carpet "spots" ??

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kristie70, Jun 14, 2005.

1. kristie70

kristie70 Rookie

Jun 14, 2005

Does anyone have a clever way of marking the carpet so that the children know where to sit until they are "trained"? Our carpet is just a solid color and I don't think our principal would go for anything too drastic....any ideas for a temporary place marker?? ( I USED to paint apples on the carpet, but I think my new principal would die if I did that!!)
    Thanks,
    Kristie

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2005

duct tape

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 14, 2005

Petunia

Different colored sample carpet squares

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2005

Doesn't duct tape leave marks on the carpet, like sticky residue? We were told not to use tape on our carpets for that reason. In know that masking tape will eventually mark the carpets, but what about duct tape? I do like that idea.

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 14, 2005

Our K. teacher has used the smaller size hula hoops that you can get at the Dollar Store. Each child sits inside of one and knows exactly how much "space" is his. They can also be used for many other things: making venn diagrams, setting a board game in the center of, centers, playtime, etc. Just an idea! :)

7. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 15, 2005

Those foamy rubber placemats that you can get at Dollar Tree; they won't slide on the floor.

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 15, 2005

That's what I used at Head Start too, cheap, brightly colored plastic placemats from the Dollar Store.

9. kristie70

kristie70 Rookie

Jun 15, 2005

Has anyone ever tried velcroing a name tage to the carpet?? I read on another board to use velcro to attach the name tag....will that work?
    Thanks for all of your replies! I like the placemat idea--might give that a try.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 15, 2005

hmm... I like the little hula hoop idea... that gives them a physical boundary they can feel other than a small marker or a taped line... HMM!!!!

I could tape the hoops together so they won't play with each of them... would be too big if they are connected!

Lori

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2005

I've seen some teachers use small square rements from stores, parents who might just have gotten new carpet using both the old & new.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 15, 2005

I have a lot of carpet squares that I got for 25cents each at a salvage store. I thought that would be a great idea... wrong... they kept folding them up on the sides and scooting them. So, I put them up. But remember, I have preschool SPE and some of them have never had to sit still or mind an adult until they get in my room. :)

Lori

13. kristie70

kristie70 Rookie

Jun 15, 2005

I don't think carpet squares would work for me either....my kinders are really bad about playing with them too....but I love the idea of the children having a defined space...too bad our school didn't just buy those really cool rugs from Lakeshore that have different colored squares all on them or the alphabet....they would be perfect! I was realling thinking of something that would not have to be picked up all of the time--because we use the carpet area for other things during center time.
    I appreciate all of the suggestions! :)

14. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 15, 2005

This doesn't help with your marking off situation, but at Sam's, they have the cutest primary colored foam rubber mats. I think they were four to a package. They hook together and each child gets their own square. They are really easy to clean (sweep, vacuum, mop, etc.). That might cost you a little, but they are truly great and last from year to year. Just don't allow pencils on the foam carpet. At my school, they throw away the carpet if it gets vomitted or peed on, so these were fantastic for us.

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 16, 2005

I've got some of those mats from Sam's. 8 squares in the pack for around $15 I think. I kept 4 in my room for my "babies" to lay on and gave 4 to the adaptive PE teacher for my "babies" to stretch out on down there.

I thought about buying a rug from those companies, but with as many puking and peeing accidents we have in our room at times. The rug would NOT survive!!! LOL

Lori

16. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Jun 16, 2005

love the hula hoop idea, I'd snatch that in a heartbeat if I was teaching lil' ones.

17. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 16, 2005

Hi,
    I'll just throw this in for you to think about... I used to mark the carpet with masking tape. I tried individual names as well as just a straight line of tape to mark a row. The custodians weren't too pleased and I also had some kids that kept trying to pull the tape off. I used individual carpet squares for a while but some kids were picking at the binding. I bought a 300 dollar rug... beautiful, with shapes on it, in the shape of a triangle. I assigned a spot to each kid and I ALWAYS have too many kids that seem to be too far away from me. They also still need reminders about how to sit nicely. Every year I teach summer school where I don't use any of those options...I simply ask kids to sit in a rainbow. (or a smile?) I don't determine where they sit, just how they are to behave. I feel I like this best of all. It's much less problematic. Nothing for kids to pick on, nothing to put away, easy to adapt for different situations. (Move the rainbow back, make it bigger, make it smaller, have two rows, three... rainbow here, there. ) If someone isn't behaving, I just say "please sit here." And no one says, that's my spot!
    jeanie

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2005

Thanks for sharing...and ya know? I think you are right! I have an area rug. The last one I used was blue and I would say, ok sit on the 'blue" rug. When that one wore out, I got a black one with a white border. Now I say, ok, sit on the "black" rug...and it does work quite well! If someone persists in bothering others, I have them sit up closer to me. Sometimes the "spots" are more trouble than they're worth! Last year I did something kind of fun. We have child size chairs and I had them set out in a half circle and that worked just great. No repeating criss cross applesauce 150 times and no on laying down during story time!!!

19. Bernard

Bernard Companion

Jun 18, 2005

For marking the rug AND being able to rearrange seats as needed, try laminating (or contact papering) paper die cuts or other name tags. Attach a couple of adhesive dots of the hook side of the velcro to the back of each. They stick to the rug pretty well and can be moved.

I've only had a couple of children pull them off, and then you have the child give you his/her name tag for the rest of the group time.

You can also put the loop dots of velcro on the back of your chairs and use the same labels to mark seats at the table.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2005

There is this sticky stuff that is not very sticky at all - it can be used on walls and is removable without removing paint or leaving residue. It is mostly used for posters. I don't remember the name of it. It comes in colors and is sold in teacher stores.

21. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jun 18, 2005

Are you thinking of Sticky Tak?

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 18, 2005

Isn't Sticky Tac that gum type of stuff? No, this comes on rolls and is the thickness and feeling of a sheet of craft foam, but is sticky on both sides.

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2005

I've seen a teacher get those carpet sample squares, and tape them together (on the wrong side) to make a large carpet of rectangles. Each child can have their own rectangle (assigned seats or not), and the samples are free or cheap, and easily replaed if just one gets stained or torn. You can make it as big or small as needed.
    Kim

24. AuntieM

AuntieM Rookie

Jun 19, 2005

please I beg you!

DON'T use FUN Tack on Carpet!!!! it does NOT come out and your janitorial staff will hunt you down! I put myself through college as a cleaning lady in a sorority house, trust me Fun tack does not come out of carpet willingly!

25. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jun 28, 2005

Wal-Mart has alphabet foam squares for under $15.00. They lock together to make a huge puzzle. I let my students take them all over the room to lay on the floor and write or play somewhere quietly. They also have these at Lowe's but they are a little more expensive.

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2005

This is what I used for awhile, until my cat started eating it :mad: . We now have a small car mat and each of the kids picks a building to sit on. I only have to deal with 6 kids at a time though. The foam squares at Sams are great. I got similar ones from Target. They come 6 in a pack for $10 (I think). They were my favorite (darn cat!!!).

27. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

I have used 2 different things that work. One is belting. You can buy it by the yard at JoAnn's and then attach the rough side of velcro to it and it will stick to your carpet. You can make rows with it and pull it up when your not using it. Another thing I have done is use chalk on the carpet. It last for a few days and then you have to remark it. It comes up easy because of all the walking on it and the vaccum. :)