Carpet/Rugs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jen in NCal, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Where can you get cheap carpet or rugs? My room is totally linoleum and I want a carpet area up front. I was wondering if carpet stores sell remnants. I don't want to carpet squares, fifth grade behinds are too big for that.

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

Watch for sales at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, or Kmart. You can get a decent sized rug for a good price. Just don't go too cheap or it won't last you more than a year.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Try calling local stores as well as Home Depot and ask for remnants. I have always gotten free carpets by doing so. They often have overage or something they can donate.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 2, 2009

Sometimes I wish I had linoleum instead of carpet. Especially at class party times. But I agree with the other posters call around. That's how in the 80's I put carpet in my dorm room. If you can only get squares try duck taping them together. It worked in college.

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

THe first carpet I got was a huge remnant that was donated by a local carpet store. I happened to mention to the dry cleaner that I was searching for one and asked where I could find a carpet store in the area - her son worked for one and he dropped it off at the school. It was a light color - lasted one year in my room because one of my "good 'ol boys" tracked tractor grease on it. 1/2 of it I'd cut off and given to a fellow teacher who installed it under his own desk area and he's still using it. The next two years I used a 4x6 carpet I got for $20 at a local grocery store! I brought it home this summer to wash. Darker multi-colored so it doesnt show grime. I figure for the price I paid, I'm gonna wash it in the driveway with the power sprayer. I like the idea of duct taping carpet squares.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

you can buy foam mats at walmart, toyr us, and target, even Sam's club. They are good cushions.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Bed Bath & Beyond also has dorm-room sized carpets during back to school. If you use one of the ubiquitous 20% off coupons, they are reasonably priced.

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Here's the fire marshall party pooper. Be careful what you buy/get donated. Some picky fire marshall's may write your school up because it hasn't been treated with the fire retardant stuff. Just check with your P and your head custodian. They can help you figure that out.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2009

I have had one of the 19.99 rugs from Walmart in my room for almost 3 years now. It still looks pretty new (part of the edging came off, but it still works). My fire inspector never said a word about it (or my curtains).

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I got a rug at Walmart but it is not big enough for all my fifth graders. I also pick up carpet squares and they love them. That way they can take them anywhere they want in the room.

12. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 5, 2009

Search the yellow pages and see if there's a carpet discount store near you. That's where I got my carpets.

13. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

One of the teachers bought a really nice rug for her classroom. Unfortunately, later during the year the room failed fire inspection because of the rug. Just check with your school for fire issues. I know this teacher was pretty upset that no one said anything to her (knowing she had the rug), but yet when it came time for fire inspections she was written up. Good luck!

14. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I bought a large area rug at Ikea for about $20. I think the next size up, which was HUGE, was $30. I'm going to be using the rug for a whole group area and it was the perfect size for 3rd graders.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I mentioned to my parents at open house one year that I would love to have a rug for the kids. One of the parents brought one in for me. It was great!!!