cat lovers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by njteach41, May 30, 2011.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

I don't give mine milk, and only Missy likes people food. She craves cold cuts (too salty, I know) and any kind of meat. Not fish, much. I get Friskies wet food and the two of them share one can a day. They love the tiny treasures type.

Those are very strange foods for a cat, Christy. I should go back to PetSupermarket. Yes, I got some good coupons and have the membership, too.

Grammy, that sure sounds like a fun game you play with Redman. He's got you trained real well.

Scooter, you became a 3-ct family pretty quickly. It must be sweet with the little ones.

Mmswm, is Booger 'infamous'?

It took me an hour to set up this cat activity thing and one plastic connector is missing. Grrrrrrr.

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

Daisy, he's infamous and famous all at the same time. His antics are well known, but everybody loves him anyway. Who can resist 17lbs of fluffy orange kitty????? It does help that he'll let just about anybody pet him and the best place to sleep, if you ask him, is the feet of somebody he's just met.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

mm, Redman is a big orange fluffy guy, too and it sounds like he has the same personality as your Booger. He even weighs between 15-17# ! and everyone just loves him because he is so sweet and friendly, laying on his back in front of people is his favorite pose.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2011

My BF's mom's 16-yr old indoor cat named Frida, got out of the house recently. His mom thought she was gone forever, but Frida returned 8 days later!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2011

I have five cats. Two are recent additions and were wild when my dad brought them to me. They live outside in the shop and backyard as hunters. Dad brought them after rats chewed $600 worth of wires in my car this winter.

My three indoor cats love each other and sleep in a pile most of the time. Two are litter mates I adopted from Petsmart. The shelter workers had named them Boscoe and Bailey and I never came up with other names. The other cat was adopted with a litter mate, but Ernie developed cancer. Bert mourned him for months. Or perhaps he just recognized my grief.

Bailey loves to sit on the side of the tub during bubble baths and swat at my hand so I'll pet her. She loves to sleep on my side or my feet. When a cat is snuggled against you or on you, it's even harder to get out of bed!

Boscoe is known for giving hugs. If he is in the mood to hug you, you had better let him because he is not going to give up until he has his way. He also likes to sleep on top of the kitchen cabinets.

Bert chirps at bugs and will chase wasps when they get in the house. He sleeps on his back with his front paws facing right and his back paws facing left. He is my biggest cat and has the whiniest voice. He'll fuss at me in the morning and race ahead of me to the bathroom, jump up on the sink, and start rubbing his head on the faucet. If it takes me too long to turn the faucet on, he will meow at me. I imagine he thinks he is chewing me out pretty good. He has taught Boscoe to do this too so I've got two wanting a drink this way. (They do have a water fountain to drink out of so that is not the only drink they get.)

It's amazing how different their personalities are, and how deeply we grieve when they are gone. It's been two years since Ernie died and I still think of him often. My 23 year old cat suffered a stroke in December and I miss him as well even though I knew the end was coming.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

teacherintexas, I loved reading about your cats, all with different personalities. Bert reminds me of my big Redman with the love for faucet drinking.
    When getting ready for work in the morning, Red jumps on the table next to the sink, in position for me to turn it on. When he finishes there, he jumps in the bathtub and I turn that faucet on, he leaves and I turn it off...then he comes back in and waits for me to turn it on again. This goes on all morning and I am his slave for drinks.

7. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 5, 2011

yeah... i think we are going to hold off on getting penny a companion for now :( i'm too afraid of her reaction and/or changing.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 5, 2011

Bert loves weekends and the summer when I am his slave for drinks (and belly rubs) too.

9. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 5, 2011

No worries...they have all been fixed for over 6 months now. Mama kitty was scheduled to get fixed when she went off and got pregnant. The vet volunteered to "take care of it", but we just couldn't do that.

I do enjoy their different personalities. One loves to purr and rub against you, but hates being picked up. One loves to cuddle, but only with me...she growls when my husband tries to hold her. The mama is a real sweet heart...but is very sassy with the kitties...she is moody in the mornings and growls, hisses, snaps if they come near her. Course, now that they're a year old, they're actually both bigger than she is (she's a very petite thing).

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 5, 2011

Lizzie just ran me out of my chair (or I guess I should say her chair). I am fighting a virus on my laptop and waiting for a scan. She jumped up beside me, snuggled for a minute, then climbed behind me and literally started pushing. She's now stretched out sleeping. *shakes head* I am reminded daily that I'm here to scoop the litterbox and the food! lol

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

scooter, I love responsible pet owners. I wish more people were.
    Christy. so cute with the chair! Pushing you out of the chair is hilarious!
    Eddie stares at me when I'm at the computer because he wants this chair and I do give it to him! He's sleeping in the living room now so I think I'm safe.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 5, 2011

Molly is sitting here all proud of herself. Surrounding her are the contents of a bag of treats. She had to break into an upper cabinet to get them. When Whisker Lickings are involved, there's nothing that can stop her.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2011

Hahaha mischief ... Redman is sitting here waiting for me to go to bed. He won't go until I do.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 5, 2011

Grammy, the funny this is that Molly is the most docile, laid back cat that's ever lived. She's been as well behaved as Queen Elizabeth II since she was a kitten. The ONLY times she gets mischievous is when it comes to hunting down and stealing Whisker Lickings cat treats.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

Hunting...has she ever brought you a mouse? They are always so proud to bring you such a gift! He hasn't brought in anything this summer so far...we have a kitty door.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2011

I learned quickly that if I buy treats, food, dog treats, etc, I can't just lay that bag down, I have to empty it right away, she will shred anything to get to the food.
    By the way, she LOVES to hunt, even if she's 100% inside. I always have an abundance of green anoles (lizards) and she adores it when they get inside. She doesn't eat them, but she will stalk and hunt them, and then leave the carcass for me to find (she's taken to hiding them on my bed lately.)

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2011

We had an outdoor cat that was a Tom. He would only come around every once in awhile, but when he did he would want in. He would always surprise my mom by bringing her mice or lizards at her back door.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 6, 2011

At my old house, we found: momma bird and two babies, an owl (small), a seagull (large), a raccoon's tail, and mice. It was ridiculous.

mm - maybe you could put the treats in the refrigerator.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 6, 2011

That's some seriuos hunting, Daisy! :D

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 6, 2011

My first kitty, an orange and white cat named Bam Bamm I got for my fifth birthday and lived 22 years, would hunt in a pasture close to my house and would bring back rats that were so large he'd have to straddle them as he pulled them to the front porch. We had a screen porch and he'd put his claws into it and "pop" the screen door open so we'd come see what was going on. He always preened and rubbed on the door until he heard his required quota of "good kitty" and then he'd go off and leave his treasure by the door.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2011

Those are quite the hunting stories! Eddie was known for catching squirrels...now ya gotta be mighty to catch a squirrel.
    When I was a kid we had a cat that would bring grass snakes and would strut up with them wiggling out both sides of his mouth. Of course he wouldn't eat those, just let them go.

22. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

Wanted to bump this up. I have a brother and sister. Tripp and Winnie. Tripp goes by Budha. He has been placed on a portion control diet. I realized today that they do not travel well in a car. I took them to the vet this morning and pick them up 30 minutes ago. Between the two of them, I have seen/heard enough poop, vomit, and yowling. My kittens felt like I was just killing them because they were forced to be in carriers. They are fine now. When I figure out how to put pictures up, I will show them to all of you. Tripp is a orange tabby with white stomach. Winnie is a orange creme color.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

lol I'm sure the poor babies thought that their world was ending! I have to put Lizzie in the bathroom before getting her crate out and ready. She goes into hiding she sees it! lol

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2011

Funny about hiding when they see the crate. Mine take off, too so I can't let them hear me bringing it upstairs. Once we're at the vets, they come out and prowl all over the office while waiting.
    I've never posted pics, except for my avatar is Redman.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

The nurse at the vet is afraid of Lizzie, so I have to hold her there. She's definitely not an explorer while there. She hunkers down and dares them to take her temperature. (She's never tried to bite them, but she growls and hisses like a wild cat. Oh yeah , and the fact that she's almost 22 pounds - so she's not tiny! lol)

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

The pictures I post are ones I have uploaded to photobucket. When you open your picture there, one of the link options is the one to post with url of your picture [/ img] (without those spaces). Just paste that in your post and the picture will show. Just make sure you have resized it to be smaller.

[quote="maya5250, post: 1453523"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Wanted to bump this up. I have a brother and sister. Tripp and Winnie. Tripp goes by Budha. He has been placed on a portion control diet. I realized today that they do not travel well in a car. I took them to the vet this morning and pick them up 30 minutes ago. Between the two of them, I have seen/heard enough poop, vomit, and yowling. My kittens felt like I was just killing them because they were forced to be in carriers. They are fine now. When I figure out how to put pictures up, I will show them to all of you. Tripp is a orange tabby with white stomach. Winnie is a orange creme color.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2011

Maybe Buddy can teach them to love their crates:

[​IMG]

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

lol how cute!! That's so not Lizzie. When I have her at my parents (when I have to go out of town), I will be on the sun porch with the door closed and open her crate. When I go in, she is under their bed, in the center, as far back as she can go! lol Now I could bring in a cardboard box and put her in there, no problem! :rolleyes:

29. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

30. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

How cute, maya. Made me dizzy, though! How old are they?

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

I leave the cat carriers in the middle of the living room. The cats love to hide in them. Maybe because I leave them down all the time, I don't have the issues most people have.

Cute cat pictures :)

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 14, 2011

34. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jun 14, 2011

They are both one year old now.

35. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 14, 2011

:toofunny: That was hilarious! I swear I could hear the person filming her laughing, so I'm betting fake, but it was brilliant!

36. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 17, 2011

Here's a question for fellow cat owners:

The little that ends up outside of the kitty box when they jump out. How do you stop it? Do any of those mats really work? Good old fashioned sweeping?

37. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 17, 2011

Oh yea, here is a picture of the new kitten, Maelyn, that I took this weekend....she's up to no good :)

[​IMG]

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 17, 2011

She is absolutely adorable.

I vacuum up the scattered litter, though I don't like doing that.

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

I have two pans in the basement and one upstairs. I sweep it up as needed.
    Your kitty is just adorable!!! Being cute and naughty as she should be.

40. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Jun 17, 2011

Thanks, it's hard to get a good picture of her...I was laughing when I took the one above. She's definitely a character and totally spring loaded.

I'll just sweep it up as need be, the kitty box will be in the bathroom at the new apartment. I was looking at all the mats they sell just for the outside of the cat box, but I can't spend $20 on a piece of rubber, lol!