cat lovers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by njteach41, May 30, 2011.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

May 30, 2011

Hey all you cat lovers. I'm obsessed with my cat and just love cats so much. I think cats are the most interesting animals, and are just so fun and entertaining to have in your life. Does anyone else feel this way?

Let's post what kind of cat(s) we have, and anything you would like to share about them.

I have a 3 year old Ocicat named Penny.. and my fiance has taught her how to play fetch. We can throw something 20,30,40 times and she will bring it back.

If your interested in some light and funny reading, I have created a blog about my cat... http://pennythepurrfect.blogspot.com/

Let me know what you think about the blog... I'm always curious if anyone is reading that thing.

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 30, 2011

Hilarous!! I love it.

We have two cats, a male named Mittens and a fluffy female called Misty but most of the times we call her fluffy thing. They brought so much joy to our lives and have helped tremendously to unite our blended family.

I greatly enjoyed reading your blog. My kids greatly enjoy when I talk pretending to be Mittens. I say things such as "I want my 3-D TV on (window). I'm going to show this to my daughter as I know she will enjoy it.

4. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

May 30, 2011

We have 2 cats. The first is a half breed siamese named Zoe and she is 17. The second is a 4 yr old tabby named Tsunami---let's just say that his name fits him very well!! They pretend that they dont like each other until it starts thundering:D

5. njteach41

May 30, 2011

Tsunami... i love it! i call penny the tasmanian devil or the wrecking ball from time to time.

marci07 thanks so much for the blog compliment!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

I have a 9 year old torbie (mix between tortie and tabby). She's my first inside cat and has taught me a lot! I joke that I'm glad she still lets me live here! lol Because of where I live I won't get a dog (no fence and right by a busy highway). I love that Lizzie greets me at the door when I come home. She definitely has a LOUD personality! She adopted me at Petsmart. I was just looking at the cats (for the millionth time) wishing. She climbed the wall of her cage, reached through, grabbed my hand, and pulled it in to rub her head against it. I was caught and had to bring her home. Here she is. This isn't the best picture, but you can see the tabby stripes on her hindquarters. The 2nd picture is one of my favorites of her. That's how she likes to lay on you, just walks up and collapses, lol.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Your cats all sound precious. What a story about how yours adopted you, Christy!
    I have two cats. The older one is 15 and she recently became blind. She is a very plump tortoise shell cat named Missy. She was a shelter kitten. The younger one is 5 and he rules the roost. He is solid black with long fur - just gorgeous. His name is Kinx. He is my alarm clock and very persistent when it is time to get up and cater to him. He was an outdoor-semi-wild kitten when my daughter brought him home. I love his black nose, and his green eyes.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

I love Penny's blog. Thanks for sharing. I'll continue to read it.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

What is an Ocicet?

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

Daisy, it must be a toritie thing for the weight. Lizzie is . . . pleasantly plump! lol How is Missy adjusting to the blindness?

Love the blog, by the way! It's hilarious!
    Oh and I looked up the Ocicat, it's gorgeous!
    http://fanciers.com/breed-faqs/ocicat-faq.html

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Ooh, an orange one. I've never had an orange cat out of all the many cats I've owned.

Do you think it is a tortie thing? Hmmmm. Never thought of that. She is having a hard time with the blindness but it has had an unexpected side effect. She's no longer nervous about the other animals because she never knows where they are. She does fall off furniture sometimes and walks into things. She needs more practice...

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2011

I have 2 cats, Lola and Sophie. Lola just cost me $297 at the vet Saturday :( She's HIGHLY allergic to fleas, and she was losing fur like mad and had nickle-sized scabs on her neck, poor baby. She needed some steroids, and antibiotic, some special wash, and of course more flea medicine. She's slowly feeling better, I think.

Poor Lola has had flea problems since day one! That's actually why I adopted her! She was born in a shelter, and the last to be adopted. She looked pitiful in her cage, so I took her out. She was purring, lovable, and licking me all over. She melted my heart :love:

We've been battling fleas for a whole year now, but she's one happy girl. She lever leaves my side.

13. njteach41

May 30, 2011

ChristyF.... Lizzie is so so cute, she sounds like such a great cat.

An ocicat was bred to like like the wild animal ocelot. It's a mix of Siamese, Abyssinian, and American Short Hair. We have a vets office across the street and 2 years ago we went to get a kitten. They ran out of kittens, and said they had older cats. We saw her and she was trying to grab the cats tail from the next cage over. They let me hold her and she was rubbing her face into my chest and neck being so so cute and affectionate and I fell in love and we had to get her. When we got her we had no idea she was an ocicat until i looked at the pet adoption paper and then looked up the breed.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Pets 006.jpg (41.5 KB)
    Pets 001.jpg (27.3 KB)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  15. njteach41

May 30, 2011

adorable upsadaisy!! :) such cuties

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

Daisy, I'm glad there is a silver lining for her, but it's sad that she's struggling.
    Pisces_fish, I hope Lola gets better soon!!
    njteach, it sounds like she picked you! :)

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

Daisy, they are both adorable! They look like they lead such hard lives! ;)

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Yeah, my daughter is a vet tech and I just asked her. She said she thought they were 'wild', so she was on the right track. Just beautiful.

Pisces, we just started a problem with fleas about 6 weeks ago. Never had them before. We ran out of the dog's Frontline and bam! They were on her in a heartbeat. Anyway, we treated twice with Frontline Plus which didn't completely work so I just ordered Capstar pills. That should kill the fleas on all 3 pets. I order from www.PetRX.com .

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Thank you ladies. Oh, yes, they are just slaving away. It is sad to see Missy look confused when she bumps into something. Breaks my heart. Otherwise, though, she's fine. In his picture, Kinx is on the dining room table where he doesn't belong.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

I have four cats right now, though I've done cat rescue my whole adult life, so I've had a lot of cats come through my home.

Here's Booger, my oldest cat:

[​IMG]

I also have Sally and Molly, two peach kitties who are about a year old, and Nermal, a little grey kitten who walked into my living room a few weeks ago and refuses to leave.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

Booger is a riot. You must have a lot of fun at your house, mm. Are all of them indoor/outdoor cats?

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

lol Daisy, Lizzie likes to get up there, too. Apparently the best places to sleep are the ones they aren't supposed to be on!
    mmswm, he is gorgeous!!! (I love the name, too, it definitely paints a picture of his personality!)

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

They're all indoor cats, though Booger is not happy about that. He constantly tries to escape. Every once in a while, Nermal pokes his head outside, but I think he's decided that he prefers the inside where it's warm and dry and there's plenty of food all the time. Molly doesn't want to be anywhere there isn't a nice warm lap to sleep on and Sally doesn't want to be anywhere William isn't.

And yes, they do provide hours of amusement. :)

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

Christy, I have several other pictures of all of them on facebook. There's one of him laying on my kitchen floor that caused TeacherGroupie to nickname him "bathmat-with-ears".

25. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 30, 2011

Is there a way to turn my cat into an outdoor/indoor cat? He's an indoor cat and I kind of want him outdoors sometimes.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2011

We have one rescued feral that we got when he was a kitten. His name is Boo Radley and he is so spoiled. He has my husband wrapped around his finger...follows DH everywhere around the house.

We have an older cat named Cleopatra...she is long haired, has a stumpy tail and little short legs. She is a bit of a diva.

We have kitty love for both:love:...although they really don't like each other.

27. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

Marci, my aunt had a cat named Missy (white, long-hair) that she would put on a leash that was staked in the ground. Missy would stay outside for an hour or so each day.

28. njteach41

May 30, 2011

they actually sell cat harnesses to put on the cat with the leash attached. the only thing is you have to stay out there with them, they can get tangled pretty easily. but its a great way for them to get some fresh air and enjoy outside.

http://pennythepurrfect.blogspot.com/

29. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

A friend of mine converted her back porch to an outdoor cat area. The patio area is about 12 X 14 feet, totally screened in, and built with trees and grassy areas and all sorts of kitty wonderland attractions. Her cats will spend days out there without ever wanting to come in, and they're perfectly safe from the dangers of the "real" outside.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2011

My patio is on the second floor and Kinx stays out there for hours. He 'hunts' lizards and such though he is frustrated by the screen. And, unfortunately, there are big claw marks in the screen. But, he's safe and in the hot, humid air which he apparently likes. He got out a few times and was hit by a car once. We have to beat him to the door sometimes.

31. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 30, 2011

My boyfriend and I have 2 cats now.

We adopted Elroy through Petsmart a few months ago. We weren't in there for a cat, or planning on a cat, but we couldn't leave him there! He is a blacka nd white tuxedo...I think he's got some siamese in him somewhere, he is super vocal!

Then, just this weekend, I picked up the newest addition. We adopted a 3month old kitten from a local rescue. Her name is Maelyn (a combination of our names :) ) and she is a spitfire! We have spent so much on cat toys this weekend just to keep her entertained. The first night at my boyfriends apartment, she crawled all over him, licked his face, laid on his head, chewed on his earring (and took the ball out). I just adore her :)

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2011

Lizzie has had a couple of trips out on a leash when I first got her. They involved me packing her outside (because the second the leash was snapped on, she laid down), putting her on the grass, and her hunkering down refusing to move. Then, we had one vet visit where she panicked when nearby truck started, got out of her leash, and spent 6 or so hours lost in the woods. She doesn't even stick her head out of the door anymore!

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 30, 2011

I have 2 cats: Baby and Opie.

Baby is a 5-year-old Calico. I got her from a shelter when she was 10 months old. I have heard that Calico cats seem to have more of a temper, and that couldn't be more true! She is VERY moody and likes to be left alone. But other times, she wants attention so badly.

Opie is awesome. He is almost 3. He was taken to the shelter when he was 6 weeks old, and spent the next 8 months there. :( He is while with some random black markings...I don't know why anyone didn't want him. He is the absolute sweetest/most loving cat I have ever met.

34. njteach41

May 30, 2011

I absolutely LOVE tuxedo cats. My parents cat, the one I grew up with is a tuxedo. I have to stay away from petsmart, i always want to take them home and rescue them.

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 30, 2011

There are a lot of wild and stray cats here on Okinawa. I am thinking about putting some dry cat food in my car just so I can pull over and feed some of them sometimes. They won't come up to you but one just about broke my heart a few weeks ago.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

I have loved cats all my life. We have two now, Eddie who is 18 and Redman is 8.(that's his photo in my avatar.) Eddie is so old and it's hard to see him getting so slow as he was always very strong and muscular! He's all black and his fur feels like velvet...he's a big baby and loves being held on his back, stretched out a mile long.
    Redman was a stray that appeared in a tree in the back yard one day. He was about half grown...meowing like crazy. I called him, he came running and jumped into my arms and wrapped his front legs around my neck! As his name tells you, he is a red , long haired ball of fluff and so lovey it's ridiculous sometimes! He throws himself at your feet and makes walking impossible so you have to stop and rub his belly and say silly things to him.
    I love this thread!

37. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2011

Grammy, that was one of the things I had to get used to with an inside cat. When Lizzy is ready to be petted, she WILL be petted, lol. If that means flinging herself down on the floor in front of me she'll do it. It's like she knows no fear. She'll be sprawled in my chair and I'll move to sit down and hover right over her - she just stares and waits, she knows I won't do it. Also, if there is something on the floor, she MUST lay on it. I literally can lay a piece of paper on the floor, she'll stand, stretch, slowly meander over, and plop down on it. When my friend was deployed in Afghanistan and I would send him packages, he always commented on the cat hair that would show up in it. That was because she had to jump in every box and lay in there until I forced her out! (He's a cat lover, so he didn't mind at all! :) )

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 31, 2011

Booger weighs a whopping 17lbs. There is no denying him when we wants attention. He'll get right in your face or just sit on your feet. He also knows where the power button is on my laptop and has been known to turn it off in a particularly insistent mood.

39. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 31, 2011

I have three cats right now. They are from the same litter, but you would never guess that.

Scooter has long black silky hair, white boots and a white neck line. He shows his Maine Coon roots the most. He is obnoxious; thinks he is the boss. He hisses and spits a lot if he doesn't get his way. But he's also the most loving. He's extremely jealous. If I pet the others, he comes running and tries to knock them out of the way.

Beau is mentally challenged. I've never had a cat that dim-witted. He has short gray hair and a burst of white around his neckline. He is afraid of everything. Right now, garbage bags are a particular conern of his. Right now he is howling because he has forgotten how to use the cat door to get outside. He is also the hunter, and brings me lots of treats which he devours. (Disgusting. That's all there is to say about that.) But he has beautiful eyes. They are so innocent and sweet.

Maddie, or Little Girl, is a princess. A diva. She's tortoise shell, and I don't think she's particularly pretty. But she does. She sees me about to sit down in my office chair and jumps up behind me and sits there...plays with me like that. She understands everything we say to her, from "Get off my chair" to "Do you want a treat?" to "Where's your toy?" She's been hurt badly twice, so she usually hangs out inside the house. When she's outside, she climbs a tree and jumps over to the roof.

My son had to help the mother cat give birth to two of them. She wasn't able to push the last two out and was getting exhausted. Ick. I wasn't home, so he "manned" up and did it.

She died two years ago. So now we have three. Three brats. Three very different sounding, different personalities, different looking cats.

I love them all.

40. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

Christy, that's so funny about laying on paper...and the chair! Eddie, the old black cat loves to sleep in our recliner (husband's chair) and he always says, "What are you doing in my chair?" He moves him to the couch (I never move a sleeping cat!) Both cats go outside, not old Grampa Eddie so much anymore.
    mmswm, both of my cats are about 15#, but Red looks much heavier with all the fur. I love to throw him over my shoulder and we walk around like that...looking at stuff!
    Shouldbeasleep, you have quite the variety living with you! Redman understand what we say to him, too. When I call him, he comes running like a dog, which is really funny when he's outside because he comes running like a bull!

41. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 31, 2011

I just love all the kitty photos you all posted. I just love each and every one of your beautiful kitties! What pleasure they bring to our lives, each one with a unique personality.