Cataloging Classroom Library Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MrsV, Jun 26, 2007.

1. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 26, 2007

I am trying to set up my classroom library.

I was lucky enough to aquire hundreds of books from different sources.

I was wondering how do you guys catelog your books and keep track of them? I want to start a master list of all the books I have, but I am not very good with excel. I would like to find an easy way to alphabetize it too because I do not have time to go through all the books and put them in alphabetical order.

Are there any programs that would work better than excel? How did you do it?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

You could try MS Access, but it's no easier than Excel. Once you get it set up, though, it's good for rearranging the lists by author or title or subject without compromising the list itself.

You could set up a plain table in MS Word, which is probably what I'll be doing for my own books next year.

As far as organizing them alphabetically or whatever, I'm probably going to categorize them by subject (target language, culture, anthologies, lexicons, etc.), and then alpha by author from there. It's going to take some time, I know, but I think it will be good in the end.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 26, 2007

Actually, if you set up the spreadsheet right in Excel, you can sort them by whatever criteria you want, as long as it has its own column (Author's Last Name, Genre, Title, Subject, etc.).

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2007

I must be doing something wrong then because every time I try it, it sorts the column I've selected, but it leaves the rest of the spreadsheet alone! The end result is that the new column doesn't match up with the other info.

6. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 26, 2007

You have to select the entire data sheet, then sort it by the column you want.

8. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 26, 2007

I catalogued my books this year. I made a table in word and then discovered you could alphabetize them after you put all your titles/Author info in. You go to the table menu and look for sort, then you can sort the table by title or author or whatever. Hope this helps

9. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

I have not had any luck with arranging my books alphabetically, and I've tried it several ways, by title, by author, etc. I never could find what I needed (like books that dealt with plants, for instance, when I was teaching life cycles.) I finally decided I didn't really need to have a list of my books, just an organization format.

This is the only method that works for me:

Arrange your read-aloud books thematically, in alphabetical order, on the shelves. For example, I have a section divider: ANIMALS, with subsections: Arctic Animals, Bears, Birds, Cats, Dinosaurs, Dogs, etc. I do sections for well-known authors, such as Eric Carle or Dr. Seuss, even though I might use their books in thematic units (like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", which could be used in a Bear unit, or in a Five Senses unit). I use file folders for the section dividers, cardstock for the subsections. You just need to figure out what thematic sections make sense with your curriculum.

Good luck!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jun 26, 2007

I started making a master list recently, but I'm just using tables in Word. I am scrolling down to see where each book fits, and I make a new row every time. It's not too bad. But... Excel isn't the worst, either. Besides that, I am pondering on whether I will seperate books by categories within the fiction and non-fiction areas of my library this coming year.

11. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 26, 2007

I made one in MS Access... I like to do things to the extreme, so I had columns for author, title, theme, subject 1, subject 2, literacy focus 1, literacy focus 2, genre, storage bin, etc. It was a bit painstaking to actually log in all of my books, but very handy when I wanted to find a great picture book that would do well with teaching a lesson on sequencing, for example. I would sort the literacy focus column alphabetically and then check the books that matched. Then I would just check the storage bin column and go get it!
    Unfortunately, I did all that on my very cranky old laptop (I had dropped it down a flight of 14 stairs, and it was just never the same!) and the file was "corrupted" when I tried e-mailing it to myself on another computer.

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 27, 2007

I highly recommend Library Thing for cataloging your classroom books. It's a free on-line service that I first heard about here at A-Z. You just enter the ISBN number or title and it instantly logs your book. You can also tag your books by genre, theme or whatever and it will also sort them by author and title for you, you can view them by cover too if you're a visual person like me. It's a really cool website.

13. MrsV

MrsV Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Thank you! This is an awesome program!

14. shouts

shouts Companion

Jun 27, 2007

This thread is DISGUSTING :) That's a lot of time to enter all those books! over 2000!

Super teacher alert...

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2007

OOoooh, very neat. I can't wait to get started!