case of my stolen pens...

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by koocat008, Nov 12, 2006.

1. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Nov 12, 2006

Well, I have 7th graders. We were working on personal narratives all last week and this week. I wanted them to get practice in editing, so I had them do writer's workshop in their teams by grading eachothers' rough drafts. To do this, I decided it would be nice for them to use my special colored grading pens.....lo and behold three pens are missing. My two black pens, and one dark blue (which I told them were off limits since their classmates wouldn't be able to see the corrections they've made). The district I work for is a gang related district, so I know these colors were choosen for a reason. THe pens themselves are not a big deal to me, what is a big deal is the principal behind the "stealing". I even have an idea of who the culprit was and in all honesty he is a good student and him and I are working up toward a good repoir (while some other teachers on my floor find him difficult). I was thinking of mentioning the missing pens (during my morning announcements to them) and to ask them to anonymously put them on my desk sometime during the week, and tell them that If they are still missing, I will keep that in mind when wanting to use special things for our classroom.

My question: Should I let this go?? They are only three pens...or should I mention it to them with what I mentioned previously? Do you think a problem like stealing can get worse/better if mentioned after the first episode? What do you think.......:eek:

ps. I'm a first year teacher, this group during my 7-8th period are my toughest.

3. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 12, 2006

I would do exactly what you said you should do, during morning announcemnets. then if they show up great.

explain to them that stealing is a bad habit to get into, pens are one thing in a classroom, but if you steal something during your shift at a workplace, people start to talk.

make some wise choices before your working so you can keep your job.

Anyway talk to your kids, I dont know them , you do.

Mr. Skinner :D

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 12, 2006

I would mention that some of your pens were not returned, perhaps inadvertently. I wouldn't do the lecture on stealing. They all know that already. Just assume that someone will be responsible enough to return the pens which wandered off.

5. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 12, 2006

I'm not so sure that they know that stealing is bad. If they're running in gangs, a nice teacher giving them a positive outlook talking about jobs, and buying a house, with a hummer in the driveway, is good for the kids to think about. Although they might have a hummer in the driveway, but not from an original purchase;)

It's just a thought, not really complaining either way.
    Mr. Skinner :D

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 12, 2006

I agree with Upsadaisy. I guess I have to make a confession... I am a pen stealer. I always walk away with someone elses pen. I now have to tell people to remember to ask me for their pen back or if they are missing a pen then to come to me.

I would not assume that they were stolen. I am sure that you have a lot more valuable things to steal than a pen. Just mention that 3 people forgot to return your pens and that you would like them to look in their locker/book bags and return them to you if they have them.

Next time you hand out pens maybe you could hot glue a fake flower to the top of them, that way you would get them all returned.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 12, 2006

Last week I subbed for a teacher who used masking tape to attach a big red silk flower to ink pens that the students were allowed to borrow. I noticed that they were all returned after the students used them.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 12, 2006

I'm a pen stealer too. It's absent mindness. In fact I buy a set of the same kind my teacher uses so that if I misplace a few, I don't feel too guilty.

9. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

Nov 13, 2006

I agree with aothers, you should mention it in the morning of the next day. Because stealing can be a bad habit, and even absentmindedly happens.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 13, 2006

When I saw this title I thought I would have to ask my dd if she stole them..... LOL........ she is the pen thef here. I just got a new set of gel pens and went around the house telling all the kids they were off limits (my own kids).

11. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Nov 13, 2006

THank you everyone for your replies...just to give you a quick update. I announced the missing pens at the beginning of class without placing blame on anyone, or even mentioning that I think they were probably stolen. I told them to check their bookbags/lockers, and if they find them they can put them on my desk. I also reminded them that I will be wary of using my own supplies if they continually show up missing, even if by mistake......

I hope that will nip this problem in the bud, and hopefully no other stealing issues will come up. So far, nothing big has gone missing. If anything though, talking to them this morning really did give me a peace of mind :)

thanks again, have a goooooooood week

12. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Nov 14, 2006

I would give SERIOUS thought to sharing your pens ... PERIOD!! I have 'student supplies' and 'my supplies.' Think about where those grubby little hands have been!! Just my opinion!!