Casey Anthony Trial

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teach'em, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 7, 2011

I apologize if a thread along these lines has already been posted.

Has anyone been watching the trial? I usually catch the nightly news coverage disussing what happened that day. Though her attorney is trying so hard, I still think she will be found guilty...and rightfully so! She's seems so stone cold and self-centered...scary...:(

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 7, 2011

She's a sociopath. I hate her and I don't hate people casually. I have no respect and no good will towards child killers.

4. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 7, 2011

Agreed! I'm still trying to figure out if she is "evil" or "mentally ill." I figure she's both.

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2011

Just about the way I think of Nancy Graceless.
    "BREAKING NEWS" Tot mom kills little daughter and buries her one block from home. And then we see all the pictures over and over and over and over.
    She sensationalizes it every time the camera goes back to her show.
    The whole show pretends it is some sort of news cast with "experts" weighing as if they are on scene or from the street.
    The reason I know all this is my wife is addicted to it.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 7, 2011

I think Casey Anthony probably has a personality disorder that led her to get rid of a person who interfered with the world revolving around herself. Sick and so very sad.

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

Off topic, Happy Birthday! :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 7, 2011

Awww, TY.

9. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2011

I have followed the case all along. If little Caylee had drowned, the autopsy would have shown water in her little lungs. The "Tot Mom" is as guilty as they come.

10. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 9, 2011

But I thought they only found her bones?

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

Being a cockeyed optimist I find it hard to wrap my brain around a mom killing her child. But I do find her having a personality disorder of some kind, very indictable.
    The change of story is interesting. Casey Anthony is very immature so you can't rule out anything.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2011

I couldn't remember. But I bet there's someway to tell. And if your daughter accidentally drowned, wouldn't you call 911 and let them know it was an accident?!

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

Here is where I'm confused: She did seem to be a loving mother according to all who knew her. Not a smart mother, but no one has said that she hit the little girl or yelled at her constantly. She took her to some inappropriate places, but I just haven't heard of vicious behavior on the part of the mom prior to the death.

What I mean by "loving" is kind of like a parent of one of my kids this year. She loves her daughter, but she is a very poor mother.

So what made Casey Anthony snap? Or was it an accident and being a stupid kind of person, she simply covered it up and went on her way? The whole thing is confusing. That tape on her daughter's mouth is the act of a person who does something inhumane. Was she trying to kill her or keep her quiet?

I'm having such a hard time understanding and connecting everything.

But then again, I'm not watching it all the time either.

14. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 10, 2011

I agree with you stephenpe--Nancy Grace is a scumbag sensationalist, opportunist of the nth degree.

But I'm currently watching a show about this (because it inconveniently seems to have pre-empted one of my favorite shows), and I'm stunned as to why they even waste taxpayer money on a case like this...

Being a teaching forum, I would be curious to know her school history according to former teachers, what kind of child she was... it would be interesting.

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2011

It's a waste of taxpayer money to pursue whatever justice can be had for a murdered child? What would you suggest instead?

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2011

Tell us how you really feel .......:lol:

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

Has anyone heard whether or not Cindy or George Anthony believe Casey is guilty? They both supported Casey in the beginning, but I can't believe they can still think she's innocent after the new allegations that George sexually abused her as a child, and that George helped to hide the body. Clearly these lies would prove to the parents that she, Casey, is the murderer. Or else why lie? Has there been any word on how the parents feel now?

18. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 11, 2011

From what I understand, after the wild allegations from the defense, Cindy and George put out a statement by their lawyer that stated they just wanted justice for Caylee. I don't think they believe her lies anymore, and actually Cindy obviously didn't believe her daughter from the beginning which is apparent in the 911 calls when she wanted her daughter arrested.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

Cindy was skeptical from the start, but I believe in denial, and at that time unwilling to believe her daughter capable of such a thing. Even in the jail videos of their conversations, Cindy asked Casey if there was a chance of finding Caylee. I think Cindy always suspected that Casey knew more than she was willing to admit to. I was just curious if Cindy or George have made any public statements on where they stand now. I think it's telling that they say they just want justice for Caylee. I hadn't heard that statement, but it tells me that are accepting that Casey must have done it. Even One of Lee's testimony's made me think that perhaps he is done with Casay. He described actions/comments of Casey during the period when no one knew where Caylee was, and was clear that those comments'actions were ones that were unexplainable for one supposedly grieving over a missing child. I think he's had it too. Just my view on it.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2011

It's an unfathomable crime, but we hear of mothers drowning their own children, or killing them by some other means often enough to know that this does happen.

The new defense is that Casey did know Caylee had died, but that it was accidental. That doesn't explain why 911 wasn't called. It also doesn't explain the duct tape found on Caylee's skull. Why would you put duct tape on a child after she had accidentally died? The defense is just trying to put any sort of doubt in the jury's minds, but I think it is clear that Casey did this.

21. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 11, 2011

I agree 100%.

22. shouldbeasleep

Jun 11, 2011

If I were on the jury, at this point I'd have doubts as to why this was done. But it sure looks like the mother did this.

When that Susan person drowned her two boys in South Carolina, I understood her crazy reasoning. I understood when another lady did it a year or two ago. I get why the lady out west thought she had to drown her kids in the bathtub.

But I don't get why Casey Anthony did this. The closest I come is that the girl was just becoming an inconvenience to her. Something about not being able to go to Puerto Rico because she didn't have a babysitter.

23. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 11, 2011

I was listening to a prosecutor-turned-commentator say that the prosecution's case is not very strong. That stuns me, going by the special I watched on TV yesterday. I don't know the specific evidence, but just from the eye test:

-Her car stunk like a decomposing body
    -Her showing herself to be a ridiculous liar (e.g. leading police to her workplace, only to turn and tell them at the last moment that she really didn't work there)
    -Her actions after the little girl went missing (not being concerned, partying)

Her guilt is OJ-esque.

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2011

I do realize Nancy Grace hosts a sensationalist program, but that's what her audience enjoys. I don't see her as an opportunist. And, I'm confused as to what puts her in the "scumbag" category. That's such a strong word. She uses her position to sincerely honor fallen soldiers at the end of every show. I've often been deeply moved by her simple words that commemorate the lives of these soldiers. I will actually go so far as to say that these segments far outweigh the sensationalism.

25. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Jun 12, 2011

I also don't see at this point how the prosecution could lose, but we also have to keep in mind that the defense has yet to call their witnesses to the stand...no telling what they will pull out of their hat. I'm sure there will be friends of hers that said "yeah, I heard her dad call her beautiful..." and they will turn it into sexual abuse. Hopefully the prosecution will be ready at these times with great cross-examining.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2011

I agree with stephenpe and John Lee--Nancy Grace is a "lawyer" (a necessary evil), sensationalist, opportunist of the nth degree.
    Honoring fallen soldiers is great.
    but when it comes to cases she reviews, she is very opinionated and leans toward "Guilty until proven innocent" and that sells ad time.

As for OJ I believe he was the killer but I think Justice was not served in the case he WAS put in Jail for. It was kind like "what L.A. couldn't do Las Vegas could."

27. CocoC

CocoC Guest

Jun 12, 2011

Scott Peterson was given the DP - much less circumstantial evidence.

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 12, 2011

I watched some of the recaps of testimony last night (couldn't sleep-that didn't help much). She has a brother too-I also wonder what they really think about the situation.

I am also convinced she's guilty. The duct tape bothers me, the fact that the cadaver dogs found scents in the sand box in her backyard first-like she didn't know where to hide the body. And the internet searches for how to make chloraform and neck-breaking-who needs to know that?

I also can't stand Nancy Grace. I believe if you are going to televise court cases like she does regularly you really should be impartial in your coverage and keep personal opinions out of it. Do you know she has a daytime tv show now where she decides cases-like she's a judge or something. She's no Judge Judy, believe me.

29. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 12, 2011

I suppose I'm being a bit harsh in calling her a scumbag. I think I just have a low tolerance for "media members" who seem to make it (the news story) as much about them as the story itself. Plus, her manner... she just rubs me the wrong way.

If I was on the jury... and I know you aren't supposed to pass judgement til you hear all the evidence... I would basically already have my mind made up at this point. I'd be doodling on my notepad for the rest of the trial (sarcastic of course). IMO, those of us in society with natural common sense really should attempt to take justice by the horns when we can. In this case, no matter what screwups or circular logic a brilliant defense attorney tried to spin, there would be no convincing me in obvious cases like this. And I would feel obligated to stand up for justice... if not for the little girl herself.

It's like the OJ thing. I don't care what kind of 'Mark Fuhrman is a racist' defense Johnnie Cochran threw at me... there's no way OJ did not do the crime. So I'm not going to sit there and acquit him, knowing what I know.

30. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Jun 12, 2011

I heard on the news that there are two Casey Anthony trials, the one the public sees and the one the jury sees. The jury is apparently very censured and doesn't see everything that the media portrays to the public so the decision could be less easily decided for them.

As for me I think she is a sociopath who murdered her own child because she didn't want to be a mother anymore. However, I don't really care who it was, its just a tragedy someone took the life of such a beautiful little girl!

What's worse is I don't think we will ever know what truly happened.

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 12, 2011

When I heard about the Susan Smith case, my first thought was "She killed her kids because her bf/boss didn't kids in their relationship." After she did some interviews, though, I gave her the benefit of the doubt - only to find out I was right the first time.

When I heard about Casey Anthony and her actions after Caylee disappeared, I became convinced right then that she was the killer. NO normal parent would wait 30 days to report their child was missing. Most wouldn't even wait 30 hours. That was bad enough, but then we learn she was going "clubbing" with her friends and even entered a "Hot Body" contest -all while she supposedly had no idea about the fate of her daughter. :eek:hmy:

There is no way any normal parent could act that way.

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2011

From the Dictionary I looked up sociopath I got a picture of you guessed it...
    [​IMG]
    Sociopath - a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

33. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 12, 2011

But at the same time some would argue that a loving mother wouldn't be out partying and participating in hot body contests while her child was missing/found dead.

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 12, 2011

A lot of the pictures/recreated clips are shown to just the judge first, then a decision is made whether or not to show them to the jury. They also send the jury often for the many sidebars that are requested. I think they are just trying to make sure there are no causes for appeals in the future.

I think she may also have narcissistic tendencies-those types of people find it hard to be always thinking about "me" when they have children. They also lie often to keep that persona going.

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2011

How do you guys feel the defense is doing thus far? I have seen few testimonies so far to have a real opinion, but I think they have a tough job ahead of them.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2011

Oh boy, this testimony today is not doing much for the defense, in my opinion. He is testifying that it is his belief that the duct tape was placed on the skull after the death, which would mean that someone who have gone and picked up the skull, after the deterioration, and placed the tape then. Now, what would have been the point of that? I think this witness is helping the prosecution, not the defense.

37. shouldbeasleep

Jun 18, 2011

What you say about there being no point to putting the tape on a skull to put it back together is what I was thinking. But I think that bones man did a great job and the defense was helped quite a bit. He showed that the original autopsy wasn't complete. He showed that the body had been moved after decomposition. He also showed that he was most concerned with reporting facts and not conjecture. I thought he was great! He walked all over the prosecution.

So where does that leave me? Maybe Casey did drown in the pool. Maybe her father did help her hide the body. So now I have doubts as to accidental death or premeditated murder.

Of course, regardless of why, Casey is involved in either her death or a coverup, and she is lacking moral character. She def. would be a sociopath.

38. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 18, 2011

I don't think he showed the autopsy wasn't complete. My mom agree's with you should be asleep. The inside of the skull was visable without cutting it open. Dr G's to good to do a shoddy job and he lost me when he started accusing someone, anyone, he didn't know who might have messed with the evidence. Even the defense etomologist yesterday pretty much confirmed the body hadn't been moved. Why would anyone move her?? Anyway, it's a sad sad situation. My mom and I have had some lively debates on this. I have been leaning to accidental death and then Casey hid the body, but I don't think anyone else in her family is involved. I can't wrap my head around her and premeditated murder.

39. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

Anyone watch today?? Any guesses on what the new legal issue is?

And do you believe Cindy and Lee's testimony? I really think Cindy is stretching the truth about the internet searches and think that somehow the pros. will find something to put her out of the house that time and date; like a reciept or something. Lee's testimony was just strange . . . .

40. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2011

I missed Lee's testimony. What did he say?

41. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

This was his testimony yesterday ~Friday . . . he testified that he didn't attend the birth of Caylee because he was so angry with his mom and Casey because they didn't include him in the pregancy and that he really didn't know she was pregnant for a very long time. He got really choked up and cried. But what's strange is that they were all living in the house together, Cindy was making a nursery for Caylee and Casey lived there. Just really strange . . . . I think the defense is trying to make the family seem really disfuctional. But Baez never asked Lee if he touched Casey.