Carpet Transition

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by prinjess82, Aug 15, 2008.

1. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I just moved from kinder and am trying to adapt my routines for older kids. I am looking for ideas on bringing kids to the carpet. In kinder we had frequent "carpet time" so I had monthly theme carpet songs, but they are probably too kiddish now. Any ideas on a general song or signal to come in an orderly fashion to the carpet when needed. Thanks.

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 15, 2008

Sometimes we call kids to the carpet by what they are wearing. (Meet me on the carpet if you are wearing tie shoes.) Or the color or type (skirt, sweater, jacket, etc). Later in the year we call them by two or more things (Come to the carpet if you are a boy AND wearing blue.) We also transition kids to and from the carpet by letters and sounds. (If you have the sound /m/ in your name, come to the carpet.) Calling the kids a few at a time keeps from some of the chaos! Hope this helps! :)

4. MissR

MissR Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

I usually just tell them to "meet me at the carpet" and if they don't do it orderly or quietly enough we go back to our seats and try it again until we get it right. We only had to redo it one time today!

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I have seen this many times in the school where my daughter goes and it works so well :D

6. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

I am aligned with MissR's style. LESS is more. I when it's time to start cleaning up I say "2 minutes." That's their way of knowing it's time to clean up. I usually help them clean for about one minute, or rove around, then I wait quitely at carpet.

If modeled, and used constantly, I have found it better than songs/clapping/etc... Personal preference I guess.

7. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I call them by table. I call tables that are sitting quietly first. I do the same when they go back to their seats. They like having the privileged of sitting down first and going back to their seats first. They also start to notice the other tables who frequently are the last ones to move because they are not sitting right.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I also call the kids either by table or I simply tell them to meet me on the rug. They know where and how to sit after we have practiced, practiced, practiced and practiced some more and they do a really great job!!!

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

I do sing songs to them to get them to the rug as well as all the other methods suggested.

10. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I call kids by table or give directions and ask everyone to meet me in the whole group area by the count of 10 (vary the number.) I keep it simple in second grade.