Carpet/Rug

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Jazzy*Jai, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I am looking for ideas about where to get carpet squares or a rug to use for morning whole group. Last year I just had my kids on the floor and it was a mess because they were talking, touching each other, this one was in that one's spot, etc.
    Also how do you organize your whole group, how do they stay in thier spots without all the commotion?

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

If you go to a local carpet store they should be able to give you carpet samples which you can use as your carpet squares. Then each child has one to use and a place to sit.

4. LoveToRead

LoveToRead Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I used cloth placemats (like you would use at a dinner table) for my students in the beginning of the year. I'm not sure how these would compare price-wise to carpet squares, but they were a great size.

5. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

okay, thanks

6. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

TeacherMJ, can you tell us about how much a carpet square is? I would like to go but them, but I need 32 and am on a serious budget. Thanks!

7. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I have a large area rug which holds all 20 kids, the only problem is that they touch each other and are all over the place. I use masking tape to make a 20 by 20 or 25 by 25 area grid on the carpet. This way each child has a square or what resembles a rectangle area to sit in. I then have children sit in a boy, girl, boy, girl pattern all throughout the grid, this usually handles behavior problems. If you still have behavior problems move those children to the very front like literally right in front of you so that they have something to look at.

I work in a school where they don't purchase rugs for you unless they are completely in need of purchasing, but the ones that they did purchase are very impractical. They don't have squares or specific areas on them for children to sit on. This is why I make the grid. During circle (it's really a rectangle) time or when the kids read a decodable I say "Sit on the edge of the carpet or make a rectangle." They sit on the outside squares or make a rectangle for me. This works for me.

8. KinderCan

KinderCan Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Lowe's

My fabulous assistant found me one at Lowe's on clearance a while back. It is fabulous for carpet time because it has big colored squares on it- in fact I think 32 squares. It was almost $200 (our principal bought them for us) though, however, my friend found one almost like mine for a lot less on clearance also at Lowe's. You just have to look. Sam's has foam tiles in the school section in packs of 10? (I think) for $20. You would just need to buy 2-3 packs.
    They would also work well for carpet time!
    I tell mine from the beginning of the year, they are not to be touching, moving off their spot during circle time!:2up:

Good Luck! Hope this was helpful!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

I bought this for my class. I LOVED it! How students behave at the carpet involves being strict and consistent. However, if there is a problem, then it's easy to say, you change places with him/her. Now your new spot is the orange circle. Oh! And I also would use the carpet for games. I have it sitting in my garage right now. If you were nearby, I would loan it to you!

[​IMG]

10. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

Thanks everyone for the ideas,

Kindercan-Thanks for the Sam's idea. I'll go look at those tomorrow.

Peachyness- can you give me an example of the carpet games you would play?

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2008

It's been a while since I taught kinder..... letme think for a minute......

Okay, one fun game that I had them play was where I would call one student up and have him start at the big star. Then I would say, step to the orange circle, step to the green triangle, step to the red oval..... and I would eventually lead the student back to the star and then it was another student's turn. Sometimes, I would have two students do this together. They LOVED this game. Then, I would make it harder. Like, step to the four sided shape. Step to the right. Step to the left. Move diagonally to the red shape. Step to the nearest triangle. Step to the nearest green shape. Games like that.

We played these mainly when we had 10 minutes left for recess or lunch.

Oh, by the way, the whole class is sitting around the carpet's perimeter.