Caseload Numbers?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by weisemaries, Mar 21, 2008.

1. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

Can you share with me the number of students on your caseloads? I am feeling a little overwhelmed with my 41 7th and 8th graders (LD, MI, and Autism). Care to share how many you have and what grade levels you teach?
    :thanks:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 21, 2008

Our special ed teacher today said she had 39 on her caseload. I don't know how you all do it. I thought 13 was plenty!

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Mar 23, 2008

I've got 22 instructional kiddos. I'm the only special ed teacher in the building. I teach K-6.

5. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 23, 2008

Over the years I've had anywhere from an average of 30 (elem resource), to around 40 (all level deaf ed) to around 70 (all level speech).

6. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Mar 26, 2008

I currently have 40 and I teach 7-12. My kids are mainly SLD, but also MOMR, MIMR, ED, and OHI. I average 15 kids in my room each period working on 5 different subjects.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 26, 2008

Preschool special ed. By next week I'll have 17 IN MY CLASSROOM. I'm getting three new ones. Before school is out, I'll probably have 2 more.

8. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Mar 29, 2008

I sure hope you have support (ie paraprofessionals/aides) in there with you!

17 preschool special ed is ridiculous though, even with paras; that's just too many needy kids in one small area. Does your school have a limit before they open a new unit? Our's is one teacher and one para for 12 kids.

Are any of these AU? If they are their IEP AU supplements should address the teacher-student ratio, and that may actually require the school to adjust the number of instructors and/or the size of the class.

9. Reb0028

Reb0028 Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

wow I guess I have it easy. I teach 6th grade inclusion and I only have 4 students that are soley mine. But I have a few self contained that come in to some of my classes, that I do grades for, but ultimately they are the self contained teachers responsibility.

10. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

Apr 2, 2008

I have 26 on my caseload currently, but I am providing services to 28. Numbers mean nothing unless you look at the level of services you are providing to each student, the meetings attached to those services, and the amount of paperwork. Generally more than 20 students feels overwhelming to me. I am the only sped teacher in a K-3 building.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 3, 2008

I have 28 on my list... I am only 0.7 time though.

Basically I cover four classrooms (one grade two, one grade four, and two grade fives)... of those 28, I only see 17 of them on a regular basis.

12. areynolds

areynolds Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

What!!!

Are you telling me that you are responsible for writing and holding the IEPs for 41 students???!!!!I have 8 on my caseload and when I get 10, I feel as if that is a lot!!! Are you suppose to serve all of these students' IEP's? That is crazy!!! How is that even possible? I teach about 20 plus students all during the day, but the caseloads are divided up among all of the teachers.

13. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

Yes, It is true. I do the best I can with what I have. I have a wonderful teacher's assistant to help me out, but it is still tough. My principal is trying to convince the school board to add another teaching position next year, but money for our district is tight.

I posted this to see if my caseload was close to the norm, or very abnormal. Thanks for all the replies.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2008

When I used to be an RSP teacher for a year, I had 17 at the beginning of the yr & end w/ 24.

15. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Apr 16, 2008

Your principal seems very supportive. That must be nice. We have the same amount of kids and my principal just told me that I am doing a horrible job and that I should be able to do all the IEP's, plus help out on the MET's, and have the students make enough progress to pass the AIMS (our NCLB standardized test). She's the main reason I am not coming back next year. Most of these kids read at a 5th grade level, how in the world are they supposed to pass a 10th grade level reading test?!?!

16. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 16, 2008

I have 19 on my caseload. However, some students I only see for inclusion math, or some just in self-contained English, or in inclusion English. Some I don't see at all, or only in a study skills course. I have both 9th and 10th graders, ranging from MR to learning disabilities in reading, written expression, and mathematics.

I am responsible for the 19 IEPs, but in my classes I service many others (11 in my self-contained class, about 15 in inclusion math, and about 12 in inclusion English).

I feel completely overwhelmed at this point (and we already had our IEP rush earlier this year). And then there are the usual behavior plans and reevaluations . . .

Having more than 20--I don't see how that is possible if you are actually teaching simultaneously . . .

I can't wait to get out of special education. Love the kids, fundamentally hate the paperwork.

17. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

I think its abnormal . I am only a sub ,but I sub often for just bout ever special needs class(thats what I am goin into I am in school now to teach it)in my area and the most I have seen is 20 but thats in a higher class like LD . The PMR classes are bout 10 at most. Please tell me this is not PMR that has 41 students.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

God bless you 41 special students,if I have that many Idk what I would do. God would give me the strength to do it I am sure. He gave me the major so I know he would help me ,but just GOD bless you!

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

I am sorry I just ready (LD ,MI, and autism). Are any of your kids PMR?