Cars again

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 26, 2008

I know we've had a thread about this, but we are in need of a car. It pooped out on Christmas day, thankfully near our destination. We would like a small SUV or a really user friendly sedan (read, my hubby wants an SUV...I don't see why we need that big a car...) My questions are these?

What is your car?
    What kind of milage does it get?
    What do you like about it?
    What do you dislike about it?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2008

I just got a 2009 Nissan Rogue in Sept, which is a compact SUV & it's in my avatar. I LOVE it! It's about 23 mpg. I honestly can't think of anything I dislike. I used to have a '93 Honda Civic & I wanted something different. Here's what I love:

- body style/shape/size
    - easy to get in & out
    - don't notice any blind spots
    - easy to back up
    - if blue is your favorite color, it comes in the perfect shade (the red is awesome too)
    - it drives so incredibly smoothly
    - I feel so safe in it
    - it has Bluetooth capability, but I don't have that
    - keyless entry, but not keyless ignition
    - perfect for both genders, from the singles to the soccer moms
    - moderately priced

Other compact SUVs that are similar are the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, which I'm glad I didn't get. Not that they're not good cars, but I just finished w/ a Honda for 15 yrs. It served me well.

If you want a tad larger SUV that's a little more luxurious, try the Nissan Murano. It's nice too.

Driving's never bothered me before, but I've fallen in love w/ driving again & it's so fun to drive! I have no regrets.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

4. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 26, 2008

What is your car?
    *I drive a Lexus ES350

*23 city about 30 freeway

* very smooth and quiet
    * lots of luxury things like AC blowing out the seats, to keep your butt cool in summer, heated seats to keep your butt warm in the winter, keyless entry, keyless ignition, bluetooth, on and on....
    * very solf leather seats
    * wood steering wheel which feels better than leather steering wheel when you cruse around...
    * 275 horsepower 3.5L which means plenty of power

* The thing I hate most about my car is it's turning ability. When taking a turn, it's body have a tendency to roll more than a BMW. I drive both lexus and bmws often and BWM is much funner to drive. So i wish the car could respond better on turns...

* acceleration isn't immediate unless it's in sport mode... Don't get me wrong, this car is no slacker, it can beat a IS250 no problem and has 0-60 in 6.2, on a full size sedan is pretty quick; but since Lexus wants the car to drive smooth all the time; so its computer thinks a lot to keep the car driving smooth, which i think cause the acceleration delay

I'm like you, I'm not a big SUV person either. I've driven a few, mainly big ones like Toyota Sequoia and 4runners; not my cup of tea. They are for people who is looking to have a lot of space in their vehicle. However, because they are so spacious, they lack agility of a sport car, and the smoothness of a sedan.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2008

My mom has a Hummer H3. She feels VERY safe in it, but she says there are quite a few blind spots. I've driven it too. We both agree that it drives very nicely!

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 26, 2008

I have a 2002 subaru outback wagon that I love. It currently has about 117,000 miles on it and I haven't put much money into it. It is great in snow and if I didn't drive 80 on the freeways I would probably get around 24 to 25 miles to the gallon or more. I will definitely be buying another subaru when this one dies.

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 26, 2008

I am looking at the Matrix or Vibe...Anyone have experiences with those? Does a bike fit in the back end of it?

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2008

What is your car? Dodge Charger
    What kind of milage does it get? About 25-27 with a V6- a Hemi will be worse!
    What do you like about it? The size- it is huge!
    What do you dislike about it? I got a base model, so all of my complaints have to do with options I don't have. But, that was my choice to sacrifice some options to save $$.

I DID drive an SUV. I LOVED it and if it were economical, I still would be driving it. Here are those stats:
    What is your car? Chevy Trailblazer
    What kind of milage does it get? 19 highway- 20 if you were lucky. It was usually closer to 16. When I worked 4 miles from home, I was lucky to get 14 MPG :eek:
    What do you like about it? EVERYTHING!
    What do you dislike about it? The gas mileage.
    My car is actually bigger from bumper-to-bumper than my SUV was. And the backseat is roomier. I gave up a lot of cargo room though.

If he wants an SUV and you don't, look at the crossovers. Like a Dodge Journey. And, not all SUVs get bad gas mileage. Jeep Libertys are nice and the Jeep Patriot gets even better gas mileage. I like the Chevy Equinox, too, which is a small SUV.
    Now is the time to buy- 08 models are very cheap!!!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 26, 2008

I have a 2007 RAV 4 and love it. I do dislike the heating system b/c it doesn't get warm enough and the heating ducts don't point at me. My friend has a Rogue but hates the little window at the back as she says that she has a hard time reversing with it. She loves everything else about it though;). I have heard excellent things about the winter driving capability of the Subaru Outback. I find the Jeep Liberty too compact, if you are sitting in the back seat.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

What is your car? Honda Civic

What kind of milage does it get? 40mpg hw, 35 city (it's a manual transmission)

What do you like about it? It's reasonably fun to drive, gets great gas milage and has a deceptively large trunk. I'm always shocked how much stuff I can cram into it.

What do you dislike about it? Putting three kids into the back seat of a civic can make it a bit crowded and loud.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 26, 2008

I love my honda minivan. It's a 2002 (the year my twins were born!) It is an amazingly easy drive. Turning radius beats many sedans, and it's so smooth and comfortable. Mileage is about 18city 25highway. It seemed enormous when we first got it (I sold my beetle to buy this van) but now it feels safe and comfortable.

Good luck with your car shopping!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

What is your car?
    I got a used Honda Civic Hybrid in September. I used to have an older Lexus LS400 (which has been passed down to DD) which is a lovely, solid, comfortable car, but we wanted one car that would get excellent mileage. My hubby drives a 2000 Lexus SUV, so we have one big car for hauling stuff.

I'm averaging around 38-40 mpg.

The mileage is great, obviously - when I do have to fill it up, it only takes about 10.5 gallons, and then I'm set for at least a couple of weeks. It's fairly comfortable, easy to drive, easy to park. The heat and a/c are good. I really love the cupholders! They're deep and have little retractable "fins" inside that hold any size cup. There's a cover that slides over them, and that spot between the seats is perfect for my purse because the shift lever is set far enough forward. As another poster noted, the trunk is quite roomy, too.

The lights don't come on automatically, and several times I've driven some distance with just the daytime running lights on. There is a chime to remind you to turn them off. You can't get leather seats or power seats, but that's a trade-off for the high mileage.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2008

I thought the regular civic gasser got 40 mpg?

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2008

I drive a 2007 Kia Sedona Minivan. I LOVE it!!!

But since you asked about SUVs, my husband has a 1998 Subaru Forrester. He loves it as well!!

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

I can get that out of my regular civic, but it's a manual transmission and I drive VERY conservatively. I think regular civics get closer to 32-35.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

We have a 2008 Ford Escape. It gets around 21 MPG city, and HW is around 25MPG.

17. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 26, 2008

I have a '99 Subaru Forester. I love it! I've been able to plow right through a foot of snow in it without any trouble. I'm not sure about gas mileage, it's good, but not great, though I'm not sure if the newer models are any better. I like that it sits up a little higher (but not too high) and has a little extra room when we need to move things like furniture and stuff, without being a huge monster of a car. Mine has almost 140,000 miles on it and as long as the maintenance is kept up, it runs great. I've heard of Subarus going to 300,000 miles. I would like my next car to either be another Forester or a Honda CRV. I like a car a little bigger than a sedan, but not a great big SUV.

18. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Dec 27, 2008

Do you just have one car Jaime? We often have only one car because we store the other due to no garage space. We have talked about not getting one and making do with one...If that's what you do, how does it work?

We are down to the Nissan Rogue, Mazxa 3 wagon, and Jeep Compass...Maybe a Huyndai Tuscon...What a chore!!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2008

dizzykates, so the Nissan Rogue is now one of your choices! That's actually the ONE & ONLY car I looked at & test drove before getting it because I knew what I wanted. The physical appearance & price was right & I had no complaints when I test drove it, so I bought it.

Here's a couple of Nissan Rogue Owner discussion boards I found. You should read what actual owners think. Before I bought, I also looked up YouTube videos on the cars I was interested in.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=215

http://www.nissanroguesuv.com/

20. paola66

paola66 Rookie

Dec 29, 2008

It isn't very comfortable for the two back seater...

Yoy can see an example in you tube...My C3 it's orange!
    (It seems almost Roger Rabbit's car!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz0CAqI1b2U

21. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Dec 29, 2008

Overall, I like it. I would really like to be able to have more room than a 2 door.