cat lovers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by njteach41, May 30, 2011.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2011

Here's him helping wrap presents:
    [​IMG]

Here's one of his fav positions:
    [​IMG]

You can see that he REALLY likes him:
    [​IMG]

2. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

Awe! He is adorable! I love the last one with the dog! :)

3. smalltowngal

Jun 2, 2011

Thanks, Christy. He was my baby before I had a baby.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

He is very handsome, STG.

Lizzie looks perfectly comfortable on that chair, Christy. You wouldn't even think of sitting there, would you?

Kinx doesn't mean anything. He is the brother of a dog, Kyla, which also doesn't mean anything. (Both name by my DD who doesn't want to be ordinary, I guess. She hates all the names I've given our pets in the past: Molly, Sugar, Honey, Lacey ....)

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 2, 2011

We adopted a cat for a week until we found the owners. I loved this cat! My kids called her kitty kat but I called her Chatty Cathy. Literally the entire time you pet her, she talks. From one chatty cathy to the next, I found this particularly endearing.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

These are all such great stories! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only crazy.
    Smalltown, it is impossible to wrap Christmas presents with Redman trying attack and kill the bows.
    Christy, your cat looks so self righteous sleeping in that chair!
    Daisy, from yours falling off the bed to sleeping on the placemats is hilarious!
    Who do these cats think they are anyway???

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

Oh and Christy, the apron sounds great!!!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

So, I got home from work tonight totally exhausted and threw myself on the couch. Withing seconds, I had four cats laying on top of me somewhere. I tried to get the boys to take a picture, but they took too long finding my phone, and the fire alarm went off and scared all the cats. Drats.

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2011

mm, a cat or two sleeping on my stomach is Heaven for me! They never seem to stay long enough or the stupid phone rings or something.
    When I get home from work, Redman comes running and follows me. If I sit down (even on the toilet!) he waits for me to pick him up, lay him on his back, and I have to scratch him under his arms! Yeah, his armpits!!!

10. smalltowngal

Jun 2, 2011

Grammy~that's funny!! Over the years, my cat hasn't wanted to snuggle with me. I cherish the times he cuddles up to me now.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

Molly is my dedicated lap cat. If I'm sitting, she's generally on my lap. If I'm not sitting, she's following me around yelling at me to sit down so she can occupy my lap.

A cat or two IS nice, but 4 is a bit smothering :lol:

12. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 2, 2011

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

A few years ago Lizzie decided that she did want to sleep snuggled up. She sits and waits for me to wake up and pet her, then she starts pawing at the blankets. I lift them up and she crawls under. She goes all the way to my feet, rubs on my legs for a few minutes, licks on them a few times (I have no idea what that's about!), then turns around and climbs back up. She stretches out and tucks just her face outside of the sheet and stretches out beside me. She'll sleep that way for hours.
    Oh and Grammy and Daisy, no, I have to admit, when she's sleeping like that, I just go sit somewhere else. (I'm well trained! lol)

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 2, 2011

15. smalltowngal

Jun 2, 2011

Christy~my lil dog does that! He's the one in the last pic with my cat. Bud HATES the dog!

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 2, 2011

I have to get in on this thread !! THanks for starting it :)

MMSWM, those pics are great. My best cat ever, I miss him to bits, was Pumpkin. He was an orange striped cat with a beautiful pattern on his coat. Dark rust stripes. I miss him so much. He was enormous, and when he lay down, he looked like a basketball. He died in 2009.

My last cat died on Sunday. She unexpectedly and (thankfully) quickly passed from an apparent heart failure. Bebe was black and shiny and bipolar (not really). SHe'd be getting her love and suddenly turn and attack the hand that pet her. It is so strange to put something on my bed and not have to check to see if she is hiding in there. I hate it. No belly to rub, no purring to soothe tensions.

No more cats for me for awhile. I love all the stories and pictures though. I've never NOT had a cat or two or three!

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

[​IMG]

Here's Pumpkin...

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 3, 2011

PUMPKIN is a good name for that cat. It's both an endearing name people use and aptly describes how pumpkin looks. Genius.

19. njteach41

Jun 3, 2011

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 3, 2011

Teachershelly, Pumking is a beauty! I am so sorry to hear about BeBe. Lizzie has become so engrained in my life, I can't imagine not having her here.

21. njteach41

Jun 3, 2011

I have a little dilemma. For the passed 6 months I have wanted to get Penny a companion. I will be home for the summer and thought that would be the time to do it. Penny is EXTREMELY attached to me and my fiance, and is like our shadow. She is also the best cat we have ever head and her personality is amazing. My fear is if I bring in another cat her personality might change. She may get offended, or will not get along with the other cat. I was told a kitten would be a good option... but I still fear her personality will change and that is the last thing I want to do. Any thoughts on this?

22. smalltowngal

Jun 3, 2011

Well, my cat's personality changed after we had a baby and after we brought home a pup.

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 3, 2011

I guess I've never introduced my cats properly or something, because I have never had several cats who got along well. I always wanted to have cats that lounged on each other and played, but it hasn't worked out that way. Instead, I've gotten ones that won't be in the same room together, hiss at each other, hid under the bed and won't come out when the other is around, a dominant one and a more submissive one...

They say to keep them in separate rooms for a bit, then in separate areas where they can see and smell each other but can't get right next to each other, then bring them together with you there for just a few minutes, then move along gradually. So that would take a lot of time and attention. This might be the time to try it, njteach.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2011

njteach, I have two male cats. For some reason, I've almost always had male cats. One of them is always dominant, but they have tolerated one another o.k.
    Years ago, when I only had Eddie (the old black male,) I decided to get him a companion. I got a tiny white kitten and it was just so great. Eddie acted like his mommy. He washed him till that white fur was just plastered and soaking wet, especially his head. Eddie has a very long tail and would sit on the back of the couch, letting his tail hang over the back so the little one could play with his tail.
    I had taken in adult male strays a couple of times and Eddie did not like them at all.
    When I got the little kitten, Eddie ignored him and I have photos of the little one sneaking up to lay and sleep by Eddie. He would slowly inch his way closer and closer to see what Eddie would do. When he finally felt safe, he would cuddle up with him.

25. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 3, 2011

Thanks for the compliments on my kitty - it makes my heart swell.

Regarding a companion cat, it sometimes works but sometimes is a disaster. Pumpkin seemed lonely so we got Bebe. He kind of turned her into his cat, being an alpha cat to her. She was not socialized very well into our human family.

I hope things go well whatever you decide!

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 3, 2011

I have no idea what I do, but I've never had issues with cats getting along, and having done cat rescue most of my adult life, I've dealt with a LOT of cats. I do know that I respect each of their personalities, and give them whatever they need. In some cases, that means carving out space just for one cat, if that cat is a loner or just doesn't get along with somebody else. My house is pretty cat friendly, so in general, if there's something a cat needs, or some little personality quirk, I probably have toy or piece of cat furniture to suit it.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

Redman went out for his morning stroll around the yard and pond. He came back with a a stick hanging off one whisker and cob webs on his head! He loved the warm wash cloth I used to clean him off. He looked so silly...

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

Hahahaha. What a visual!

I picked up a climbing thing with scratching post on it at Target. It's not that big, it's portable, and it was $20.

My house is full of cat hair and I'm waiting for my daughter to vacuum. That might happen.

Does anyone here not buy expensive cat food?

29. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011

Daisy, I have to give a warning to everyone (you reminded me with the food question.

IAMS is NOT a good cat food! It was, before Proctor & Gamble bought them and changed the formula to use cheap corn products. Cats eating IAMS can lose weight because they can't digest corn well at all! I'm talking all of the versions, not only the weight control one.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

I use Purina Cat Chow, indoor formula. My cats have always been very healthy. If I have a very sick, underweight rescue cat, or I'm weaning bottle babies, then I'll use Blue Buffalo, but that's the only time I use expensive stuff.

31. smalltowngal

Jun 4, 2011

I use meow mix, but I'm now looking at other brands because I just now heard about the corn rule (don't get anything where corn is in the top three ingrediants).

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

Right, which basically means the expensive stuff. I've been using Purina One and Beneful.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2011

I've had 2 cats in my life...a mother & daughter named Midnight & Pumpkin. I liked them & they were cute, but I'm more a dog person!

34. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

I use the Nutro Natural Choice. Lizzie is large - - - very large, so I need a weight control for her, but she has a very sensitive stomach. I've tried all the other expensive ones and they tear her up (which leads to nasty accidents and litterboxes). I stood in the aisle at Petsmart a few months ago, looking at them all and trying to figure it out. One of their workers came up and talked to me about which one to use. She suggested this one because her own cat eats it. (Not the weight control, but the brand.) It was pricey, but she gave me a coupon and my PetPerks gave me a discount. The bag lasted just over a month and in that month they changed the kibble size and bag. It has taken me a while to find it again, so I'm hoping that's the only thing that chnaged.

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

My neighbors just returned Booger. Again. The whole building knows who belongs to that cat. Ugh.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

I buy Purina dry food. They get wet food twice a day and that is so expensive. They like the little orange cartons of meow turkey and I get Whiska's in the little packages. I also give them all the people meat they will eat (chicken is their favorite and a bit of beef roast.)
    They like sour cream and just a very tiny bit of milk. Eddie likes the sauce from baked beans. No, they are NOT spoiled.

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

I have one of those climbing post from Wal Mart in the basement. When I go down to do laundry, Redman races up to the top shelf and waits for me to throw big rubber bands at him so he can catch them (or not) then I have to pick them up...I get a good work out and he sits there waiting for me to throw...it's cute when he catches one in his paws.

38. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 4, 2011

Food question

I'm a fairly new cat lover. My kittens just turned 1!! We've had the mama only a year and a half. She's an adorable gray tiger with green eyes. We got her from a coworker to be an "outdoor" cat to help with mice, and turned sucker and let her indoors. Then she went and got pregnant on us, and we now have the two "kittens". They are both black. Very black. We couldn't agree which one to keep, so we went from being "dog people" to having three cats...who all sleep on the bed (or in the case of one...under the covers next to me).

Here's my food question...what people food do you give your cats? We've only ever given them chicken or turkey.

39. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 4, 2011

lol Lizzie has some odd favorites. She loves bacon and is under my feet any time I brown ground beef. Those I expect, but she ADORES salsa. She also loves peaches, watermelon, and canteloupe. I drink a lot of Sobe waters, but If I open the mango one she will literally climb up me and try to stick her nose in the opening! I really don't feed her people food often, a few of these have been me holding something down to "prove" to her that she doesn't want what I have. She does love cheese, but considering the fact that she throws up within a few minutes of eating it, I'm going to say she is probably lactose intolerant. (She doesn't care for milk.)

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2011

scooter, love how your cats have moved in with you! They have a way of doing that. Do you have a spay/neuter clinic in your area? You might want to find out and get all your kitties "fixed" or you may end up with like 15 in your bed! These services are cheaper than a vet and can be found through your local animal shelters, etc.