

I teach in a Catholic school in the deep South and make more than I would if I taught in public school because my principal can actually pay me for more years of experience than I have. Public schools are more limited in that way. I am a product of Catholic schools and so are my children. I really believe in Catholic schools and would not go to public schools if I made twice the salary that I do now. My dd will graduate in May and has really only been looking at Catholic schools to teach in. Salary is not as important as my happiness.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

Colleges are in the business of making money through educating students and awarding degrees...they don't guarantee jobs....there are a lot of fresh enthusiastic accountants, artists, statisticians, engineers, actors, designers as well who are having a hard time finding jobs. No one here would deny that education is a tight, competitive market...even more so in these economic times of uncertainty....there certainly hasn't been any unrealistic portraits painted here...just REAL educators sharing their varied experiences.:2cents:

29. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Apr 15, 2011

Dang...I'm not Catholic, but I may need to get a job at one of the schools! It seems that their schools pay way more!
    I taught my first year in a private school. I maybe $21,400. When I left they tried to tempt me with $23,400. No thanks - especially when the school in my districts pay 40K for newbies. :)

In MOST areas, private schools will pay approximately 1/3 less than a typical private school...atleast this was the statistic I found once upon a time.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

One would hope and pray that a candidate's desire to teach in Catholic schools included a strong basis in faith.:love:

31. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

:thumb: That is so true. Teaching in a Catholic school to me is my vocation in life. I really do not care if I make more or less money because I like teaching at a school where I can bring my faith in every lesson.

32. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Apr 15, 2011

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just wish other faith-based private schools would take as good care of theirs as the Catholic schools do. :) The last school I was in was faith-based adn while I am aligned with what they believe, my poor budget needed far more.
    I was merely joking. Sorry!! :) :blush: