Casey Anthony Trial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teach'em, Jun 7, 2011.

1. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

ok ~ anyone surprised that the defense waited until Saturday, day 25 of trial, to have competency hearings? WOW

2. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

Could she be a functioning retarded person?

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

:spitwater:

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

Her attorney is throwing out so much bull, that the jury will be confused and won't agree on a verdict-RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

Through imitation she functions as a "normal" person but when it comes to higher brain functions she can't handle it thus "less advanced in mental development than is usual for one's age."(retarded)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Can you give an example of her not being able to handle it when it comes to higher brain functions?

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

Is that why court was adjourned early on Saturday? I was so disappointed. I don't think they even got through any witnesses.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Wow.

Most likely her lawyers raised the question to dissuade her from wanting to testify. Or perhaps she is not being helpful in her own defense, probably tied to her family issues...Could be anything...her counsel seems shady at best...could be a ploy.

"Competency hearings investigate the defendant's capacity to:

appreciate the charges or allegations against the defendant;
    appreciate the range and nature of possible penalties, if applicable, that may be imposed in the
    proceedings against the defendant;
    understand the adversary nature of the legal process;
    disclose to counsel facts pertinent to the proceedings at issue;
    manifest appropriate courtroom behavior;
    testify relevantly; and
    any other factors deemed relevant by the experts."

She has been declared competent to continue.

9. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I think she has a metal disorder and needs help. Just my two cents.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

I'm not sure about metals,:whistle: but three psychologists found her mentally competent to continue with the trial. More likely, she has a personality disorder which does not preclude her from being declared competent. In any case, I wonder if the doubt incurred due to this mid-trial competency will if not plant questions in the jury's minds may be considered on appeal if she is found guilty.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2011

I don't think the jury knows anything about the competency hearings. I think all of that was done without the jury present.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

Good point.:thumb:

13. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 29, 2011

This is the first day I've watched the Casey Anthony trial. I saw Casey Anthony wink at her father (when the jury left right before lunch break). I'm no expert on non verbal communication by any means but if my classes in college taught me anything… it means something.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

Her dad was breaking down all day...they showed Casey's face last night as her dad left the stand...kind of an evil smirk. So nice that she feels confident enough to wink, smile and smirk on a day when her child's skeletonized body was discussed.:mad:

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2011

I've seen bits and pieces...the whole thing just makes me sick!!!

16. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 30, 2011

I just saw something that she is not taking the stand and the defense rested their case.

I find, from just watching it for one day, the entire family is a bunch of dysfunctional liars. However, from what I've read along with what I saw yesterday on T.V., I am even more confused now than before the trial started.

I am so glad I am not on that jury!!!

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

Following the trial (God help me).

The whole competency discussion was done with the jury out of the room. They will not know that any of that went down. When trying to guess what they will decide (vs what WE decide), it gets muddied up because we know of all the things that have happened that they are not privy to.

That family is definitely odd. But over all... you have to feel for them. Caylee was their WORLD. Now not only have they lost her - but after this is said and done.... they will have to live with all the skeletons in their closets known to everyone.

I think Casey will get life in prison without the possibility of parole. I think she deserves the death penalty (yes, i am for the death penalty in some cases). But she has now alienated herself from ALL her family and friends. That's going to be one LONG, LONELY life in prison for a young lady who did it all so that she could go out and live the "beautiful" life (parties, socializing, hot body contests). I would say that her cell should be plastered with irremovable pictures of Caylee - including those of the AFTER shots - but that would only affect a mind that feels guilt.... and she does not.

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

Speaking of Nancy Grace's show with all the photos shown over and over....

is it just me - or are there many many more new photos and videos now? Before it was the same one's over and over (That one - the last video - with her snuggling with her great grand-dad in the nursing home gets to me. :( ). I have a theory on this.

I think that since Casey (and Jose) turned the entire case onto George - and continually throws her mom, dad, and brother under the bus (Sheeesh, the other day she was helping the lawyers at her table find the area in their notes with which to attack her mom), the family has come around to seeing Nancy Grace (the bulldog who has hounded their daughter) as an advocate who stood up for Caylee the entire time. After all - yesterday, the family's lawyer was on Grace's show talking and acting as if they (the Anthony's and Grace) are all on the same side (that Casey is guilty and must be convicted for the crime). I think all of the new pictures have been given to Grace by the Anthonys, themselves.

And those pictures..... she is (sadly...was) SO precious!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

Caylee's birth father

Has anyone seen the claim of the woman who is convinced that her son (killed in a car crash) was the birth father of Caylee? They were showing pictures of Caylee with the son (both as a man and as a boy) and with the possible grandmother (as a young girl)...and I think they have a match.

They will not be doing DNA testing...at least not until the trial is over. But can you imagine? Realizing that this might be YOUR grand-daughter TOO????

The son had conveyed information to this possible grandmother before his death that lead her to believe that his girlfriend (or former girlfriend) was pregnant - with a baby girl. Had a father named George who was an ex-cop, and mother/nurse named Cindy. And the last name was Anthony. In the Orlando area.

When I see those new pics of Caylee - I can see the resemblance to the possible grandmother as clear as night and day.

So sad.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

She is not taking the stand. If I were on trial for murder, especially of my own child, and I were innocent, you better believe I would want to announce my innocence to the world.

Can you give examples of them all being liars? Casey Anthony is for sure. I know there have been some changes in depositions and what has been stated in the court, but I think the fact that it has been 2 years, time has passed, and memories might not be as good (I have a horrible memory, so I can understand someone having difficulty recalling some specifics). In addition, when all of this happened, the family was going through a great, traumatic experience, which could have affected them mentally as well. I remember when my dad was dying of cancer, and that whole time period was confusing for me. I forgot to pay bills, and even the registration on my car. I was just going through so many emotions, and my dad was number 1. You don't care or think about bills when someone you love is on his/her death bed. I imagine it was the same for the Anthonys, not knowing where Caylee was.

21. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

Did you all see that a court spectator was found guilty for contempt of court? He flipped the prosecutor off and someone showed the judge a picture. The judge doesn't play! The guy was sentenced to 6 days in jail! What are your thoughts?

I think it is a tough lesson to be learned. I also think a 28 year old should know better especially since there were so many signs posted.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

The judge did the right thing.

23. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

I agree, Czazca. The judge did do the right thing. I wonder if this guy was just hoping for his "15 minutes of fame". If so, he got it...

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

The trial, as any, is a serious matter. The judge was right and just in the consequence.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

It could have been declared a mistrial or brought up on appeal had it not been dealt with.:mad:

26. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I don't think having dealt with it prevents it from those possibilities. It seems a little thin as justification for a mistrial, but not impossible.

I haven't been watching the case, but I do notice that a lot of people here are focusing on the mother not having the right emotional response. While this is interesting, it's not really great evidence as to what actually happened -- even assuming she's a sociopath, a sociopath may have a child accidentally die and have a reaction similar to a sociopath who actually killed their child. You don't convict a sociopath of being a sociopath, you convict them of an actual crime (from the sound of things, her credibility is shot -- making it sensible not to put her on the stand, since the jury wouldn't believe anything she said anyway).

It sounds like the physical evidence is weaker than I might hope. A skeleton, with some duct tape on it.

I think she probably did it, and will probably be convicted for it. But I'm not sure it's for the right reasons.

27. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 2, 2011

They found the exact sticker that was placed on Caylee's mouth in Casey's bedroom. Multiple of the same sticker. hmm

She also changed her story many times. An innocent person doesn't do that. AND her truck smelled like a dead body. Guilty to me. 100% I hope she rots in hell.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

I agree. Yes, as the beginning she said Zanny the Nanny kidnapped her daughter. Then, when the trial began, her story had changed and it became (and currently is) that Caylee accidentally drowned and Caylee's father helped to hide the body. So, she admits to having known her daughter died, but then she never reported it. This story makes no sense because what would George's motive be in helping to hide the body? The defense is just trying to create doubt. That's all they can do, and all they really have to do.

I think we do have to look at Casey's behavior because it tells us a lot. In addition, how in the world can one explain why the back of her trunk smelled like human decomposition? I actually have been following this case since it first broke out in 2008, and I think it is quite clear that Casey is guilty.

29. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 2, 2011

I remember still being pregnant with my daughter during this and could not wrap my head around why someone would do this to their child and how someone could be out partying when their child is missing! All I could do was rub my belly and shake my head when I first heard the news about this.

I'm still so curious as to the identity of Caylee's biological father though. Was that ever disclosed?

30. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 4, 2011

yea!! no mistrial!!!!!!

31. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2011

Did you see that Judge Perry almost found the lawyers to be in contempt of court? Ashton was laughing at Baez during the closing arguments.

32. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 4, 2011

Wow. I'm happy I'm not on this jury. (BF and I were talking yesterday and said that we're happy about two things 1) he didn't get that job in Pinellas County so we didn't have to move there and 2) they went to Pinellas County and not the county we live in to find the jury!!)

Before closing statements I wasn't sure about anything. Part of me wanted to say guilty and part of me wanted to say not guilty (of murder). After listening to closing statements (yesterday) I have to say that I don't think the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt enough to convict of murder 1. After listening to the rebuttal today, even though the prosecution closed VERY strong, I still believe they did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt enough to convict of murder 1.

33. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 4, 2011

Today Baez was making a lot of facial expressions. I'm surprised the Judge let that go today after what happened yesterday.

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2011

As much as I believe Casey is guilty, I think you might be right. They weren't able to completely prove the she did it, so I think she will be convicted, but perhaps not of murder 1. But I believe wholeheartedly that she is guilty.

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2011

But, having said that, all the testimonies of there having been a smell of human decomposition in the back of Casey's car is going to be hard to forget, and link her. So, it's hard to say what the jury will think of that.

Plus, the finding of the same sticker in Casey's room, and one on the duct tape is interesting. But, by trial time, the imprint of that sticker on the duct tape had disappeared, but I still find it very interesting, and likely not a coincidence. I am convinced of Casey's guilt in this.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2011

Interesting. I didn't see it this morning. I am surprised JP let it go, given yesterday's occurrence.

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2011

It's in the jury's hands now...

38. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2011

Are any of the channels doing a jury watch right now? I turned it to TruTV and some cop show was on.

39. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 4, 2011

HLN is on verdict watch with a jury clock (at 46min as of right now).

I wonder how long it's going to take.

40. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 4, 2011

Casey Anthony was really bad as well. I saw a lot of posts on HLN's facebook saying that she needs to cut out the faces, rolling eyes and whispering- if she wanted to talk she should have taken the stand. I agree with the people who posted that. I guess she thought it was okay considering that she didn't sit in the jury's view.